• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Re: New Member Checking In with some questions

The only drawback to the 18" is whether it will have adequate velocity to stay supersonic at 1,000m.

If you know the MV, run the ballistics and see what the software says.

As to 1.5 MOA accuracy at 1,000m (i.e. 1,100y), that's asking a lot of any rifle other than rigs purpose built for that sort of shooting.

You can't expect one rifle to do everything. There's always a tradeoff.

Actually, at sea level you're going to have trouble with M118LR out of a M24 at around 1000 yards, not meters, and bullets often start to display transonic effects at ninety percent of the speed of sound - which is why the military considers the .308/7.62X51 to be an 800 meter round.

However, with better match barrels, you should still be OK at 1000 yards, but not at 1000 meters, unless you're well above sea level. And my experience with cans is that it doesn't effect muzzle velocity enough to make much difference.

If I really wanted to get to 1000 yards, I'd go with the 21 inch barrel. I doubt that you'll get to 1000 meters with any barrel.

Ok all... here we go. What would be the best I could get out of a Semi Auto using M118LR with and without a can. Lets assume it is the BEST barrel in the world and George himself did a tiki dance around it and I sacrificed a chicken to garner the blessing of Hathcocks spirt.

So,
18" or 21" or no marked difference?