• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Winchester duty ammo

Joshua1:9b

Private
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2020
1C078B8F-450D-4983-A8F6-76B33DDB5BEA.jpeg
8832E856-3559-4056-A2D6-473DF426AB06.jpeg
CDFD5207-88FB-404A-B1F9-7C04DF105D64.jpeg

Primers pop out when fired?!?!? Causes a fail to feed jam.

Winchester 64 grain ranger ammo.

suppressed and unsupressed.

Anyone else have this problem?

Fuck…. I hope that I don’t.
Just bought a thousand rounds of this stuff.
Haven’t shot any yet.

What barrel is on your rifle?

Reactions: Joshua1:9b
Bushmaster XM 15 MOE model so it has a mid length gas system and roughly an inch thick diameter barrel up to the gas block.

And for perspective, I think I had about four or five primers eject in roughly 14 rounds fired

I have shot a ton of that without any issues, it was the duty ammo issued to our SWAT team, we fired hundred and hundreds of rounds of it . You might wanna reach out to winchester and see if there is a bad lot

Last edited:
This is department issued ammo so I have no idea what the lot number is. Unfortunately we practice with 55 grain cheaper stuff. I don’t think most of our guys have ever even shot duty ammo out of their rifles.

It’s marked 23 on the back. Pretty sure that’s 2023 because my older stuff has 20 on it.

I have reached out to Winchester. Just waiting on their answer. One of the primer pieces when into my gas key and had to be drilled out. Turned my gun into a bolt action by blocking the gas flow.

Loaded my mags and threw the boxes away. It may be the same lot number as the three boxes I have left over but I can’t be positive. I’ll try and find the lot number on the leftover boxes I have.

Last edited:
FWIW... the stuff from 2013 was loaded stout. No popped primers, but I only shot enough ( 20rds ) each barrel length to chronograph.

Molon also showed about 2796fps from his 20" Colt barrel.
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/self_defense_ammo_faq/MOLON/Winchester Ranger RA556B 64gr BSB.htm

View attachment 8411873

SG Ammo chrono'd some current production 4 months ago.. 20" barrel 2910fps.

Do you know if your barrel has a "true" 5.56 chamber ?

Believe it is 556 chambered it with one and nine twist.

I know the one and nine twist sucks because it holds good out to about 600 yards at 700 their tumbling

Well, I just found five more with popped out primers. When my captain figures out which lot number it is, I’ll try to post it on here for you guys. It is all marked WMA 23.

Anyone else at your dept. having this issue?
Have you used other 5.56 without a problem?
There was a point, years ago, that Bushmaster was putting.223 chambers in their barrels and marking them 5.56.

Not preaching, buy I would highly encourage folks to zero and run a few boxes through a duty gun to vet it. Every qualification cycle would entail the carried ammunition being shot for the Qual, which is done cold. New ammunition issued at days end.

Anyone else at your dept. having this issue?
Have you used other 5.56 without a problem?
There was a point, years ago, that Bushmaster was putting.223 chambers in their barrels and marking them 5.56.
No one else shoots duty ammo to sight in.

I shoot 556 ammo all the time out of it with out a problem.

Not preaching, buy I would highly encourage folks to zero and run a few boxes through a duty gun to vet it. Every qualification cycle would entail the carried ammunition being shot for the Qual, which is done cold. New ammunition issued at days end.
I wish we had a budget for that. That would be ideal.

No call backs or emails from Winchester yet.

Attachments

• 1ACACCE8-430F-42EE-AA19-064DE9ECD311.jpeg
    1ACACCE8-430F-42EE-AA19-064DE9ECD311.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 10
I wish we had a budget for that. That would be ideal.
What state are you in? Although I'm retired (Virginia) the state DCJS(Dept of Criminal and Justice Services) mandates that x number of rounds be fired yearly that are duty or similar pressure forget the exact wording. The point being to check function, impact point and weapon handling. Other things such as low/no light, scenario based training, etc. Someone with some horse power needs to check with state mandates and comply otherwise a serious fail to train problem is inevitable.

If it was me, I would see if I could source a small supply of my own to accomplish certain things. Check with the LE distributer for an individual purchase.

What state are you in? Although I'm retired (Virginia) the state DCJS(Dept of Criminal and Justice Services) mandates that x number of rounds be fired yearly that are duty or similar pressure forget the exact wording. The point being to check function, impact point and weapon handling. Other things such as low/no light, scenario based training, etc. Someone with some horse power needs to check with state mandates and comply otherwise a serious fail to train problem is inevitable.

If it was me, I would see if I could source a small supply of my own to accomplish certain things. Check with the LE distributer for an individual purchase.
I don’t believe Michigan has such mandates and we are going through an administration change. I brought up some of these problems and was provided with enough duty ammo to do some testing to check point of impact shift, which was roughly one mil at 100 yards.

I informed our captain about the issues with the ammo and he seem pretty concerned about getting it fixed so hopefully will have this all sorted out before next election.

Speed of government.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I didnt get a photo of the primers that popped out, but here is a picture of the firing pin protruding from the bolt head with a small piece of brass on it from the primer most likely.

Attachments

• 45B74189-9106-4143-ADC8-259BEE41BD45.jpeg
    45B74189-9106-4143-ADC8-259BEE41BD45.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 3601849D-924B-4C06-AD7B-D4617C925D5B.jpeg
    3601849D-924B-4C06-AD7B-D4617C925D5B.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 23
I didnt get a photo of the primers that popped out, but here is a picture of the firing pin protruding from the bolt head with a small piece of brass on it from the primer most likely.
Id take it apart and inspect closer. I meant what did the shells look like that the primers DIDNT pop out, like how far in is the firing pin hitting? Nice smooth impact? pin dont look very smooth and round. Just a thought..

Id take it apart and inspect closer. I meant what did the shells look like that the primers DIDNT pop out, like how far in is the firing pin hitting? Nice smooth impact? pin dont look very smooth and round. Just a thought..
Hadn’t even considered that I’ll have to go look at them when I get back home. At least I can check to make sure they’re not loose as well.

E2FC347B-6755-4B19-A86D-FC10EB0856C6.jpeg

UE13 73133

Captain gave me some extra ammo to test between our lot numbers. This is the lot number I believe almost all of my ammo is from, and it had five primers eject and one prime or almost blow out.

One primer missing is not photo because I found it right afterwards.

View attachment 8414949
UE13 73133

Captain gave me some extra ammo to test between our lot numbers. This is the lot number I believe almost all of my ammo is from, and it had five primers eject and one prime or almost blow out.

View attachment 8414949
UE13 73133

91156E87-0509-4D07-9666-2F2FC5371CD5.jpeg

This is our other lot number 20 rounds zero problems

I have also fired M855 through the same rifle with no problems so there’s are two controls for the test

Sorry, it took so long we had a tornado. Through our county this week.

FWIW... the stuff from 2013 was loaded stout. No popped primers, but I only shot enough ( 20rds ) each barrel length to chronograph.

Molon also showed about 2796fps from his 20" Colt barrel.
https://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/self_defense_ammo_faq/MOLON/Winchester Ranger RA556B 64gr BSB.htm

View attachment 8411873

SG Ammo chrono'd some current production 4 months ago.. 20" barrel 2910fps.

Do you know if your barrel has a "true" 5.56 chamber ?

Based on the pic above that has to be the most aggressive and nasty looking bullet crimp I've ever seen.
Does the ops ammo look that way?

14BA4CE5-1842-421F-B37A-7C113F130B80.jpeg

Attachments

• 5D5D2EFF-0B39-40B1-81D1-21FD4E909AD5.jpeg
    5D5D2EFF-0B39-40B1-81D1-21FD4E909AD5.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 443883E5-51F9-4036-ADC5-451B9AB52EA6.jpeg
    443883E5-51F9-4036-ADC5-451B9AB52EA6.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 9
Sorry, that last photos a little blurry

the primer it is popped out. Looks like a little firing pin is protruding out from the primer.

Sorry, that last photos a little blurry

the primer it is popped out. Looks like a little firing pin is protruding out from the primer.
Do you have the tools to verify base to the datum line on the shoulder to check to see if the headspace on the ammunition in question is correct ?
Have you performed any dimensional measurements on the ammunition ?

Is that a department-issued Bushmaster Carbine?

Just asking before I make recommendations on parts replacement.

I have "a bit" of experience with Bushmasters in high volume dating back to the 1990s.

Which era Bushmaster is it? You can tell on the lower if it says Ilion New York, vs Windham Maine.

Also check to see if your BCG has a “D” stamped on the left side.

Given that you’ve had multiple blown primers, inspect the tip of your firing pin for any dents, cracks, or burrs.

If any of those are present, you need a new firing pin because it will be more prone to pierced primers.

Definitely do the action spring test anyway.

Does M193 get stuck in the chamber slightly by chance?

Do you have the tools to verify base to the datum line on the shoulder to check to see if the headspace on the ammunition in question is correct ?
Have you performed any dimensional measurements on the ammunition ?
I shoot gun. It not go boom.

I don’t even know what a datum is sorry. I don’t reload and I know a lot of the stuff that goes along with this would be guys with Reloading knowledge.

I shoot gun. It not go boom.

I don’t even know what a datum is sorry. I don’t reload and I know a lot of the stuff that goes along with this would be guys with Reloading knowledge.
Not to sound like and asshole but you have continued to use ammunition and or a weapon that has demonstrated one or the other to be faulty or unsafe and the solution was to try some more.
You don't have to be a reloader to understand those simple facts.
I'm guessing that your department doesn't have an amorer or someone competent to diagnose the ammunition dimensionaly or at the very least chronograph some of that lot.
Like I said not trying to be an ass just don't want you or someone else injured as a result.

I would 100% disassemble the bolt, pull the extractor, ejector, pin all out and clean it and then look at it closely.. it looks so dirty in the pics to see if anything is damaged.. or moving freely. Or perhaps its so overgassed its so violent? The flat wire spring you just put in too weak? There is something mechanically not working correctly it looks to me. If it were just the primers popping out maybe the ammo, but you got some other markings on the cases as well... makes me think its not the ammo.

I would 100% disassemble the bolt, pull the extractor, ejector, pin all out and clean it and then look at it closely.. it looks so dirty in the pics to see if anything is damaged.. or moving freely. Or perhaps its so overgassed its so violent? The flat wire spring you just put in too weak? There is something mechanically not working correctly it looks to me. If it were just the primers popping out maybe the ammo, but you got some other markings on the cases as well... makes me think its not the ammo.
He has already stated he regularly shoots 556 nato ammo from the same rifle without issue.
Honestly Winchester doesn't have the best track record at times with ammo or components.

Reactions: Green461
As stated before this rifle gets shot a lot and is probably the most reliable rifle I have ever owned. I have never had any jams like this whatsoever until I had this exact lot of ammo but 99.9% sure it’s not the rifle.

However, a good cleaning never hurts