• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why I hate Horse soldier Bourbon

I just noticed John Dutton (Kevin Costner) drinking Bulleit on Yellowstone. I always thought I was a poor for drinking it.

I'm drinking Larceny. Smoooth, smoooth.

I just noticed John Dutton (Kevin Costner) drinking Bulleit on Yellowstone. I always thought I was poor for drinking it.

I have John Dutton's glass. A Ralph Lauren rocks glass. But Bullieit is a poors pour for me. Having some Pappy 20 year at this very moment while watching the Fighting Kentuckyian.
That said, I just bought the newest release of Larceny Barrel Proof. C921, 122.6 Proof. Mmmm

I just noticed John Dutton (Kevin Costner) drinking Bulleit on Yellowstone. I always thought I was a poor for drinking it.

Bulleit was better when it was sourced from Four Roses. Is a bit humorous that Yellowstone Bourbon didn't get the product placement on that.

Bulleit was better when it was sourced from Four Roses. Is a bit humorous that Yellowstone Bourbon didn't get the product placement on that.
I agree. I have some Yellowstone 101, 2020 finished in Armagnac casks. Haven't opened it yet though.

Reactions: 6.5SH
I have John Dutton's glass. A Ralph Lauren rocks glass. But Bullieit is a poors pour for me. Having some Pappy 20 year at this very moment while watching the Fighting Kentuckyian.
That said, I just bought the newest release of Larceny Barrel Proof. C921, 122.6 Proof. Mmmm
Fighting Kentuckyian? Do tell more. EDIT old school huh? Gonna have to check it out!

Bulleit was my go to choice for a long time and then I went to others, Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark 46, Jim Beam Black...when I went back to it it had a wang to it I didn't recognize.

Reactions: bullseye13
2A527459-7ED1-4C6B-A9A1-42778E29064D.jpeg

I've not tried the Horse soldier yet.. these are a few of my go to's
View attachment 7865991
Woodford Reserve was my go to when I couldnt get Pappy's. the Horse Soldier Premium is much cleaner, crisper on the palate without being harsh. the Reserve is more towards Woodford's but still cleaner.

I bought the Premium then the Reserve. I prefer the Premium, its a bit lighter and cleaner. Ive had several bottles of Pappy's and its good but would take Horse Soldier over it.
I’ll have to try the Premium. I didn’t take the brand seriously until my buddy’s dad shared some of the Reserve. I didn’t know it was even an option. I was impressed. Hence the 3 I’ve collected in the pic. My fav is bottle 207 VA ABC pick I think.

Well thanks to Maggot and this thread I tried the Horse Soldier and really enjoy it. My buddy drinks Smoke Wagon unfiltered it’s similar to Horse Soldier Reserve Barrel Strength he’s said it’s great. Anyone try Smoke Wagon? I haven’t tried it yet.

I have tried probably 10 -12 different shops and nobody in my area, middle TN, has been heard of Horse Soldier. I wonder if it’s not distributed here?

Crazy, as 5SFG HQ is 73 miles from my door and I personally know guys who rode in on horses and I can’t get the shit here…

This just fits the narrative that we are actually living in Bazaro world.

I tried some Smoke Wagon a few days ago. The unfiltered was horrible....like drinking singed hair. The filtered was very good with some complexity and citrus overtones. Really enjoyed the filtered, but the unfiltered sucked.

Reactions: JR_77
I've ventured over to Irish whiskey and really like Bushmills Single 16 year old, been looking for the 22 (21?).

I switch that up with my tequila fix drinking Casa Azul.
Ahhh, I remember the days of 60 dollar a bottle Bushmills 16 Single Malt. Love it. Good stuff. I have some "poors" 10 year old but haven't opened it up. Had to get my Highland malts collection in better shape as well as some Dobel Diamante Tequila (overrated IMO). Tequila is now my goto; simply because I get stuffy nose with most Scotch (allergy to barley I believe) and don't even get a headache with any aged tequila so long as it's decent quality (Milagro is my goto for Repesado that's not too expensive).

Costco branded tequila is very good as well. I have no hesitation getting it. I just prefer a number of others.
Agree 100% so long as it's the aged. However, my COSTCO quit carrying it, and said I had to order it online. Cheap because it was 1L and not 0.75L bottles as well.

I have tried probably 10 -12 different shops and nobody in my area, middle TN, has been heard of Horse Soldier. I wonder if it’s not distributed here?

Crazy, as 5SFG HQ is 73 miles from my door and I personally know guys who rode in on horses and I can’t get the shit here…

This just fits the narrative that we are actually living in Bazaro world.
Go to their web site. They have a where to buy search.

Reactions: FatBoy
Go to their web site. They have a where to buy search.
Or go on line and order it. There's one place that sells a combo pack, one bottle of each, Premium, Signature and Reserve.

Here in Virginia we pay retail +10% on top to the ABC store.

NICE SCORE!

I will have to post a pic of the scrores from my trip a couple weeks ago...

Been on the hunt for Michters 10 & Russell's 13... if anyone has some they want to move please hit me up.

Picking up some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof tomorrow.... 131ish proof store pic

Matt

Ive had Pappy's and think Horse Soldier is as good or perhaps better. Thats saying a lot.

That just killed any ambition I had to ever buy pappy's.

I grabbed a bottle of horse soldier and it's ok.

Still think Bookers is the best bourbon I've tried. Went through many a bottle and while they do vary slightly they were all delicious.

I did grab a bottle of 4 roses cask to try. Haven't cracked it yet.

Some might say I'm crazy though, as I've drank 5 bottles of scotch and haven't finished the Lagavulin 16 on my shelf. It's so heavy with peet it ruins it for me. Much rather go to glenmorangie for scotch, with the lasanta being my favorite.

Grabbed some belvenie 12 or 15? And a McCallen 15 to try the other day to. They were out of the lasanta.

Local liquor store just got sold, and the new owner is heavy into bourbon. We used to have 1 shelf, now it's about 1/4 of the store. I plan on working my way through the middle and top shelves for awhile.

Reactions: Maggot
Owning a liquor store has its perks!!!
I just saw an add for the 10 year for $1200. Ill take a good bottle of Cognac for $300 Alex and have $900 left for ammo.

BMA

I just saw an add for the 10 year for $1200. Ill take a good bottle of Cognac for $300 Alex and have $900 left for ammo.

BMA
I just saw a 60 yr Cognac for $1100

Yeah the price of allocated stuff is all over the place. I try to stay middle road on them. I think the bottles of 10yr are 799.00 , 12 is 899.00, and 15 year is 1499.00

I just saw a 60 yr Cognac for $1100
I've had 60 year old. Happened to be in a store n Atlanta and asked about a bottle of Courvoisier XO. Guy went back and looked and told me well, we're ut of that but I found this dusty old bottle that says Grand Fine. I took a chance and bought it for around $70. Best licour Ive had of any kind at any price. This was circa 1987 and it was 60 years old then. It made stop to think that it was put up around 1927, before Hitler came to power. Turns out that today its worth a small fortune.

1672437595166.png