• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

USMC Birthday 2017

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    The tone of posting has been pretty heavy as of late, bordering on depressing.

Lets have a post celebrating something everyone can appreciate....

Friday is the 10th November, 242 years since Tun Tavern.

If you fire a MeuSoc this week post up a picture of that blast covered beast...

Breakout your M40 in tribute to those that went before us - post a picture.

Favorite Uncle Ed just passed and he is a Khe Sahn vet memorialize him.

Attend a cake cutting lets see it.....

You get an EGA tattooed on your girlfriends privates those should be posted any time but especially here.

Example from an event I attended 2-3 years ago.....

https://youtu.be/0GdvERCtLMA

That dude was OIC Wounded Warrior BN and a Hardcharger.

Last edited:
    [h=2]A Birthday Message From The Commandant Of The Marine Corps[/h]
    Sixty years ago, the United States Marine Corps—as it has throughout our history—demonstrated its vital role as America’s Expeditionary Force in Readiness. Just weeks after North Korean Communist forces crossed the 38th Parallel, the First Marine Provisional Brigade landed in South Korea, forming the backbone of the perimeter around the city of Pusan. The efforts of the “Fire Brigade” at Pusan allowed for the daring amphibious landing at Inchon and set the stage for one of the most savage campaigns in our Corps’ history—the Chosin Reservoir. As we pause to celebrate our 235th Birthday, we pay special tribute to the Marines of the Korean War and recognize their contributions to our enduring legacy.

This past year marked the end of Marine Corps combat operations in Iraq. Beginning with the invasion in March 2003 and through the next seven years of fighting, our Corps acquitted itself valiantly in the Anbar province and throughout the country. Locations such as Fallujah and Ramadi have taken their place in the illustrious battle history of our Corps. Our efforts in defeating the insurgency helped to build a brighter future for all Iraqis.

For 235 years, at sea and ashore, Marines have succeeded in every clime and place . . . where hardship and adversity have often been the common thread. Today, in the rugged mountains and valleys of Afghanistan—and recently in earthquake-damaged Haiti . . . in flood-ravaged Pakistan . . . or off the coast of Africa—we continue to protect our Nation, just as we did 60 years ago in Korea.

To the Marines and Sailors deployed overseas, to those training and preparing for their next deployment and to the warriors who no longer wear our uniform . . . we honor your selfless service to the Nation. To our loved ones who endure the many difficulties that come with being part of the Marine Family, I want to extend my sincerest thanks for all you have done and all you continue to do.

Happy 235th Birthday, Marines!

Semper Fidelis,

James F. Amos
    General, U.S. Marine Corps

https://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/birthday-message-commandant-marine-corps

On 10 NOV 1775 the United States Navy gave Birth to a Reprobate child called the Marines, and to this date we are still proud to be your Taxi Cabs... Happy Birthday USMC.

During my career in the Navy I met some of the most memorable people in my life, most of who were Marines. I love the friendly rivalry, and the way how only a marine can motivate you, aboard ship and my first command the USS Rushmore LSD47 I always enjoyed working parties when the Marines were involved because it was no longer a task but a challenge.

Most of my family have all been Navy, but my Grandfather was a USMC Warrant Officer, but more significant than that he wasn't just a WO he was one of the first 100 to ever be Commissioned in 1943-45 when the USMC officially adopted Warrant Officer from the Navy into the Commissioned Ranks of the USMC.

​​​​​​My father recently passed down my grandfather's Uniform, Foot Locker, service records, and military ID to me as I am kind of The Record Keeper of military in my family. One thing I did find a bit comical was when my grandfather passed on, my father and I had to pack up and clean his house. Where would you think I would find his medals?? In a jewelry box, maybe an old Cigar Box, maybe in his Foot Locker?? ...nope, I found them in a old Folgers Coffee can mixed in with bolts and nuts in the garage.. :)

This is an appropriate song for me on 11/10, https://youtu.be/dFaPw_uVUHA, that said I really miss my pig(M60) every once in awhile. Now my daughter is in the Navy and I can't help but tease her. She is training to be a corpsman, I don't know what her next duty station is going to be yet but I'm sure she's going to eat better than I did when I was in the Corps. Semper Fi.

Some PWS built M40A1 today.....

670.JPG

Attachments

• PB067663.JPG
      PB067663.JPG
      48.3 KB · Views: 29
    • PB067662.JPG
      PB067662.JPG
      99.9 KB · Views: 29
    • PB067664.JPG
      PB067664.JPG
      101.4 KB · Views: 27
    • PB067666.JPG
      PB067666.JPG
      120.6 KB · Views: 25
    Some PWS built M40A1 today.....

While I was never trained as a Hog I did shoot one (second from right).....

Man, that is a cool picture. Can you give a few details?

Seeing the the old woodies with a skivvy for a do-rag brought back some awesome memories.

Man, that is a cool picture. Can you give a few details?

Seeing the the old woodies with a skivvy for a do-rag brought back some awesome memories.

Some date between April and October 87. I was with Wpns 3/8. A small detachment of us went down to the PI from Oki and we walked patrols in the bunker complex at Subic.

During one patrol we heard a big ruckus in the jungle on the hill above us. In about the only time I was issued ammo with the Infantry, in response to the threat of Communist rebels trying to steal from the bunkers, the Corporal had us lock and load and put me on point.

I walked up the hill and piggy jumped up on a fallen tree throwing a shit fit. The Corporal yelled "Shoot!" And I shot.

The pig went down but was alive. We discovered that the pig had been snared by someone hunting where they shouldn't have been. We than went into "Oh shit" mode having shot a round at a tied up pig.

Our Gunny came out and put the pig down. We butchered it and had the PI cooks serve it up with some rice.

When we cut it up we checked out what my shot had done.

It made a pencil hole in the left shoulder blade. The right shoulder blade was blown to tiny bits. It was pretty horrendous.

Better piggy than any of us in the photo.

Some date between April and October 87. I was with Wpns 3/8. A small detachment of us went down to the PI from Oki and we walked patrols in the bunker complex at Subic.

During one patrol we heard a big ruckus in the jungle on the hill above us. In about the only time I was issued ammo with the Infantry, in response to the threat of Communist rebels trying to steal from the bunkers, the Corporal had us lock and load and put me on point.

I walked up the hill and piggy jumped up on a fallen tree throwing a shit fit. The Corporal yelled "Shoot!" And I shot.

The pig went down but was alive. We discovered that the pig had been snared by someone hunting where they shouldn't have been. We than went into "Oh shit" mode having shot a round at a tied up pig.

Our Gunny came out and put the pig down. We butchered it and had the PI cooks serve it up with some rice.

When we cut it up we checked out what my shot had done.

It made a pencil hole in the left shoulder blade. The right shoulder blade was blown to tiny bits. It was pretty horrendous.

Better piggy than any of us in the photo.

Very cool. I'm imagining the "fucking tiger" scene from Apocolypse Now.

My Father, 1952, Korea, Sgt USMC sitting on top of his tank's turret

dad by ChorizoUSMC, on Flickr

Me, back in Flight School at 26 years old

2lt by ChorizoUSMC, on Flickr

Chorizo,

If you had captioned these.....

"Me on my Patton with Thompson"

and

"Me after I transferred to the wing"

I would have been like "Yep same dude, looks exactly alike."

Great history.

Chorizo,

If you had captioned these.....

"Me on my Patton with Thompson"

and

"Me after I transferred to the wing"

I would have been like "Yep same dude, looks exactly alike."

Great history.

You should see my little brother. My Dad's name is Pete and my little brother was such a copy of my Dad, everybody called him "Re-Pete".

His tank was a M-26 Pershing.

Also had a nephew who served and recently got out.

So we had three generations of Marines.

Last edited:
    You should see my little brother. My Dad's name is Pete and my little brother was such a copy of my Dad, everybody called him "Re-Pete".

His tank was a M-26 Pershing.

Also had a nephew who served and recently got out.

So we had three generations of Marines.

Well Pete gets the first piece of cake and it is my hope he can pass it to a healthy Dad.

Strong genes if he is able to clone himself twice.

Very cool. I'm imagining the "fucking tiger" scene from Apocolypse Now.

Lots of animals when I was in the Marine Corps....

Habu
    PB077668.JPG

Turtles

PB077669.JPG

Monitor Lizard main courses

PB077670.JPG

I preffered dealing with the rice and lumpia ladies though

PB077671.JPG

In the civilized world there were cows. I learned of the "weaning' calf

PB077730.JPG

It was a cow, doesnt make me gay.

In Liberia the locals learned they could make a good buck selling us animals we would buy and let go...

PB077710.JPG

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jdZcKsPl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/b9amxFBl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

We kept the mongoose and a 6 foot rock python. We stopped buying animals unless they were birds or rats to feed the snake. When Liberia took a neo op 3/8 came in to secure the Embassy. One of those guys poisoned our mongoose.

Really embarrassed by what a shitty unit 3/8 was on that op as they were my old unit. Fuckers turned the swimming pool into a cesspool and had a negligent burst with a SAW at the door to their break room inside our building.

They replaced 2/4. 2/4 was locked the fuck on and left the place better looking when they left than when they arrived.

Kudos to any 2/4 guys.

Last edited:
    Those are some awesome old pics. I regret not bothering to keep a camera handy for some of the dumb shit I'd like to have a photo record of. Not many pictures at all of my young studly self. Now that I'm just another old guy I rabidly avoid photos as well.

First thing I bought when I got in the fleet was a Canon Aqua Snappy 35mm from the PX at Camp Geiger. Cost me 100 percent of one of my two checks that month.

Now its a $30 relic

41LRuwFbwJL__SX300_QL70_.jpg

Took pictures whenever I could...

PB077667.JPG

Last edited:
    Thought I would shoot today but went to get a haircut for a USMCevent I have on Monday. Hopefully shoot a USMC inspired rifle tomorrow.

Here is some MSG range time...
    PB077690.JPG

PB077692.JPGPB077694.JPG

PB077706.JPG

These dudes probably didnt live long after these photos PB077708.JPG

PB077732.JPG

Combat Casualty Battalion, ie Everyone is an Infantryman

PB077714.JPG

PB077722.JPG

PB077716.JPG

Speaking of Liberia, here was my view. I didn't take near enough pics either, this one was from a buddy's stash. But I did learn my lesson and took 150GB worth on vacation the last three weeks.

22036587269_ba5e4a53c4_z.jpg

We have spoke before about these. Its always good to see more Mamba Point.

I can almost smell the open sewerage.

Africa - so much potential, so much poor leadership........

Im having fun with my tribute to Marines as well as myself, kind of an online float jacket with fucking dragons on the sleeves and shit.....

An M40 (modified) today. Modified because in another realization that the Marines that preceded me were that much better, and I cant shoot a 3-9X Redfield with capped turrets well enough using "Over the Head, Under the Balls" to group, therefore I mounted a Weaver T10 with 1/4 MOA target turrets. The fact the USMC gave a schlub like me the honor of an EGA means I must live my life making sure I never fuck over those guys that went before me...

PB127737.JPG

PB127738.JPG

PB127739.JPG

I either shot above my paygrade today or 37 degrees is the optimum temperature for my 4064/168 grn reloads. Ive never outshot my M40A1 with the 40 until today....

PB127740.JPG

answer me this batman? Why do people buy expensive splatter targets and post them than not shoot them or if trying to shoot them and missing not recover them....

PB127741.JPG

I got these two and another, two holes total in the three targets. WTF?

Last edited:
    and now to don the Float Jacket with the Bulldog slobbering on the back.....

In every clime and place......

PB077673.JPG

Fucking Seabees could out drink everyone....

PB077674.JPG

The shirts say "United States Naval Infantry" in Russian

PB077675.JPG

PB077676.JPG

When America had the balls to say Fuck You! The front of the Embassy in Moscow.

PB077677.JPGPB077678.JPGPB077679.JPGPB077680.JPG

The Trump Russia connection.......guess Ill never get to hold an elected office in PC Amerika......

Mp2T4vMl.jpg

Last edited:
    Marine Corps Birthday Luncheon in Boston today....

PB127742.JPG

Mario DiCarlo.

After Pearl Harbor he went to the local recruiter in Waltham MA and tried to enlist in the USMC. When the recruiter asked what he was presently doing he stated building RADARs at Raytheon in Waltham. They told him he was untouchable as a critical war worker.

He went to Boston to see the Marine recruiter. That Marine had him leaving for PI most hastily and Mario ran RADARs on Guadalcanal.

We almost missed today's events. Mario is 95 odd years old. His son that arranges the reservations is in his mid seventies with his own age related issues. Something fell through with the reservations and they had no table for us. Realizing what Mario represents in the USMC they shit us a table most hastily.

Unfortunately because we were not on the list of registered attendees Mario missed out being the oldest marine present to accept cake from General Dunford. He missed it last year also because his son was late with transportation. Its not my place, Im only a guest of the family, but Ive asked if I can contact the Semper Fi society and next year Im going to make sure Mario is recognized.

Four or so years ago Mario did get the cake....

20171113_152557(1).jpg

She certainly learned more today than she would have in school.

Commandants Birthday Video....

https://youtu.be/tDn2_E33IsQ

General Dunford's opening remarks....

https://youtu.be/Y3lHmgdUxDY

General Dunford on John Meuse, Navy Cross, Republic of Vietnam....

https://youtu.be/qBhkw4Z4fA8

My Commandant General Alfred M. Gray, still Hard Corps....

https://youtu.be/3nAuDEQQhRk

Mario still a kid when my daughter wanted to get his picture...

PB137760.JPG

Attachments

• PB137743.JPG
      PB137743.JPG
      101 KB · Views: 20
    • 20171113_174130.jpg
      20171113_174130.jpg
      91.6 KB · Views: 18
    • PB106020.JPG
      PB106020.JPG
      76.1 KB · Views: 19
    • 20171113_174050.jpg
      20171113_174050.jpg
      79.6 KB · Views: 15
    • 111014marinesnl07.jpg
      111014marinesnl07.jpg
      110.7 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:
    Okay, I'll play...

Beach landing...can you see the joy of everyone about to get wet in 50 degree weather? Not.

Attachments

• photo78942.jpg
      photo78942.jpg
      43.9 KB · Views: 22
    • photo78943.jpg
      photo78943.jpg
      91 KB · Views: 21
    • photo78944.jpg
      photo78944.jpg
      33.6 KB · Views: 19
    • photo78945.jpg
      photo78945.jpg
      140.7 KB · Views: 21
    Forgot one...A high school buddy's wife (both were Marines) on a FET...

Attachments

• photo78946.jpg
      photo78946.jpg
      96.2 KB · Views: 16
    Seeing pics of you guys living hard and dangerous I'm almost embarrassed to post up my next batch of pictures from the Geneva MSG posting.........

photo78963.jpg
    Also found this one, of me and another buddy on my first deployment, as a wee boot LCpl radio operator...

Attachments

• photo78961.jpg
      photo78961.jpg
      47.6 KB · Views: 15
    Last edited:
    Yes Company parties always fun.

"You are directed to meet at 1530 hours at such and such a designated place in the designated uniform -PT gear - where you will enoy the Company Party.

You are authorized two beers and any conversation between enlisted and officer will be limited to inane banter.

At promptly 1730 the Company party will terminate and you will report to your barracks where there will be some unexpected clusterfuck, (unexpected by you anyways), resulting in pissing off the First Sergeant who will immediately notify the entire Company of a 0700 hours next day inspection in which it will be expected everything will be 100 percent sat.

You best prepare yourself for at least 9 hours of unexpected field day scheduled to begin at plus or minus 1745 depending on how long it takes the officers to get the left over beer to their quarters.

That is all"

PB147764.JPG

There is a place for me in heaven because I served my time in hell. Viewer discretion advised.

Geneva

PB077688.JPG

PB077696.JPG

PB077698.JPG

NHG6fSbl.jpg

rodWUILl.jpg

PB077704.JPG
    PB077726.JPG
    PB077728.JPG
    PB077727.JPG
    PB077731.JPG
    PB077729.JPG

I have more guns this thread didnt end......

but its been interrupted a bit by the death of a Marine.

My wifes father passed away.

Became a Marine in 1957, left active service in 1961, still a Marine.

Im doing something i havent done in close to 30 years.....putting together an Alpha blouse...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/z3zqzsql.jpg"}[/IMG2]

The wool on this thing would make Filson jealous. I was in at the time of winter/summer - wool/poly, we got two alpha blouses to wear depending on time of year. I could never tell the two apart. There is no mistaking this is a WOOL blouse. I dont even think we had real lower pockets they were just a patch on the body of the blouse. This old school animal actually has a bellows.

We also have his old school herringbones.....

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/owAbU7sl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

He never really talked much about his TIS. Mentioned he almost got called back to go to the Dominican. That might explain the Fourragere as I think it was the 5th Marines that did that op. But still I thought he was east coast. Maybe he was 6th Marines. DD214 doesnt provide much info other than he was 0311.

Im also setting up one of these....

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ePIuVUyl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Sometime after leaving the USMC he went USCGR and earned the points to retire.

We believe thats him on the bow of the motor life boat...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/W9PTST8l.jpg"}[/IMG2]

He served at USCG Station Chatham, MA, one of the most beautiful places on earth...

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/Rn4ie7nl.jpg"}[/IMG2]

We are planning a vacation in the summer that will include a striper fishing trip on the Monomoy rips and Corporal/BM3 Miminos will be returned to the sea to patrol his old patrol area for eternity.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Paratus....

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ya2pFTel.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Last edited:
    Okay something from Marios and the Father in laws time in service.......

PK1euwel.jpg

DLo9kMhl.jpg

B2UVXR0l.jpg

Im sure they shot them better....

l4Jr5odl.jpg

Some Liberia times.....

PB077712.JPG

wish those could have come home...

I heard something that trophy’s will be able to come home now... note that Ivory is not much use “green” and it needs to age.

Ivory is is hands down the best material on earth for pool cue ferrules. I never used it for embellishment, joints or butt caps although other cue makers do.

Anyway, sorry for the derail!