• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Hornady .260 Rem Match Performance

Tunnuh

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2014
Texas
I'm wanting to know if anyone has used their factory match ammo, and how it performs. I've been very happy with Prime, but I've heard good things about the ELD bullets also.

I just ordered 100 rounds from mile high. Should hit the range next weekend and I'll report back with pictures.

I'm very happy with it so far in my Bartlein barrelled Tikka, 5 shot groups at 100 is in a tidy little hole and it's been making small fist size groups at 600 in KS wind. I ran out of my three boxes I had so I went out and ordered a case which just got here today otherwise I'd have more data to share. Going to take it out to 1000-1200 tomorrow, supposed to be cold and windy so we'll see how it does. That's with the 130 ELD-M factory loads...I also went ahead and ordered 200 bullets to see if we can work up a load even better than the factory flavor.

I have a tikka ctr with a 20" barrel. What length bartlein do you have?

I have a tikka ctr with a 20" barrel. What length bartlein do you have?

It's a 25" plus a can hanging off the end...makes it long and hard to move around with, but it shoots damn good. Bought a new XTR II to put on top of it, sighted it in, and took the very tip off of one of the diamonds on a target I was using just to see how precise it was. It's crazy how this factory load is point and shoot accurate in this gun. Took it out to 800 last weekend with nasty winds varying from 8mph to 25+ that kept swirling down range. Hopefully I can stretch it to 1000+ next weekend.

Thanks for the reply! Im gonna run some Saturday at 100 and 200 to see how precise it runs and if possible get some chronograph data. Just depends on how busy the range is. I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs, and I'll bring some data too.

I'd say the hornady .260 match works well. It performs as good as prime in my tikka ctr with 20"barrel. Sorry, but I wasn't able to get mv data today. It produced this 5 shot group with me doing my part. Hornady_groups.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah I'm happy with the performance. I'll have to get it out long range and see how it does. Hornady offers a b.c. for various distances on there page, I'm gonna see how accurate it is, but I'm betting it's good to go.

Any chronograph data yet? Interested to know what they get out of it. I know I can push scenars and hybrids like a good bit faster than hornady bullets in my factory 20" tikka.

None yet, I gotta make another trip in a few weeks. As soon as I get some I'll post it here, but I've been busy with our year end at work.

Update:

I went to the range today and got muzzle velocities from my 20" TIKKA CTR in 260 WITH THE Hornady .260 ELD. I FOUND out a few things.

1. ES was 65 from a 10 shot group. That's a little higher than I hoped for.

2. MV was an overage of 2667 fps. That was better than I hoped for. Nice!

3. SD was 23, so not bad or great.

I did measurement with a magnetospeed sporter that I picked up from the midway sale.

My brother in law shoots their 140 gr match ammo in a 6.5 Creedmoor. I can post that data too if anyone likes but his ES and SD WAS better then the .260.

Overall I'm good with the Hornady match. It groups well enough and I plan on looking at the Prime, Federal and Gorilla soon. I'll make a separate thread for those if it seems people like having the data.

​​​​​​

Attachments

• photo58629.jpg
    photo58629.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 23
Bought a case for a Tikka CTR. I was getting somewhere around 2610 fps range at 40deg and 2660 at 70 deg. Wasn't to temp stable for me. SD was also over 20 fps.

Grouping seems to be under 1 MOA. In the process now of resizing the brass and noticing lots of indications of variation in neck thickness.

Needless to say if you are happy with PRIME I think I'd recommend maybe staying with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro