• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tikka T3x TAC A1 First Impressions

shamir

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2012
Portland, OR
I bought a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor last week. I've been eyeing them for a while, and one of them showed up at my local Sportsmans Warehouse and I jumped on it.

Impressions so far
- Gun is heavier than my other Tikkas in X-Ray/Whiskey 3 but balances great
- Action is the usual Tikka butter smooth
- The safety is new to Tikkas. It has a little tab next to the main selector. Putting the safety one normally locks the bolt, but you can press the little tab down and cycle the bolt. This won't allow the gun to fire - I tried that with pressure on the trigger and bouncing the gun a few times. Neat innovation that allows both a locked bolt, but also safe ejections of a live round in the chamber.
- The stock comes with three QD swivel attachment points: 1) on the rear stock, usable from both sides, 2) in the center just above the trigger, and 3) a little M-Lok attachment that you can put anywhere on the fore-end. I put it all the way in the front on the left side, the way I like it. All of these also come with a loop for a (HK?) sling. I use QD attachments on FTW sling, so this works great for me. Having the option to fold the stock and attach the QD sling to the middle point really makes it easy to carry the gun across your chest without brushing it against bushes and such.
- it came with 2 Tikka CTR 10 round mags, and you can get another when you register. I had another Tikka CTR mag lying around, and it works great with that as well. The mags are single-feed and double stack, so much shorter than my usual AICS 10-rders. Unfortunately, you can't stuff another 11th round into them. The mag follower has a raised tip, probably to aid feeding, but it might make loading long COAL rounds an issue. Otherwise max COAL looks to be pretty long. One thing to note is that the follower comes out of the mag pretty easily if you tip the round backward - just have to figure out how to load rounds into it, and then the mag works great.
- feeding, ejection, etc was all super smooth. Mag rattles a little when seated, but doesn't fall out, and I didn't have any feeding problems despite rattling it. And it drops free smoothly.
- no extra picatinny rails, so I had to purchase some for the M-Lok forend. I got a set of polymer rails from Amazon, and they attached fine.
- trigger is a 2-stage trigger, which is also new to Tikka. I tried to adjust it down while it was in the stock through the hole in the magazine well, but it was really hard to do. So I finally took the action out of the stock. Turns out none of the attached allen wrenches is the right size - you need a really small one. Trigger adjusts down to the point where the second stage is almost imperceptible and you can just pull through it accidentally. I adjusted it up a little from there, so around 2.5 lbs. I've always wanted a 2-stage trigger ever since I shot one on an AI a couple of years ago, and so I love this trigger. That said some of my groups on the rage were stringing horizontally, so clearly I need to work more on trigger control on this 2-stage trigger. Might lighten it up below 2lbs next time I am out.
- gun shot amazingly well. First 5 shot group (shots 4-9 after zeroing) was 0.6", and the best of the day was 0.573". Worst was 1.4", but this was with lots of horizontal stringing late in the day, and I put it down mostly to my unfamiliarity with the 2-stage trigger. This is all with no barrel break-in and just one cleaning of the barrel, factory Prime 130 grain ammo. Velocity was a little low, at 2844 fps, but SD was 9.3 across 10 shots with an ES of 32, which is great for factory ammo. Speed will probably pickup a little bit as the barrel breaks in.

Overall, I love this gun. I am going to shoot the Tactical Supply PRS match this weekend with it. I'll probably use it to shoot Production class later in the year - need to find a cheaper scope first.

Attachments

• photo58967.jpg
    photo58967.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 337
  • photo58968.jpg
    photo58968.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 430
  • photo58969.jpg
    photo58969.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
Reactions: TangoM
Thanks. I think this is going to be my next rifle. Looking forward to better availability. There was another review that said the fit and finish wasn't great.

I wasn't a huge fan of that trigger after handling it yesterday. I wished it was just the trg trigger. I'm not a fan of that thin blade trigger. The chassis is not the prettiest, but it seemed like it had everything ​you need. Like any other Tikka though, I'm sure once you get the trigger down, it will be shooting nice small groups. The action runs great like the others. I didn't notice the safe unlock feature. That is pretty handy.

they have one of these for 1749 at my local SW. if i could afford this and another scope/ rings etc i would be all about this. both of my Tikka's have been swapped over to chassis's and are excellent shooters. this one i wouldn't have to change at all!

The trigger blade feels like its the same as regular Tikka T3xs - only the 2-stage + safety is new. I shoot factory Tikka triggers on all my guns, so the trigger blade is not a problem to me. What I am finding after a little more shooting is that the grip isn't working for me. While it feels great in the hand, its difficult to shoot with the thumb on the same side as the trigger finger. I am used to that style of shooting with my KRG chassis, so I may have to swap this grip for something like the new MPA one. Adjusted the trigger down a little bit, and I have it set to where the 2nd stage is only a little bit more than the first stage - you can feel it, but once you get there just a little extra pressure will set it off. I'll see how this works at the Tac Supply Match tomorrow.

I keep visiting one of these at a local shop. Even though I have a custom at 2x the price on its way Im still drawn to this rifle.

Very feature rich at a high price but at sub $2K its a no brainer.

I still haven't gotten over the TRG trigger. Been keeping my ears on if this had the same. Bummer it isnt the same, but I want to try it anyhow.

they have one of these for 1749 at my local SW. if i could afford this and another scope/ rings etc i would be all about this. both of my Tikka's have been swapped over to chassis's and are excellent shooters. this one i wouldn't have to change at all!

$1749? I saw one for $1450 the other day...

I don't see this rifle anywhere here in CA.
Which scope did you put on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see this rifle anywhere here in CA.
Which scope did you put on there?

I bought mine at Rifle Gear in Orange County. They shipped it from their Texas branch. Was about a month ago though.

I bought mine at Rifle Gear in Orange County. They shipped it from their Texas branch. Was about a month ago though.

That's awesome, I'll check their website to see if there is any stock. Thanks for he heads up
Have you shoot it yet? Which range did you bring it to. Thanks

Hi Guys/Girls,

I recently picked one of these up in sunny Australia in 6.5C with the folding stock. Beretta Australia provide a great batch of inclusions with the TAC-a1: Hard case, the QD tabs, a short Picatinny rail which is used to mount the supplied 6-9" swivel bi-pod and the TRG muzzle brake.

I have never been more impressed with what i would call a commodity rifle straight out of the box.

I'm shooting the Hornady143gr ELD-X factory ammunition while i wait for my dies to come in.

After getting it zero'd to 100m (109.8yards) i shot the following groups after a quick patch through the barrel:

5 @.321 MOA at 100m, [email protected] MOA at 200m (218yards)

Second day at the range i shot a series of animal targets before deciding to shoot my last 8 rounds in a 5 shot at 100m and 3 shot at 200m.

5 @ .232 MOA @100m and the icing on the cake was the 3 @ .185MOA @ 200m. (it says.201 but i hadn't factored int he extra 18 yards due to metric conversion)

shoot.jpg

I'm certainly impressed with those numbers given 0 customisation of the load to the rifle and the 5-10km/h side wind gusts.

Cheers,

JB

Last edited:
Hi Guys/Girls,

I recently picked one of these up in sunny Australia in 6.5C with the folding stock. Beretta Australia provide a great batch of inclusions with the TAC-a1: Hard case, the QD tabs, a short Picatinny rail which is used to mount the supplied 6-9" swivel bi-pod and the TRG muzzle brake.

I have never been more impressed with what i would call a commodity rifle straight out of the box.

I'm shooting the Hornady143gr ELD-X factory ammunition while i wait for my dies to come in.

After getting it zero'd to 100m (109.8yards) i shot the following groups after a quick patch through the barrel:

Second day at the range i shot a series of animal targets before deciding to shoot my last 8 rounds in a 5 shot at 100m and 3 shot at 200m.

5 @ .232 MOA @100m and the icing on the cake was the 3 @ .185MOA @ 200m. (it says.201 but i hadn't factored int he extra 18 yards due to metric conversion)

I'm certainly impressed with those numbers given 0 customisation of the load to the rifle and the 5-10km/h side wind gusts.

Cheers,

JB

Nice shooting. Making it harder for me to not buy this gun. You guys get alot packaged together. Not sure if they are doing that in the US.

Yea EddieE,

i was surprised as well with what the importer into Australia supplied.

My original plan was to buy an RPR but you cant get them for love nor money in 6.5 Creedmoor in Australia, or .308 for that matter. When i was told about the unknown delivery time frame the decision made itself.

Honestly I'm stoked.

Last edited:
$1749? I saw one for $1450 the other day...

I just picked up one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor myself. Haven't gotten to the range because of all the rain we've had lately but impressions are good so far.
As for pricing, I've seen the 308 version on GB with a starting bid of $1400 but not anywhere have I seen the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for other then $1795.

I just picked up one of these in 6.5 Creedmoor myself. Haven't gotten to the range because of all the rain we've had lately but impressions are good so far.
As for pricing, I've seen the 308 version on GB with a starting bid of $1400 but not anywhere have I seen the 260 or 6.5 Creedmoor for other then $1795.

I think like with anything else, prices will come down as the supply hits the market. I don't have to be the first to get the newest anything...I can wait for better pricing.

Great shooting. I haven't tried the 143 ELD-X in mine yet. The ELD-M shot slightly worse than the Prime ammo for me (~0.6-0.7 MoA), so I am sticking with Prime for now. So far my only complaints are with 1) 2-stage trigger and 2) high scope height above bore. Those are really just me needing to get used to a different rifle than my KRG stocked Tikkas :).

Hi Guys/Girls,

Cheers,

JB

I used a Spuhr 4602 pic mount with 34MM rings and 1.46 height for my ATACR with 56MM objective. Didn't notice an issue with scope being too high and the objective just does clear the front rail. This is the same mount/scope I have used on my AIAX with rail on the fore end so maybe I'm just used to it.

Got to the range today. Found 100 yard zero on my ATACR and set the zero stop. Fired three more on steel to confirm and rifle showed promising results. Then moved over to the 520 yard range to check it out on longer range steel. It was a pleasant surprise to find the ammo I had loaded for my other 6.5 Creedmoor worked smoothly in the new T3 and even more a pleasant surprise to see the first five shots in a very tight cluster at 520 yards. It's a keeper!
BTW, got one of these to attach the bipod and it's just a really neat gadget. I played with it for an hour when I took it out of the package (easily amused).
http://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...-sku100018021-80624-168646.aspx?sku=100018021

Last edited:
I ordered one in 260 last week and it's on the way, I am excited to shoot it when I get home.

Got to handle one of these side by side with a RPR yesterday. The Tikka was noticeably smoother.

Its a 0 moa picatinny rail on top. One of the few things they didn't get right on this rifle, but 0 moa seems standard for full length picatinny rails common on ARs. Iv'e been thinking of getting one of the new Spuhr QD mounts with 20-30 Moa built in.

So my friend purchased one of these. We took it to the range running 140 amax. It was interesting to say the least. First load was a 2.82 OAL w 43 grains of H4350. Seriously 1/3 group at 100 yards.
on a magneeto speed it was around 2715 FPS. SD of 9...... Next load was 2.875 OAL with 43.5 grns of H4350 SD 8 half 1/3 inch group as well. But it sped up to 2795FPS

All groups where 5 round groups shot of sand bags..... Trigger was lowered to the lightest setting. 2lbs.

This thing shoots very very well. For the price they are nice.

This was with a 260 remington

Shoot a few rounds thru mine Friday. Shot very well; no group sizes because I was shooting on steel at 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. The dial up at each distance was a few tenths mil more than the same ammo from my other 6.5 Creedmoor (a 26" barrel by AO Precision) but it was solidly in the middle of the steel all the way down. My AO has an APA LB brake and it's like shooting a 223 in recoil. I can usually see my trace and bullet strikes easily. The Tikka is lighter and the lack of a brake made it really impossible to do that. I'll likely install a YHM adaptor and try it out with the suppressor on the next range trip. I will say that the Tikka is smoother and, in my opinion, a much cleaner looking rifle that the Ruger RPR and would make a great budget (if one can call $1800 budget) PRS or just plain fun at the range rifle.

Shoot a few rounds thru mine Friday. Shot very well; no group sizes because I was shooting on steel at 600, 800, 900 and 1,000 yards. The dial up at each distance was a few tenths mil more than the same ammo from my other 6.5 Creedmoor (a 26" barrel by AO Precision) but it was solidly in the middle of the steel all the way down. My AO has an APA LB brake and it's like shooting a 223 in recoil. I can usually see my trace and bullet strikes easily. The Tikka is lighter and the lack of a brake made it really impossible to do that. I'll likely install a YHM adaptor and try it out with the suppressor on the next range trip. I will say that the Tikka is smoother and, in my opinion, a much cleaner looking rifle that the Ruger RPR and would make a great budget (if one can call $1800 budget) PRS or just plain fun at the range rifle.

My Tac A1 came with a muzzle brake in the box, which I installed myself by just spinning it on and then tightening the top screw once it was aligned. Did you check your box to see if you have a muzzle brake too? Its not installed by default, but pretty easy to do. Not as good as some of the muzzle brakes out there, especially the ones with a top port, but it doesn't make as much noise either.

Reactions: MarkBlue
Absolutely love the Tikka, I have been shooting a 243 RPR and have over 1000 rounds shot. Still shooting between .21 and .3 MOA with handloads. The Tika after sighting in scope and shooting store ammo I shot .4 MOA in five shot groups. Can't wait to start handloading, 6.5 CM.

Has anyone or is anyone machining the bottom of the Tikka actions the slight amount needed, so they can accept and work with the Magpul AICS type mags thicker feed lips profile. I don't believe the slight amount of material being removed would compromise the integrity or rigidity of the action in anyway.

Last edited:
Can someone please take a picture of a tac a1 removed from its chassis. I'm wondering if it's the same action and pic rail as a ctr but with 2 stage trigger.

thanks

I don't have the 24.5" CTR, but removing the TAC A1 from its chassis, it looks just like my other Tikka barreled actions. The barreled action will fit in any stock in-letted for a Tikka T3x action. I suspect that you are right and the barreled action is identical to the T3x CTR 24.5".

Hey bud, trying to decide which Spuhr to get for my ATACR on my just "ordered" TAC A1, any chance you could text me a picture of the height? ..610-972-6651 I currently have the 1.5 SPUHR on an AICS chassis and it sits too high..

Sorry, I've been under the weather and haven't checked this site in several days.
I have a NF ATAC-R in the Spuhr mount number I provided. Due to the pic rail on the top of the fore end the objective bell barely clears the pic rail enough to allow the rubber cover to go on over it. I don't think you could go any lower on a mount. This mount had been on an AIAX with basically the same top rail so I thought it would work. The 1.5 you have on the AICS chassis would likely work fine on the T3X TAC A1. It is 34mm isn't it?

Looking forward to hearing more updates. Looking to get one.

Got my 6.5 CM right hand at Shooters Outpost in Hookset Nh, also Kittery Trading Post in ME is a distributor

When I was asking the guys at Shooters Outpost to see if they had one in Coyote Brown they said they don’t and they don’t have any incoming inventory and he is not going to take orders until May or June of ’21

But they did have LH 6.5 for $1799 don’t know if it is still there - if you are out of state call them to see if they will ship to your local FFL