• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report: Alliant 2000-MR

vonbalkenbush

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Reno, Nevada
Hey guys, you gotta check this new powder out. It seems to be pretty amazing stuff so far. Here's what I got:

Rifle: Blueprinted Rem 700 w/25" inch Krieger(1-10); +2000rds down the tube.

Cartridge: .308 win
Case: Lapua
Primer: CCI BR-2
Bullet: Berger 185 grn BT Long Range
Powder: Alliant Power Pro 2000-MR
COL = 2.2830

Temp = 56 F
Elev = 4,600 ft

<span style="text-decoration: underline">46.5 grns:</span>
1 - 2647
2 - 2677
3 - 2684 ES = 37 fps
4 - 2669 AVG = 2670 fps
5 - 2675

<span style="text-decoration: underline">47.0 grns:</span>
1 - 2707
2 - 2725
3 - 2714 ES = 18 fps
4 - 2725 AVG = 2717 fps
5 - 2716

<span style="text-decoration: underline">47.5 grns:</span>
1 - 2744
2 - 2754
3 - 2715 ES = 39 fps
4 - 2729 AVG = 2737 fps

<span style="text-decoration: underline">48.0 grns:</span>
1 - 2764
2 - 2753 ES = 11 fps
3 - 2762 AVG = 2760

<span style="text-decoration: underline">48.5 grns:</span>
1 - 2762
2 - 2751 ES = 11 fps
3 - 2754 AVG = 2756 fps
5 - 2743

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Accuracy:</span>
My two best groups were fired with the 48.0 and 48.5 grn charge weights:

48.0 grn, 3 shots = 0.369 inches CTC
48.5 grn, 3 shots = 0.275 inches CTC

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Pressure:</span>
48.5 grns of 2000-MR was the max load listed on Alliants website for a 180 Fusion bullet, so this charge weight is where I decided to stop. However, I was not getting any excessive pressure signs. Primers were somewhat flat, but no ejector marks, or loose primer pockets or primers falling out. I've seen more pressure with my Varget and Sierra 175's than I did with this combo.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Notes:</span>
I used once fired Lapua brass that had been fire formed to my chamber, neck sized it only, no other case prep. The 185 Berger is a really long bullet for the .308 case, it's a full .150-.200 longer than the Sierra 175 MK. I used a 7 inch drop tube when charging the cases and did not have any issues with the base of the bullets running into the powder column and I seated all bullets to mag length. This powder is very fine, it is a round-flake type and looks a lot like Reloader 15 just a bit more glossy.

-SB Shooter

Re: Range Report: Alliant 2000-MR

interesting.waiting to see if the temp change has any effect on it.they claim it does'nt.anything that helps the turd ass .308,i'm all for.

SageBrush,

Sorry, not a .308 guy... and definitely *not* used to looking at numbers for 185 Bergers. How do those velocities compare to Verget and other "normal" .308 powders? Have been looking at this and 3000LR for the .260. Been hoping these would be a temp. stable RL17.

John

3-5 shots is not really enough to evaluate a load. Go for 20 and report back with your SD and ES numbers. The 185 BTLR is a great bullet. I run them at a little less than 2600 and they are awesome to 1000 yards. No need to run them that hard.

For the 185's, the numbers are about 150 fps faster than Varget or RE 15. I was not running these hard, my best accuracy is a full grain below the max load I tested in my gun. And even at the max I tested (49.1 grns) behind these Bergers which have a really long bearing surface (which is gonna create greater pressure than the 175's or 155's) I was NOT getting excessive pressure. I've worked up plenty of loads with excessive pressure involved, this was NOT one of them. This powder really is adding +150 fps to what I get from this bullet with Varget or RE 15 with NO visible increase in pressure. And the accuracy is as good or better than any powder I've run in the 243, 260, 7mm-08, 308 case family. To me that is remarkable. I will be dragging the chrono out again next weekend for sure since I've already finished my accuracy testing. Now it's just a matter of confirming what I already now, that this stuff is pushing a Berger 185 at 2760 fps well within safe pressure limits and with superb accuracy. I'll post my next chrono results in the next week or so.

-SBS

If that 150fps is true it's amazing.

edit: where did you buy it from? Also hodgdon claims 2690 for a max load of varget out of a 24", alliant is claiming 2720, maybe it only shines with stuff past 175 or their data is conservative?

Thanks for the write up. I have this powder for my 7mm-08 but I haven't tested it yet. I got it to spacifically try the 180 bergers (7mm). It may prove to have some interesting results. I am also worried about temp changes effecting pressure so as stated if you could let us know if it's temp sensative I'd appreciate it.

To the the person that asked where we got it. I ordered it from a local gun shop and got lucky that their supplier just happened to have some.

Thanks,
Merritt

The 2000-MR is really hard to find right now, Alliant has done a terrible job marketing this stuff. I picked up one pound at my local Sportsman's Wharehouse, shot it, chronographed it, went back the next day and bought out there remaining stock (6 pounds all same lot #). I have found one place online to get it from:

http://store.thirdgenerationshootingsupply.com/

As far as temperature sensitivity goes, I have only brought the chronograph out once, and that data is posted. I will say that I fired groups at 500 yds on a day when it was 56F and a day when it was 34F and there was no noticeable shift in my POI, maybe 0.1 mils if my memory serves me correctly. The weather is supposed to hit 80F by the time I get out next weekend and I'll be sure to bring my chrono this time. As far as the lighter bullets go, I have not tested it with the 155 Scenars, it really seems to shine with the 175's and 185 Bergers though. I like to run heavier bullets in my .308 because they do a little better in the wind that I'm constantly shooting in out here in western Nevada. I'll keep you guys posted...

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that 150fps is true it's amazing.

edit: where did you buy it from? Also hodgdon claims 2690 for a max load of varget out of a 24", alliant is claiming 2720, maybe it only shines with stuff past 175 or their data is conservative?

</div></div>

I would say their data is probably a hair conservative, probably for liability reasons. I've noticed with good quality custom barrels, my hand loads are always running about 50 fps faster than most posted data. Granted, every barrel is gonna shoot a little differently velocity wise, this is just what I got with my 25" Krieger.

-SBS

Right on. I'm always leery of miracle powders/bullets but if I can gain velocity while keeping similar accuracy and it's cheaper than varget why not switch?

There's a sportsmans here in sacramento, next time I'm there I'll see if I can get some.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Right on. I'm always leery of miracle powders/bullets but if I can gain velocity while keeping similar accuracy and it's cheaper than varget why not switch?

There's a sportsmans here in sacramento, next time I'm there I'll see if I can get some. </div></div>

I've been a devoted Varget user for 8+ years and RE 15 for the last two. I'm interested to see what this stuff does when the weather starts pushing up over the 85-90F mark, but as of now, I really feel like this powder could be a long term replacement for most of my short action non-magnum calibers. It's pretty exciting.

-SBS

I'd say Alliant's data is correct on the max load for you. And YOU ARE starting to see pressure IN THE NUMBERS look at the speed decrease from 48 to 48.5 that's in indicator of pressures going too high.

I'd stop at 48gr as a safe max and maybe your primer pockets will last longer.

Also what happened to the last two rounds in the 48gr string?

Load up at least 10 rds in 48gr and 15 in 47.7 to test. Chrony and test initial groups of the 47.7 (5rds)if it's looking just as good as the 48 then shoot the other 10 for more meaningful data against the 48gr, otherwise pull the other 10 rounds in 47.7gr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mavrick10_2000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd say Alliant's data is correct on the max load for you. And YOU ARE starting to see pressure IN THE NUMBERS look at the speed decrease from 48 to 48.5 that's in indicator of pressures going too high.

I'd stop at 48gr as a safe max and maybe your primer pockets will last longer.

Also what happened to the last two rounds in the 48gr string?

Load up at least 10 rds in 48gr and 15 in 47.7 to test. Chrony and test initial groups of the 47.7 (5rds)if it's looking just as good as the 48 then shoot the other 10 for more meaningful data against the 48gr, otherwise pull the other 10 rounds in 47.7gr. </div></div>

It was windy as hell that day, gusting 20-25 mph full value wind, the setup that I had wouldn't allow me to shoot good groups in the wind while shooting through the chrono. After those three shots I dropped to prone to fire my remaining rounds at that charge weight for group. I subsequently ladder tested at 500 yds (the following weekend), the node is right at 47.9-48.0 grns. I got 1.03" vertical spread at 500 for 5 shots, while 47.9 came in second best with 1.83" vertical for 5 shots at 500 yds. I agree with you on the pressure, the velocity was flattening out after 48.0 grns. My next outing is gonna be 10 rounds @ 47.9 and 10 rounds @ 48.0 and I will have the chrono with me this time
wink.gif

-SBS

All right fellas, here we go. Dragged the chrono out yesterday, same specs on the rifle and load as above. Atmospheric conditions were as follows:

Altitude: 5300 ft
Temp: 36 F, it's still fricken cold here!

All charges were thrown with RCBS Chargemaster, 48.0 grns of Alliant 2000-MR, 10 shot string:

#1 2767 fps
#2 2762 fps
#3 2760 fps
#4 2745 fps
#5 2788 fps
#6 2779 fps
#7 2762 fps
#8 2733 fps
#9 2765 fps
#10 2758 fps

ES = 55 fps, way too high
Avg = 2762 fps

Highest to lowest:
2762 If we hack off the highest and lowest, the ES = 9 fps.

My thoughts are this, I do not do any brass sorting whatsoever. The shot that dumped low at 2733 had a loose primer pocket from a previous firing (observed some gas leakage). The highs, 2779 and 2788 I feel are neck tension issues and possibly primer pockets as well (I noticed some bullets were seating much more forceful than others). I measured with a digital caliper and the majority of the loaded rounds were running at .337 at the neck, with the neck size bushing at .335 that gave me .002 of neck tension, perfect. A few of the rounds were running into .338-.339 range though, I feel that may account for some of the higher velocities I saw. I think this powder has some tremendous potential in the .308, accuracy is phenominal out to 500 yds (1/2 MOA). I just need to be a little more meticulous in my loading process and I think my highs and lows will clear up. let me know what your guys thoughts are?

-SBS

Those are some impressive results for a 185gr bullet, more so than the super performance. Damn those are some freaking awesome results. As you said though i wonder how it fairs in 90F. Wish i had some, cause it's getting around the 85+ degrees around here now. A 185gr .308 bullet @ 2700fps stays super sonic to 1200yds, like giving a whole new lifeline to the .308. Then you think about maybe a .260 pushing a 142gr SMK around 2950fps maybe? Keep us posted excellent stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those are some impressive results for a 185gr bullet, more so than the super performance. Damn those are some freaking awesome results. As you said though i wonder how it fairs in 90F. Wish i had some, cause it's getting around the 85+ degrees around here now. A 185gr .308 bullet @ 2700fps stays super sonic to 1200yds, like giving a whole new lifeline to the .308. Then you think about maybe a .260 pushing a 142gr SMK around 2950fps maybe? Keep us posted excellent stuff. </div></div>

Yeah, it's pretty fricken exciting. It blows cats and dogs out here where I shoot, and I'm telling you, those Berger 185's at that speed are so forgiving, it's almost like shooting a .300 WSM (almost
wink.gif
), but without the extra powder and muzzle blast. Hopefully the weather will be hotter tomorrow, I'm loading up more tonight, gonna do some brass sorting, check neck tension and sort out any loose primer pockets. Bringing out the chrono again to see if I can get the ES down to around 10-15 fps. I would be really happy with that.

-SBS

The speeds are definitely the most impressive part, but also equally impressive is the ES, other than those 4 oddball shots like you said you had a ES of 9.

Makes me wanna switch haha, but i finally found my load, and i gotta get out and shoot at distance. If i stayed pursuing the most accurate load i would be stuck shooting groups forever. When i replace my barrel or get through a couple of hundred rounds i'm going to pick some of that stuff up asap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The speeds are definitely the most impressive part, but also equally impressive is the ES, other than those 4 oddball shots like you said you had a ES of 9.

Makes me wanna switch haha, but i finally found my load, and i gotta get out and shoot at distance. If i stayed pursuing the most accurate load i would be stuck shooting groups forever. When i replace my barrel or get through a couple of hundred rounds i'm going to pick some of that stuff up asap. </div></div>

No matter how balistically forgiving your cartridge is, it'll never make up for proper training and trigger time. However, it doesn't hurt to maximize the tools you already have in your toolkit
grin.gif

-SBS

I got some from sportsmans, will be trying it tomorrow. I have 47, 47.5 and 48 in win brass with 178 amax at 2.81, 18" gas gun will post chrono results vs. my 43.8varget loads.

edit: hopefully it's safe in gas gun............

I will be interested to see what it does in a gas gun. You should be fine at 47 with the roomier Winchester brass, but it might not hurt to start a little lower. That load is gonna beat that gas gun up though, it's gonna be a lot of horse power for it to handle. Keep it coming!

-SBS

Tag

Very Interested in this as well. I'm shooting a DPMS LR308 with two different uppers...a 16" & 20" upper, both are Rifle Length Gas Systems.

Searching for a local place in Houston, Tx to get these powders so that i can avoid the aggravating $25 Hazmat Fee. Can anyone help with this?

Don't mean to thread hijack.

Well, everyone has been wondering what this stuff will do in warmer weather. The nice thing about living in Northern Nevada is, if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes and it'll change. Chronoed on Friday when it was snowing at 34 F. Here's my chrono data from today:

Conditions, taken with a Kestrel:

Alt: 4560 ft
Bar Pr: 857 hPa
<span style="font-weight: bold">Temp: 78 F</span>

This is a full 40 F increase in temp from just a day ago, same load as before. I'll recap just for ease of reading the thread.

Case: Lapua once fired
Bullet: Berger 185 BT LR
Powder: 48.0 grns of Alliant 2000-MR

Velocity:
#1 2772
#2 2779
#3 2793
#4 2781
#5 2765
#6 2770
#7 2792
#8 2791
#9 2790
#10 2797
#11 2785
#12 2783
#13 2789
#14 2778

Avg = 2783 fps
ES = 33 fps

The ES is still higher than I would like, I might need to get a little more precise on my charge weights than what the RCBS Chargemaster can do. My case necks and primer pockets were pretty uniform this time so I guess the ES is what it is. Ran both my old loads side by side for pressure comparison today as well, those loads being 46 grns of RE 15 behind a 155 Scenar and my SMK 175's in front of 44 grns of Varget. Case heads and primers all looked pretty much the same to me. No ejector marks or gas leakage. That's all for now...

-SBS

so you picked up 43fps average in a 40 degree swing? Looks pretty stable for the most part.

Thanks, if my 7mm-08 increases accuracy with this powder then I may have to make the switch..

We'll see.

Thanks,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, everyone has been wondering what this stuff will do in warmer weather. The nice thing about living in Northern Nevada is, if you don't like the weather, wait ten minutes and it'll change. Chronoed on Friday when it was snowing at 34 F. Here's my chrono data from today:

Conditions, taken with a Kestrel:

Alt: 4560 ft
Bar Pr: 857 hPa
<span style="font-weight: bold">Temp: 78 F</span>

This is a full 40 F increase in temp from just a day ago, same load as before. I'll recap just for ease of reading the thread.

Case: Lapua once fired
Bullet: Berger 185 BT LR
Powder: 48.0 grns of Alliant 2000-MR

Velocity:
#1 2772
#2 2779
#3 2793
#4 2781
#5 2765
#6 2770
#7 2792
#8 2791
#9 2790
#10 2797
#11 2785
#12 2783
#13 2789
#14 2778

Avg = 2783 fps
ES = 33 fps

The ES is still higher than I would like, I might need to get a little more precise on my charge weights than what the RCBS Chargemaster can do. My case necks and primer pockets were pretty uniform this time so I guess the ES is what it is. Ran both my old loads side by side for pressure comparison today as well, those loads being 46 grns of RE 15 behind a 155 Scenar and my SMK 175's in front of 44 grns of Varget. Case heads and primers all looked pretty much the same to me. No ejector marks or gas leakage. That's all for now...

-SBS </div></div>

Your SD for those fourteen shots is still single digits (9.5), so I think that load looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for your posting on this powder.

Thinking about picking up some for a 7-08 to try.

7-08 would be would definitely be interesting with a berger 168gr VLD. If you could get it to 2700+ that would be a killer of a short action cartridge.

I just wanted to add that I have been loading up some ladder test loads for this powder through my Dillion 550.

It meters very well out of the dillon powder measure, much better than Varget or IMR 4064

Hopefully will get some group shots in the next couple of days.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so you picked up 43fps average in a 40 degree swing? Looks pretty stable for the most part.

Thanks, if my 7mm-08 increases accuracy with this powder then I may have to make the switch..

We'll see.

Thanks,
Merritt </div></div>

The average for the 10 shot string at <span style="font-weight: bold">36 F was 2762 fps</span>, the average at <span style="font-weight: bold">78 F was 2783 fps</span>, that's really only a 21 fps increase in average velocity for a 40 degree increase in temperature. I'd say that's pretty impressive in terms of temperature sensitivity.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7-08 would be would definitely be interesting with a berger 168gr VLD. If you could get it to 2700+ that would be a killer of a short action cartridge. </div></div>

I get that speed exactly with the 162 amax with 4350... If this powder does as advertized I should be able to push those 168s at about 2800. And the 180 bergers to about 2650. But I may just push the 162s harder, especially if this new AMP jacket is all it's cracked up to be. And thanks for the corrected average speed temp swing post. I just hope it stays this stable for me. I'll probably not use it for competitions until I can test it at multiple temps.

Thanks,
Merritt

This is a very interesting powder for sure. I agree SBS, 40+ temp increase and no huge jump is also just as impressive as the numbers the stuff is putting out.

Couldn't make it to my hillbilly shooting area, it's still snowed in. Made it about a mile and got hopelessly stuck
frown.gif

I should be able to get out to another range thursday or friday so I'll have chrono data then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't make it to my hillbilly shooting area, it's still snowed in. Made it about a mile and got hopelessly stuck
frown.gif

I should be able to get out to another range thursday or friday so I'll have chrono data then. </div></div>

BCP I know the feeling LOL... Had to borrow my dad's Polaris to get up into my spot three weeks ago. Warmer weather is a coming though buddy, but I share your sadness
wink.gif

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SagebrushShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Couldn't make it to my hillbilly shooting area, it's still snowed in. Made it about a mile and got hopelessly stuck
frown.gif

I should be able to get out to another range thursday or friday so I'll have chrono data then. </div></div>

BCP I know the feeling LOL... Had to borrow my dad's Polaris to get up into my spot three weeks ago. Warmer weather is a coming though buddy, but I share your sadness
wink.gif

-SBS </div></div>

...and with the warmer weather... a month of mud here.
frown.gif
We're lucky if we can get into our LR spot by the middle of May.

John

The funny part is it was no snow, no snow, take a turn and it's up past my bumper. I have 4wd, a foot or so I can deal with but 3ft not happening
frown.gif

There are a couple other places to shoot of course but that one is my favorite because it's secluded, I can get out about 500 and high enough in altitude so that during the summer it's only 90 up there, tops. Oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
...and with the warmer weather... a month of mud here.
frown.gif
We're lucky if we can get into our LR spot by the middle of May.

John</div></div>

Hey could be worse..could be mud, mosquitoes, 90+ temps and 100% humidity
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The funny part is it was no snow, no snow, take a turn and it's up past my bumper. I have 4wd, a foot or so I can deal with but 3ft not happening
frown.gif

There are a couple other places to shoot of course but that one is my favorite because it's secluded, I can get out about 500 and high enough in altitude so that during the summer it's only 90 up there, tops. Oh well. </div></div>

3 ft definitely is a no go in a pick-up truck. The Polaris I had was equiped with tracks so it's like a mini-snowcat
smile.gif
. Nifty when you wanna shoot or hunt mid-winter in the Sierra's.

-SBS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Hey could be worse..could be mud, mosquitoes, 90+ temps and 100% humidity
wink.gif
</div></div>

Wow, that sounds like an absolutely wonderful time
laugh.gif

Man i hate it. Shooting the in the summer around here is just absolutely dreadful. I tried last summer, waited till it cooled down to low 80s right before dark. After work i headed to the hunting camp, only to be greeted by tons of mosquitos. To make it worse i was sweating profusely. So i figured a good ole can of deet would keep em off, and it did on my arms and neck, then they started biting me through my shirt. The delta is possibly the worst place to shoot lol. We have one month of prime shooting conditions (spring) and everything else is from one extreme to another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaisersose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any data for .308 and 155 smk? </div></div>

+1 on this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kaisersose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any data for .308 and 155 smk? </div></div>

Haven't shot anything below the 175 SMK yet. Been sticking to the heavier bullets with this powder so far. Might load up some 155 Scenars this weekend, I don't have any of the 155 SMK's lying around though.

I hope you take a run at the 208gr hornadys

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BadBot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope you take a run at the 208gr hornadys</div></div>

I'll have to look up data for that bullet. I've never run anything heavier than the Berger 185's out of a .308, I can't imagine that bullet would even fit. The 185's are so long already, I wonder how much case capacity I'd be giving up running a 208 grn A-Max?

I just did an OCW today with Berger LR 185gr (HPBT).

I am getting incredible velocities out there and my mind might be messing with me, but the recoil did seem slightly less than with Varget. The only problem is that I am not grouping as tightly.

I am using Lapua Palma brass, Federal GM Match SR Primers, .007" of jam.

Chrony was 16 feet from the muzzle. Temp was 76*F

Velocities are as follows (average of at least 3 shots)
46.5gr....2,703fps
46.8gr....2,725fps
47.1gr....2,741fps
47.4gr....2,740fps
47.7gr....2,753fps
47.8gr....2,774fps
48.0gr....2,782fps
48.3gr....2,786fps
48.6gr....2,808fps
48.9gr....2,835fps

Right around 48 grains, I started to see some slight pressure signs. There were some very light ejector marks that I couldn't even take a picture of... you had to hold the head in the sun just right to see them. Also, I was seeing some cratering at 48.0gr (1 of 3 fired) and all cases 48.3gr and up.

According to JBM, my true MV was 2,790fps at 48.0gr, which is smoking. I am really conservative and up until now have been pushing 175 SMK's at 2700 fps. I feel safe running these under 48 grains.

OCW indicates a node at 47.4gr and 48.0gr. I really feel like I started the workup too high. I should have started at 46.0 gr or maybe even a tad lower.

The downside is that I did shoot a 5 shot group with a 47.8gr load just for sight-in and it came out at .721 MOA, which is a pretty crappy group for my rifle. That said, I hate to condemn a powder based on a non-optimal load. I did an OCW for Varget and SMK's and the average group size was smaller than this combo.

I just need to test some of the nodes and do some experimenting with seating depths and see what I come up with. Certainly, the velocities are outstanding given the lack of pressure signs.

I'm very interested in this powder after reading through the recent posts. Over the coarse of the past few months, I've tried Varget, Reloader15, 3031, and just loaded some 760 in my 308. So far my bullets have only been 168 & 175 SMKs. Reloader 15 is so far the best for accuracy & speed. The varget groups are slightly larger, enough so that I'm moving on. The 2000MR if available might be my next choice.

Looks like this powder has good temperature stability, load density, and speed. Hopefully the everyone can find a good node!

Paul

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just did an OCW today with Berger LR 185gr (HPBT).

I am getting incredible velocities out there and my mind might be messing with me, but the recoil did seem slightly less than with Varget. The only problem is that I am not grouping as tightly.

I am using Lapua Palma brass, Federal GM Match SR Primers, .007" of jam.

Chrony was 16 feet from the muzzle. Temp was 76*F

Velocities are as follows (average of at least 3 shots)
46.5gr....2,703fps
46.8gr....2,725fps
47.1gr....2,741fps
47.4gr....2,740fps
47.7gr....2,753fps
47.8gr....2,774fps
48.0gr....2,782fps
48.3gr....2,786fps
48.6gr....2,808fps
48.9gr....2,835fps

Right around 48 grains, I started to see some slight pressure signs. There were some very light ejector marks that I couldn't even take a picture of... you had to hold the head in the sun just right to see them. Also, I was seeing some cratering at 48.0gr (1 of 3 fired) and all cases 48.3gr and up.

According to JBM, my true MV was 2,790fps at 48.0gr, which is smoking. I am really conservative and up until now have been pushing 175 SMK's at 2700 fps. I feel safe running these under 48 grains.

OCW indicates a node at 47.4gr and 48.0gr. I really feel like I started the workup too high. I should have started at 46.0 gr or maybe even a tad lower.

The downside is that I did shoot a 5 shot group with a 47.8gr load just for sight-in and it came out at .721 MOA, which is a pretty crappy group for my rifle. That said, I hate to condemn a powder based on a non-optimal load. I did an OCW for Varget and SMK's and the average group size was smaller than this combo.

I just need to test some of the nodes and do some experimenting with seating depths and see what I come up with. Certainly, the velocities are outstanding given the lack of pressure signs. </div></div>

This is right in line with what I've been getting in terms of pressure and velocity. What barrel length and action are you running just out of curiosity? On the accuracy side, I will say that my off-node loads where holding about 1 MOA, which is not that great. My loads that are right on my nodes have been holding 1/2 MOA or better out to 500 yds. I just loaded up 50 more about an hour ago at 47.8 grns, gonna get my dope out to 1k and see how the groups hold up at that distance tomorrow. Glad someone else got some data up to collaborate! Sweet!

-SBS

I am running a Tac Ops, which is a Remington 700 with a special reamer to shoot FGMM. It gives me a pretty short throat, but that is not an issue here. I am not even close to running a compressed load. My barrel length is 22" and my twist rate is 1:10".

With Varget and these Bergers, I am running around .4 MOA for 5-shot groups on average. Group sizes vary from 1/4 MOA to 3/4 MOA (again 5 shots). I have not chronied my Varget loads with the Bergers yet. I just knocked off a couple tenths of a grain off of my 175 SMK load and it worked out immediately. I guess that is why I get a gut feeling that Varget is more accurate for me.

However, if I find a load that works here, that additional 100-150 fps will come in handy. Based on JBM, compared to my SMK + Varget load, I am retaining an extra 200 fps at 1,000 yards at sea level. That is huge!

Hopefully, I will get the chance to test this out at long range next weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am running a Tac Ops, which is a Remington 700 with a special reamer to shoot FGMM. It gives me a pretty short throat, but that is not an issue here. I am not even close to running a compressed load. My barrel length is 22" and my twist rate is 1:10".

With Varget and these Bergers, I am running around .4 MOA for 5-shot groups on average. Group sizes vary from 1/4 MOA to 3/4 MOA (again 5 shots). I have not chronied my Varget loads with the Bergers yet. I just knocked off a couple tenths of a grain off of my 175 SMK load and it worked out immediately. I guess that is why I get a gut feeling that Varget is more accurate for me.

However, if I find a load that works here, that additional 100-150 fps will come in handy. Based on JBM, compared to my SMK + Varget load, I am retaining an extra 200 fps at 1,000 yards at sea level. That is huge!

Hopefully, I will get the chance to test this out at long range next weekend. </div></div>

That's pretty damn good accuracy coming out of the Varget. I'm curious as to what your velocities are with that powder compared to the 2000-MR? I can't believe you're getting those numbers with a 22" tube from the 2000-MR. Mine is running at 25" and our numbers are almost identical.

My chamber and bore are tight and my throat is short. I am getting 2735 fps out of FGMM 175! Truly, with fast powders in a 308, you get very marginal velocity increases with extra length. I have read study after study where they have chopped barrels and using factory ammo, get no decrease in velocity until they get below 20".

Varget works great. Especially with 175 SMK's, my accuracy load is at 100% fill. I need to shake the case a little before seating or I will feel a kernel or two crunch. I suspect that is a good thing.

The fill level for this powder is a little lower than Varget. We will see if it gets me the accuracy I want. If not, I will go back to Varget. It is nice to have an accurate load for a temperature insensitive powder.