• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Which Nightforce ?? Hellllp

Cheeseburger1976

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2012
Zionsville PA
Ok so having SAC build me a custom 7PRC, I’m calling it a hunting rifle but will shoot steel more than anything. So I don’t want a large heavy scope like my ATACR 5-25

So I’m thinking NX8 2.5-20 Or the 4x32

I like the low of the 2.5 but the higher magnification of the 32. Haven’t looked through either, wondering if the 32 is actually effective or does it get blurry at that high magnification with only a 50 mm objective lens.

ALSOOOOO considered the ATACR 4x20 for the better glass. But the price point is much higher and Will I really noticed the difference between that and the NX8???

Again rifle is built on a manners pro Hunter stock with a Proof carbon fiber barrel to keep it light so wanted to keep the scope light as well. And yes it has to be a NF

Unless you REALLY need a higher mag range, I’d go with the 2.5-20. I’ve owned both and currently run the 2.5-20 a lot. It’s a good scope. Some ppl say the eyebox is tighter on it but with good repeatable positioning on the gun, I don’t notice an issue for me in my uses (mostly comp shooting).

I used to think I’d want the higher mag range scopes but really dialed it back and started shooting more on lower power. The 20x does what I need and I’d say I hover between 8-12x the most these days.

Reactions: Stevo86 and simonp
I guess its a bit of personal preference but I went with the 4-32 on the exact same gun (7 prc, Manners pro hunter, proof CF, Terminus action) and love it. Took a really nice whitetail at about 25 yds in woods and didn't struggle with the 4x low mag. It also allows a bit more flexibility when mounting the which I needed with my split pic rail. Can't wrong with either though!

Reactions: Cheeseburger1976
Ok so having SAC build me a custom 7PRC, I’m calling it a hunting rifle but will shoot steel more than anything. So I don’t want a large heavy scope like my ATACR 5-25

I like the low of the 2.5 but the higher magnification of the 32. Haven’t looked through either, wondering if the 32 is actually effective or does it get blurry at that high magnification with only a 50 mm objective lens.

ALSOOOOO considered the ATACR 4x20 for the better glass. But the price point is much higher and Will I really noticed the difference between that and the NX8???

Again rifle is built on a manners pro Hunter stock with a Proof carbon fiber barrel to keep it light so wanted to keep the scope light as well. And yes it has to be a NF
Of those 2 options... The NX8 4-32x50 MIL-XT is an excellent scope. Buddy of mine has both of those, and we both prefer the 4-32 for the extra top-end.

If you can afford to jump up to the ATACR, go ATACR. I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT. Great scope. Glass is ok for what I paid for it, but still pretty damn solid optic.

Reactions: Travis224
ALSOOOOO considered the ATACR 4x20 for the better glass. But the price point is much higher
Well it depends on what price you're thinking for the ATACR. It would be about $400-500 more than an NX8 4-32. EO has been selling like new demos of them for months. I'd bet a fair bit of money that one or both of these hasn't been handled by anyone.

Last edited:
FWIW the 4-20 and 5-25 virtually weigh the same. It's one of the seriously missed opportunity of the 4-20 IMHO. I like the 4-32 more than the 2.5-20. For a bolt gun between the two NX8s i think the 4-32 unquestionably gets the nod.

Well it depends on what price you're thinking for the ATACR. It would be about $400-500 more than an NX8 4-32. EO has been selling like new demos of them for months. I'd bet a fair bit of money that one or both of these hasn't been handled by anyone.

Yea EO is actually about 2 hours from me. I plan to take the trip up there once the rifle is done. Still uncertain which way I’ll go But I appreciate it

Reactions: FuhQ
Of those 2 options... The NX8 4-32x50 MIL-XT is an excellent scope. Buddy of mine has both of those, and we both prefer the 4-32 for the extra top-end.

If you can afford to jump up to the ATACR, go ATACR. I have an ATACR F1 5-25x56 MIL-XT. Great scope. Glass is ok for what I paid for it, but still pretty damn solid optic.
I actually have an ATACR F1 5-25 on my 6.5 creed which is why I only want NF. Interesting about the weight of the 4-20 close to same at the 5-25

I like my 4-32x50, sits on top of my 18in gas gun. Maybe a tad overkill for a 223 gas gun, but it won’t leave me wanting more that’s for sure.

The 2.5-10 on my 7-08 is handy as well, but might not be enough high mag for you. I have put about 120 rounds through the 08 with that scope and it seems to be pretty nice so far

"...like new demos of them for months. I'd bet a fair bit of money that one or both of these hasn't been handled by anyone."
Right. One of the two 'like new demos' I've bought came with the factory seal intact on the box. That one was an NF NX8 4-32x50. The other, a Leica, had the seal cut but looked like it had never been opened.

This sounds like a lot of the 3-18 stuff would suit. My 3.5-21×44 Delta stryker has been pretty good and a fair bit lighter than the 5-30×56, they probably could have trimmed the elevation turret down a touch.

Some things to consider
  • The higher the erector (magnification range) the more finicky the design and by finicky we're talking about tighter eyebox, narrower DOF and more fiddling with the parallax; doesn't mean it'll be "bad" just more... finicky.
  • ATACR = better glass and better turrets and likely better build quality. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is a better scope for your specific needs. If you need a shorter scope or you really need 2.5x then the NX8 would be better for you, does that make sense?
  • Look at FOV numbers, the NX8 4-32 has wider FOV at 4x than the ATACR 4-20; however, the ATACR picks up quite a bit of FOV once you go above 4x, but if you plan to use a lot at 4x then better FOV will likely benefit you more.
  • Secant mentions the ATACR 4-16x42, this is an excellent scope and one of the better crossover options on the market and its FOV at 4x is even better than the 4-20 and 4-32 are at 4x. Don't let 16x fool you, you can easily shoot out to 1.5 miles at 16x, but if you want higher magnification for PID then I understand.
  • Any 50mm objective scope is going to start to get dark above 20x, some more than others, how much this bothers you depends on how your eye perceives this.
  • Sounds like the trip to EO will be well worth it, you should have opportunity to see all these scopes, maybe even ask if you can take them outside (indoor lighting stinks for evaluating scopes).

I have a few 7-35's, two 4-32's and a 4-16. The NX8's blur around the edges compared to the ATACR but it's not enough to cause any issues. The 4-16's (I've had four or so over the years) have great glass and the locking elevation turret. Over time I've begun to use higher power and the FOV at 16 isn't very much.

The 7-35 weighs within 2 oz. of the 5-25 ATACR which is what I originally ran. I don't shoot much in any situation with an F1 reticle on low power so I have the 7-35 as my primary optic. It's heavy.

For a competition rig, the ATACR is where you want to be. For a hunting rig the 4-16(20) ATACR or NX8 is where you'd want to be. For a dual firearm, the 4-32 NX8 is near impossible to beat.

I actually have an ATACR F1 5-25 on my 6.5 creed which is why I only want NF. Interesting about the weight of the 4-20 close to same at the 5-25
Honestly, I would also give a serious look to the Zeiss LRP S3 4-25x50 ZF-MRi (MRAD). I have the 6-36x56 version for a little over a year now, and it’s absolutely solid, with excellent and bright glass. Weight is similar to the ATACR 5-25x56.

The Kahles K624i CCW RSW SKMR4 is also in that same price and weight range, got 2 of these, as well…Highly recommend them, too.

If weight is not too big of a deal, EuroOptic has the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 in black (EuroOptic exclusive) for $2549. Phenomenal scope and glass. You’ll almost forget how chonky it is (45oz.) when you’re looking through it, but a damn solid scope.

If you’re wanting light(ish) weight, but a crossover type scope, the Kahles K318i CCW RSW SKMR3 is phenomenal. It’s what I run on my main deer rifle. The rest of my lightweight hunting rifles run Zeiss V4 6-24x50 scopes. Unfortunately, they’re only offered in MOA, but I can use both MOA and MRAD calculations, so It’s not hard for me to crossover…Just takes a second to rewire my brain.

@Glassaholic do you feel the 4-16's objective diameter could be limiting in low light for hunting?
I bought a 5.5 x 22 x 50 NF for 1.499 hard to beat that scope for hunting for that price !!! Don’t know what the other scopes cost that’s been talked about. Actuallynot a bad all round scope. Bought it at camera land .

I bought a 5.5 x 22 x 50 NF for 1.499 hard to beat that scope for hunting for that price !!! Don’t know what the other scopes cost that’s been talked about. Actuallynot a bad all round scope. Bought it at camera land .
That must be the NXS? Old technology compared to what’s out there now. You can pick up a used ATACR 4–16 for about $1800. The atacr have significantly better glass. It’s a different generation of scopes entirely.

The NXS is comparable to the older Sightron SIII or first gen Vortex Viper PST. May even be second vs first focal plane in this case as well

Reactions: FuhQ

Feel free to give me a call and I can discuss it with you at 916-628-3490 - Richard

Some things to consider
  • The higher the erector (magnification range) the more finicky the design and by finicky we're talking about tighter eyebox, narrower DOF and more fiddling with the parallax; doesn't mean it'll be "bad" just more... finicky.
  • ATACR = better glass and better turrets and likely better build quality. But that doesn't necessarily mean it is a better scope for your specific needs. If you need a shorter scope or you really need 2.5x then the NX8 would be better for you, does that make sense?
  • Look at FOV numbers, the NX8 4-32 has wider FOV at 4x than the ATACR 4-20; however, the ATACR picks up quite a bit of FOV once you go above 4x, but if you plan to use a lot at 4x then better FOV will likely benefit you more.
  • Secant mentions the ATACR 4-16x42, this is an excellent scope and one of the better crossover options on the market and its FOV at 4x is even better than the 4-20 and 4-32 are at 4x. Don't let 16x fool you, you can easily shoot out to 1.5 miles at 16x, but if you want higher magnification for PID then I understand.
  • Any 50mm objective scope is going to start to get dark above 20x, some more than others, how much this bothers you depends on how your eye perceives this.
  • Sounds like the trip to EO will be well worth it, you should have opportunity to see all these scopes, maybe even ask if you can take them outside (indoor lighting stinks for evaluating scopes).
Excellent info thanks man

Reactions: Glassaholic
If weight is not too big of a deal, EuroOptic has the Vortex Razor Gen3 6-36x56 in black (EuroOptic exclusive) for $2549. Phenomenal scope and glass. You’ll almost forget how chonky it is (45oz.) when you’re looking through it, but a damn solid scope.
I love my G3R for PRS & shooting steel, but I'll recommend against it for this case. It wasn't designed as a hunting scope & it really doesn't excel there. Weight, size, & low light performance will leave you wanting, imo

I did an unscientific low light comparison between the 735 ATACR & G3R
@carbonbased I've never taken my G3R out in last light before, as it's just not a hunting scope for me. Vortex clearly designed the G3R for field matches & they really nailed it, especially considering the price point.

Mostly clear skies, spotted clouds. Both scopes @ 35x magnification only, ATACR has a sunshade, G3R does not. Observing tree limbs/bark, grass, barbed wire @ 700 yards, time from sunset:

-40min
735 ATACR resolving details slightly better.
G3R beginning to lose contrast but still fairing pretty well.

-20min
735 ATACR still resolving details on objects that are lit by ambient light and unlit in the shadows. Individual tree leaves remain distinct, even in shadows.
G3R has noticeably lost contrast, more difficult to observe tree bark & barbed wire in shadowed areas under trees. Tree leaves beginning to blur together.

-10min
735 ATACR largely same as above. Individual blades of unshadowed grass distinguishable.
G3R has lost significant contrast, warmth/yellows gone, image has greyed out. Tree leaves in shadows have blurred into larger masses, causing loss of depth perception in shadows. Shadowed barbed wire in front of unshadowed grass slightly more difficult to see, no dimension to wire perceivable (just a flat grey line). Unshadowed grass beginning to blur.

+0min
735 ATACR losing contrast, leaves in shadows beginning to blur/merge. Tree bark in shadows difficult to perceive, but some still slightly visible. Beginning to lose depth perception in shadowed areas. Shadowed barbed wire in front of unshadowed grass still visible, but no dimension to wire perceivable (just a flat grey line). Unshadowed grass beginning to blur.
G3R not doing so hot... shadowed tree leaves completely blurred/merged, no depth perception in shadows. Shadowed tree bark no longer visible. Some shadowed barbed wire in front of unshadowed grass no longer visible. Unshadowed grass blurred.

+10min
735 ATACR still resolving some of the shadowed tree bark. Noticeable loss of depth perception in shadowed areas. Would be able to see at least the outline of an animal in the shadows. Unshadowed grass mostly blurred.
G3R Woof. Shadowed areas very dark, no details, very few outlines. No detail in unshadowed grass. You could still make a clean shot on a target in the open, no question, but absolutely no chance of seeing a coyote sitting or deer laying down in the shadows.

+20min
735 ATACR shadowed areas too dark to see much of anything, only tree trunks. Could make a clean shot on target in the open.
G3R Shadowed areas completely dark, can't see anything. Would have difficulty distinguishing different kinds of motionless animals out in the open by shape alone. I would pass on any shot.

+30min
735 ATACR can barely resolve individual tree trunks, H-brace, & the white tops of T-posts. Although you could see the outline of an animal out in the open, I don't know that I'd be able to distinguish a calf from a deer. Taking any shot would be unethical.
G3R no joke:
1w0tn5kq5m661.jpg

"shadowed areas" means open/unobstructed areas underneath trees with heavy leaf coverage and no direct light.

TLDR; the G3R loses a given level of resolution 10-15min before the 735 ATACR.

The only other 2 comparisons I'd like to make are shooting into the sun & spotting another shooter to see how well each resolves the impacts on plate & spall.
The 735 ATACR also outperforms the G3R in mirage

@Glassaholic do you feel the 4-16's objective diameter could be limiting in low light for hunting?
Obviously you are limited by the exit pupil, so the 4-16x42 is going to offer a smaller exit pupil than a 50mm or 56mm objective scope, but perceived brightness is only one part of the equation when it comes to low light capabilities, how well the scope resolves color and contrast in low light also has a big impact on being able to "see" in these difficult conditions and this is an area where I feel the NF 4-16x42 really excels. That said, if your primary purpose is hunting in low light hours then a larger objective may be of benefit, the only way to know for sure is get two scopes out 20 minutes after the sun goes down and do some side by side testing at the magnification you think you'll be realistically using and see which your eye prefers.

I really, really like mine. I am not an NF fan boy.

I don’t find the eyebox tight, and I think it’s easy to get behind. For reference I also own a vortex 4.5–27, a S&B 5-25, a bunch of PST scopes, and the odd Leupold. My sample has better CA than all of my scopes, and usually seems sharper too.

I haven’t gotten mine out in mirage yet on the prairie, but it seems very promising. DOF is definitely narrower than my other scopes. I’m not sure if that’s going to bug me.

The two things that I don’t like are the eyepiece is not fast focus, which means it takes quite a while to figure out your ideal diopter setting, and I prefer locking elevation turrets.

@Glassaholic didn’t like the NF 8X erector scopes when they first came out. He has recently changed his tune. It seems like NF did improvements behind the scenes over the years.

Personally, with this scope, with the history of it sort of sucking right away but now being good, I would stay away from buying a used model unless I could look through it firsthand. Preferably, mounted on a rifle, as that is really the only way to get a feel for eyebox and other factors.

If new, make sure you buy from a place that allows you to return it (usually you can’t mount the scope tho').
I was researching the NX8 and came across this post in a thread discussing the NX8 @Glassaholic ?

Are the earlier models fucky and at what point (after s/n x?) are they gtg? Asking for the poors (like me).
Gotcha. I was one of the early adopters of the NX8 2.5-20 and it was not a pleasant experience, fast forward a few years later and friends are telling me the issues I had (and others) were not in copies that had been recently purchased so I had a friend ship me his scope and sure enough, it was almost like a new optical design and the experience behind the scope was very different (also confirmed by others) so while there is no official announcement (and mfr's will rarely do this anyway but are known to make incremental updates without press release) the evidence appears to lean in this direction.

What I do not know is "when" did this change occur... 🤷‍♂️

My husband got me a 4x32 for my RPR. I love it.

I love my G3R for PRS & shooting steel, but I'll recommend against it for this case. It wasn't designed as a hunting scope & it really doesn't excel there. Weight, size, & low light performance will leave you wanting, imo
Does it perform badly objectively in low light or is it more of a "isn't as good compared to other 56mm objectives in its price range"?

No, it’s not bad by any means… I’d even say it’s pretty good, just not great & there are clearly others that beat it.

I’m most curious about how the G3R performs in poor lighting conditions compared to a Mk5, S3, & XTR Pro, but I have never used any of those in low light and I don’t own any of those to compare.

The 735 ATACR also outperforms the G3R in mirage
How would you specifically describe the mirage performance between the two? Any thoughts on backlit/flare comparo?

I’m looking hard at both and mirage and backlight/angled light/flare performance is what I’m after. Don’t care about low light as Ishoot in broad daylight.

And pardon if I’ve already asked you about this…can’t remember lol

G3R
Objects beyond mirage just blur slightly more & the mirage waves are slightly less sharp or less defined.
ATACR
Slightly better resolution of details through mirage at distances over 1000yds, able to read mirage waves slightly better.

I want to emphasize my repeated use of the word "slightly"... In light to moderate mirage, they’re close enough that many probably wouldn't notice and any difference inside of 1000yd is negligible. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on the clock. I haven’t had them side by side in extreme mirage & probably won’t until July.

Any thoughts on backlit/flare comparo?
I haven’t had a chance & it’s going to be a while before I do, sorry

G3R
Objects beyond mirage just blur slightly more & the mirage waves are slightly less sharp or less defined.
ATACR
Slightly better resolution of details through mirage at distances over 1000yds, able to read mirage waves slightly better.

I want to emphasize my repeated use of the word "slightly"... In light to moderate mirage, they’re close enough that many probably wouldn't notice and any difference inside of 1000yd is negligible. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference on the clock. I haven’t had them side by side in extreme mirage & probably won’t until July.

I haven’t had a chance & it’s going to be a while before I do, sorry
Hey man, that’s really helpful! Thx.

Reactions: R_A_W
Yea EO is actually about 2 hours from me. I plan to take the trip up there once the rifle is done. Still uncertain which way I’ll go But I appreciate it

Bring a ruler with you and make sure whatever you choose will fit on your action. I have a 4-32 and it is long enough to fit. The glass doesn’t get blurry around the edges. It is very nice up to about 24x and then it get dimmer less contrasty and sharp, but so do all the other scopes short of a S&B636 or TT735.

I didn’t buy that scope for the high magnification. I bought it for its external dimensions- how does it fit on my rifle. Like you I didn’t want a huge scope on the rifle. Honestly, the 2.5-20 would be better if they put it inside the 4-32 housing. But that’s not possible. But then again I’m not going to use it on 32x.

At 10-20x that scope is superb. Bright, sharp, wonderful experience.

I have an ATACR 4-16x42, ATACR 4-20x50, and an NX8 4-32x50. All F1. The NX8 has a pretty tight eyebox in comparison to the ATACR, has about 90% as clear glass, and is a bit lighter and more compact. Hands down the ATACR is the better optic, but it depends if you want to spend the extra cash.
I'm thinking of picking up a ATACR 4-16 for my 6.5CM. not sure if I should do the same for my 7PRC or go up to the 4-20 or 5-25? How do they all compare to each other?

I'm thinking of picking up a ATACR 4-16 for my 6.5CM. not sure if I should do the same for my 7PRC or go up to the 4-20 or 5-25? How do they all compare to each other?
If you scroll back on the comments, there’s tons of fantastic information. If it’s not specifically a hunting rifle, I would definitely do the larger scope the 7X 35 supposedly has a better field of view than the 5X 25. I personally own a 5X 25 ATACR but it’s big. I don’t want that on a hunting rifle which is why I’m looking at the 2.5 X 20 or the 4X 20.

I like my 4-32 nx8. Almost went 2.5-20 because I typically hangout in the lower power range but the weight difference was minimal and the reticle (I feel) is almost impossible to see at 2.5 anyways so I’d be starting at 4-6x to get a good read of the reticle.