• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who’s your preferred custom rifle builder?

Alpha15

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2021
Louisiana
Now that I’ve got all my components I’m starting the process of finding a reputable smith to do the build (Defiance action, Bartlein bbl, McM A3-5 stock). Will be a 20” 308 Win.

so far I’ve talked to Beanland and SAC. One was disproportionately more expensive but had a great lead time.
Would like maybe two others to contact before I decide. I’m willing to pay a premium to have it completed before next hunting season.

Mark Williams at Raven Rifles built me two great rifles with great USMC detail.

LRI has a build in process right now that I have great expectations for.

Tac Ops owners have been proven very smart for going that route but Mike has figured the recipe out.......you may want to lose some of what you want to get the awesomeness of what he builds.

Call Shaen at Shaen Rifles. Shipped my parts to him and this 308 was back to me in one month. @Shooter71

48CCAFE0-0E13-4ABE-97E9-CED708B7A312.jpeg

In no particular order
Dave Tooley
LRI
SAC
LRI will likely be your fastest turnaround time. But all three will build a hell of a rifle!

TS Customs. Check out some of @orkan ’s videos on Travis’ bedding jobs. Not sure what he’s using for a .308 reamer but I’m having a second .308 barrel done by him based on my happiness thus far.

I think you’re right about keeping SAC in mind too.

Jim See will be the only smith I use. He's built me 2 rifles, 7 SAUM and 25 SST, and they are exactly what I wanted. Extremely accurate, great lead time, and Jim is one hell of a shooter, trainer, and builder.

Reactions: Smurky
GCP rifle co
SAC
LRI
Sooo many great smiths, just too little money. Lol

Mike R. @ Tactical Operations Inc , California
Great guy, customer service is at the top, rifles are functional art, and attention to detail well he’s a perfectionist to say the least and they shoot 0’s

I just don’t think he will use your components but again you could always ask him
F5857804-13DE-4B36-B796-BA6D57ED7041.jpeg

32B96811-B978-4A07-A897-88B2D7271CCF.jpeg

Last edited:
Brad Hiskey

His website is dogshit, but he's old fashioned. My favorite person in the business.

Another vote for Shaen. He spun up a prefit for my 22 creed in about a week. Top notch machine work and customer service.

There are some great guys out there to choose from.

My pet peeve at the moment is getting a return call. There are a couple mentioned here that I have called, left VM, and emailed....without ever getting a response.

Make sure it is someone that you are comfortable working with.

Jeff Hayes at Rivers Bend Gun Company does great work. He's built my last 3 customs and done quite a bit of other work for me as well. He's not only a great 'smith but has become a friend as well. Give him a call, you'll thank me later. 8163864021
7wsm
20210321_094748.jpg

260ai
20200814_080634.jpg

300wm
20200606_144804.jpg

As others have said I’d buy a Prefit and call it good. I’ve had full customs from a lot of the companies listed above and the most accurate rifle/barrel I have ever had was a proof Prefit for an AXMC, large tenon. I am done waiting up to 16 months for a Smith to get around to throwing my rifle together. I just order a mini chassis now, so I don’t have to bed the action and send it to CGC for paint when assembled. Full custom accuracy and quality for 2800-3700 depending on paint and options. My $.02.

However, if im going big bore magnum hunting rifle, Dallas Lane of LPR is my #1 choice. He’s spendy, but his rifles are perfect in every way. RBros is my number 2.

Reactions: SCGunner84
My preferred builder is GAP. Have not had one that’s not a shooter!
Have a 7mm08 hunting rifle by Jon Beanland that bug holes as well.
Gave the parts for the 308 to Shaen to see how he does things, I was very pleased with his work also.

Never had a custom build but first time I do will be Spartan Precision out of Caldwell, ID. formerly from San Jose he's supported the local clubs and matches and is a nationally known top notch rifle builder.