• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Got to fire the SilencerCo Maxim 9 this afternoon

txfireguy2003

Private
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
The wife and I participated in a local action pistol match this morning and one of the guys shooting works for Capitol Armory out of Austin, the number 1 SilencerCo dealer currently. He was running the Maxim 9, which he claimed was the only one in the wild to his knowledge as they haven't been released yet. When the match was over, he let several of us give it a try. It was a nice shooting gun with a fairly decent trigger, heavy, but that never has bothered me, so is any full size 9mm with a can attached. The muzzle heavy balance made it feel much like a rimfire in the recoil department, and the report was very much like a quiet rimfire or a high powered air rifle. Readily identifiable as gunfire, but if you were a cop on the street and somebody fired it 20 feet away, you would think they were a block or two away by the sound. Hits on steel were much louder than the shot. My wife shot it as well..... and now it looks like I may be dropping $1500+sales tax+$200 NFA tax soon...... she loved it too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report.

Any discernible gas or powder blow-back into your face or on your hands?

On SiCo's spam list for newsletters, they sent out an email maybe a month ago on this product and I've been waiting to read something about it. Looked like an interesting product, not exactly my taste or financial fancy, but still intriguing to at least see companies trying novel ideas.

Any info on the type of magazines it uses [proprietary vs commercially available] or what the system is built on / donor gun to any degree?

Haven't done any major research on it, but since we've got a Hider with trigger time, I figure it's worth the asking.

On SiCo's spam list for newsletters, they sent out an email maybe a month ago on this product and I've been waiting to read something about it. Looked like an interesting product, not exactly my taste or financial fancy, but still intriguing to at least see companies trying novel ideas.

Any info on the type of magazines it uses [proprietary vs commercially available] or what the system is built on / donor gun to any degree?

Haven't done any major research on it, but since we've got a Hider with trigger time, I figure it's worth the asking.
Takes Glock 17 mags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

My buddy just got his in a couple weeks ago and I have to say it’s pretty slick, I think the trigger is fairly shitty but nothing els compares to it that I’ve seen or shot when it comes to a suppressed pistol. If I was convinced there really would be a collaps of society scenario or whatever i would totally go for it but It wouldn’t get much practical use in my hands but it definitely a cool piece of gear that’s for sure.

Finally took mine to the range Friday to enjoy my observed holiday. Until then I had only fired it in into a trap in the shop.

My opinion,
The trigger is not that bad, it is a flat face and does build prior to the break but so do all striker fired triggers. Take up is not terrible and the reset is fairly short. The thing that got me was the first few times I pinched the hell out of my left thumb, I am used to holding with my support thumb resting next to the slide. The sights are off from the factory, it was printing left and after a look sure enough the rear sight was not centered. I shot it sxs with my FNX 45 Tactical with an Osprey and with 45 Octane, the Maxim 9 running 147's at 1050 is substantially louder. I didn't have good subs with me, I will try and do a video in the next couple weeks with subs. It was "hearing safe" to me even in the short configuration with 115's. The weapon does make a "ping" noise when it shoots, this noise can be replicated by tapping a empty mag on the front of the gun, I wonder if more baffles would help with this or even carbon build up might silence it a little. I can see myself really falling in love with this gun. I think that it has a lot of advantages and only a few shortcomings.

Advantages: standoff-this weapon will fire even if the muzzle is pushed into something, hearing safe (to me) in all configurations, comes factory with decent sights, is holster able, and in its short config is about the size as a G17 W/ threaded barrel.

Disadvantages: Mounting a WML would be comical and not practical in any way, I would prefer a slightly larger frame, Looks bulky and goofy, is slightly front heavy, and I will need to shoot it more to get used to the grip (it takes me a second to get on target).

(disclosure I shoot a stock glock trigger very well, even better than I shoot my ZEV's)