• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why I hate Horse soldier Bourbon

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    A bottle of Woodfords Reserve usually lasts me a couple months.

The HS went in a week.

Its so good Im going to end up in the Poor House. ;) 🇺🇸 🙃

Leave this stuff on the shelf, not recommended for a healthy wallet.

bottle-premium.jpg

All I can find at the local ABC store is the Premium, which certainly premium but have you tried the Signature or Reserve?
    Actually, I don't drink. Couldn't afford it when younger, so never started. I bought a couple bottles to support the SF Brotherhood. My two Brother's-in-Law drank that bottle during a two day visit.

The HS went in a week.

bottle-premium.jpg

Big fan here. Found it just before covaids hit our shores. I blew through bottles and bottles of soldier for the better part of '20. Straight, on ice, foundation for old fashioneds. Love it.

Reactions: Maggot
    Ive had Pappy's and think Horse Soldier is as good or perhaps better. Thats saying a lot.
    Guess I'll see at some point. Let's face it, Pappy is overrated for its price and popularity. It is a damned fine pour, no question (you don't win best whiskey in the SF spirits trials by being poor). But I think it is overrated in relationship to the reputation. Still love it though.

Reactions: BigTex and Maggot
    Guess I'll see at some point. Let's face it, Pappy is overrated for its price and popularity. It is a damned fine pour, no question (you don't win best whiskey in the SF spirits trials by being poor). But I think it is overrated in relationship to the reputation. Still love it though.
    Agreed, Pap is excellent but for what bottles sell for after gouging you can get a damn nice bottle of cognac.

I will have to check it out . In all honesty Four Roses 1888 is my favorite .

Red breast 21. Your welcome
    Or 15. Both good. Neither as good as Yellow Spot IMO. Just for reference I have red hair and all my people are from Athenry......Irish whiskey is hard to beat especially since they invented whiskey before Scotch whisky (with no E) and long before bourbon.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NoDopes
    Any Irish single pot still over 12 years is excellent, just hope the hipster fuggin bourbon snobs don't discover them. Spots are Middleton and sons, Dublin but not Jameson.

@TheGerman Try Yellow spot (blue or red if you can find it) and knappogue castle for Irish whiskeys. The Knappogue 21 is very good

@ggmanning I totally agree on Irish whiskey. I feel it’s seriously underrated in the US. But am with you, it’s nice not having to hunt down the good ones so maybe it’s better they don’t get hyped.

Any Irish single pot still over 12 years is excellent, just hope the hipster fuggin bourbon snobs don't discover them. Spots are Middleton and sons, Dublin but not Jameson.
    Thanks for the correction, I must have been buzzed the whole Ireland trip lol

I received some for the first time last week, bottle didn't last a week, very good stuff

I've ventured over to Irish whiskey and really like Bushmills Single 16 year old, been looking for the 22 (21?).

I switch that up with my tequila fix drinking Casa Azul.
    You Protestant? Because only Protestants drink Bushmills.

Casa Azul? Try Corzo. Seriously. Although honestly, there's a bunch of really good tequilas out there now.

You Protestant? Because only Protestants drink Bushmills.

Casa Azul? Try Corzo. Seriously. Although honestly, there's a bunch of really good tequilas out there now.
    My favorite bang for the buck is centenario anejo. Found it at Costco $24

Never had any I'm a Evan Williams guy on a Fireman's retirement budget. A friend who is a bourbon aficionado told me it's great.

Attachments

• 131682464_10158038113613379_3499555003505349491_n.jpg
      131682464_10158038113613379_3499555003505349491_n.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 97
    A close friend just bought a bottle of Horse Soldier Signature, the step up from the Premium Its a bit sweeter and richer. Personally I prefer the Premium as its a bit less complex, tastes a bit cleaner...to me. YMMV. Looking forward to trying the Reserve if I ever get out of the Poor house.

I can’t find this stuff anywhere around Nashville.

I've mentioned this before maybe on another thread but there is a distillery up the road from me in Waco called Balcones. Their Baby Blue is fine in my opinion and won't break your wallet. Goes for around $40.

I may try a dram when I finish the current project I'm on. Right now I'm a poor.

Here's some good stuff from Hye, TX. but outside my normal pay grade.

13693575757854.png

@Maggot — I went to my local LQ store (one the is big and carries a lot of stuff).

I was looking for the one horse pony soldier stuff and they didn’t have it (they never heard of of it)…of course.

I did end up getting a bottle of willet (it’s not the rye. I guess it’s just thier normal shit).

I gotta say it’s really good. Smooth not crazy hot going down. Has good flavors (to me it was lightish with maybe vanilla and some oak maybe).

Anyway, I usually drink knob creek. This is probably better (definitely smoother and easier to drink. Not harsh at all).

I’m picky with bourbon and only usually like Kentucky straight regular (room temp only straight shot). Not sure if I’d like a rye.

Attachments

• DC713ACA-6057-4923-AF8E-DE74723F54AE.jpeg
      DC713ACA-6057-4923-AF8E-DE74723F54AE.jpeg
      500 KB · Views: 71
    @Maggot — I went to my local LQ store (one the is big and carries a lot of stuff).

I was looking for the one horse pony soldier stuff and they didn’t have it (they never heard of of it)…of course.

I did end up getting a bottle of willet (it’s not the rye. I guess it’s just thier normal shit).

I gotta say it’s really good. Smooth not crazy hot going down. Has good flavors (to me it was lightish with maybe vanilla and some oak maybe).

Anyway, I usually drink knob creek. This is probably better (definitely smoother and easier to drink. Not harsh at all).

I’m picky with bourbon and only usually like Kentucky straight regular (room temp only straight shot). Not sure if I’d like a rye.

Knob Creek is really under rated and over looked. 9 years and 100 proof. At mid $25 depending on location. It's almost the equal of Eagle Rare or Henry McKenna BiB( both still better) but with the traditional Beam profile with nuttiness up front. In this bourbon market (read, many good bourbons are hard to find or over priced) it's a must for everyday drinking.

Knob Creek is really under rated and over looked. 9 years and 100 proof. At mid $25 depending on location. It's almost the equal of Eagle Rare or Henry McKenna BiB( both still better) but with the traditional Beam profile with nuttiness up front. In this bourbon market (read, many good bourbons are hard to find or over priced) it's a must for everyday drinking.
    Yeah. I liked knob b/c it had a nutty flavor. And, yes I’d say a beamish type of whisky. It’s like 35$ here. They even had a 100$ special version of knob. My store don’t have eagle rare. I was reading a 2019 thread on bourbon also.

The HS went in a week.

bottle-premium.jpg

Damn you Maggot I don’t drink much at all and have had an old bottle of Sam Houston bourbon for 15 years and I thought it I was OK but I decided to try Horse Soldier on your recommendation and wow you are correct it’s very, very smooth I’m impressed.

• Haha