• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

PVA 26" 6.5x47L

G

Im starting a new thread instead of junking up the Bighorn TL3 thread.

Was over at PVA Sunday to pick up my 26" Bartlein 6.5x47L Bighorn TL3 DLC coated barreled action. Josh had my Jewel HVR already on the rifle and we dropped it into my XLR Evolution. I installed and timed my Rugged Suppressors 3 Port brake once I got back home. Measured distance to the lands with a bunch of bullets for my files to get that out of the way.

26" Bartlein M24 6.5x47L
Bighorn TL3
Receiver DLC / Bolt NP3
XLR Evolution Folding Chassis w/Tactical Buttstock
Jewel HVR Trigger 14oz
Rugged Suppressors 3 Port Brake
Vortex Razor GenII 4.5-27x56 EBR2-C MRAD w/Throwlever
Vortex PMR 34mm 1.26" Rings

Mfgezb4.jpg

nnk1Ni7.jpg

ZPV65Nw.jpg

On Monday I loaded up 20rd of 41.3g H4350 in virgin Lapua brass, CCI 450's and 130TMK's seated .002 off the lands just to function test the rifle and get a rough zero on the scope. I was very pleased with how well they shot for doing zero load development. This rifle is going to be a hammer!! I shot 5rd to get a rough zero then shot three groups of five.

6jTLDX2.jpg

I then shot a OCW with H4350 and 130 ELD'M's 0.01 off the lands. I couldnt be happier with the results.

DAhF1pJ.jpg

Today I loaded up a seating depth test with 40.8g H4350 and the 130 ELD-M's. Measurements are Base to Ogive. Ignore 2.109", the first shot sucked my pink dot right through the hole and the paper tore so I no longer had an aiming point. The 3rd shot was fired at the 2nd shot. Im sure that group would be in line with the others if that didnt happen. 2.115 is kissing the lands. 2.112 is roughly 0.003" off the lands and appears to be the sweet spot with that group. Im now going to load a bunch up test the accuracy.

Q1aDrS9.jpg

I shot another OCW today with H4350 and the 130 Golden Target's. They didnt shoot as well with as low SD's as the 130 ELD-M's and I started getting heavy bolt lift around 41.2g. These were 0.01 off the lands. Going to run a seating depth test to see how how much they shrink up but not worried as I will run these in my 6.5cm AR10.

k9ZjZxD.jpg

Next up Im going to test the 123L and see how they do. I may eventually test the 140ELD-M's but they already shoot lights out in my 260rem at 2855 which I wont get out of this case I suspect.

Rate now:
bulletpusher1XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.3/5 this site
734 posts this site
Re: PVA 26" 6.5x47L
Wednesday at 5:53 PM

Padom you plan on testing any 130 hybrids or vlds?

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.8/5 this site
3043 posts this site
Wednesday at 6:07 PM Last edited Wednesday at 6:07 PM by padom

130 Hybrids eventually . No VLD's

Rate now:
nfoleyXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.2/5 this site
1073 posts this site
Wednesday at 7:44 PM

I have essentially the same thing coming from PVA soon (waiting on DLC) - 6.5x47 26" on TL3.
I will be trying the 140 ELD-Ms, let you know how they do. Have a bunch of 130 VLDs which have always been excellent for me in 6.5x47.

Rate now:
734 posts this site
Wednesday at 7:59 PM

Josh is doing a x47 for me to,but I am going 28'' on mine.Nfoley I have always had the vlds shoot well in my x47 also.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3043 posts this site
Yesterday at 3:00 PM Last edited Yesterday at 3:18 PM by padom

Got a chance to test the 123 Scenars today and wow. They are just stupid accurate in this gun!! Group size agg across my entire OCW test was 0.300"!!! The largest group was 0.386", the smallest group was as close to one hole as it gets at 0.035" and all SD's were single digits. There were zero pressure signs, no heavy bolt. Primers are nice and round so I could keep going up if I wanted to.

Such a huge wide node too. This combo is amazing. Not sure a seating depth test will do anything with these groups. They were seated .005" off the lands. Gonna load up 41.7 and test it out.

g86LxBY.jpg

JAKelly1XGunny Sergeant
Rating: 3.4/5 this site
955 posts this site
Yesterday at 3:31 PM

That's impressive shooting, especially under mortar fire like that.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3043 posts this site
Yesterday at 3:32 PM

I belong to multiple ranges but the closest one has metal backstops so shrapnel city comes back through my paper. Pain in the ass.

Rate now:
734 posts this site
Yesterday at 7:17 PM

Padom keep it coming,i can't wait to get mine from PVA.I also have Dennis Adams doing a Tikkia build for my son in 6.5x47 that I plan on letting him shoot the 123gr scenars.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3043 posts this site
Yesterday at 7:21 PM Last edited Yesterday at 7:21 PM by padom

About to order a box each of 130 Hybrids, 130 VLD and 140 Hybrids to test. I have a ton of 139L but they are a pig.

Rate now:
phxfaXFirst Sergeant
Rating: 3.0/5 this site
1772 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:33 PM

Try Varget with the 123 Scenars,,,38.0 @.015 off
Same with 130 Hybrids

Rate now:
JAKelly1XGunny Sergeant
955 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:35 PM

I'm pretty sure I'd be done buying different bullets to test if the Scenars were shooting like that.
Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3043 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:48 PM

I gotta test the Bergers. Need to know if the higher BC bullets shoot anything like the 123L in this rifle.

Rate now:
padom
padom.jpg

XFirst Sergeant
3043 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:49 PM

phxfa wrote:

Try Varget with the 123 Scenars,,,38.0 @.015 off
Same with 130 Hybrids​
What kind of velocity are you seeing with this load?? Similar to my numbers with H4350?? Or higher?

Rate now:
JAKelly1XGunny Sergeant
955 posts this site
Yesterday at 9:53 PM

I'd give the 130 JLKs a whirl if you want a BC boost.

I went out today to get a good zero and it was freezing. In the 20's and a stiff wind in the face had my fingers frozen pretty quick. I shot a few fice shot groups to confirm accuracy with the 123L and 130ELDM loads, packed up and left. [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/K6PeAQv.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Berger 140 Hybrids and 130 Hunting VLD's showed up yesterday. Still waiting on some 130 AR Hybrids and 130 Target VLD's to arrive. Will load up an OCW with each bullet and see how they do and report back. Will also be doing an OCW test with 140 ELD-M while Im at it.

As Josh reported, Bighorn had some issues with one of their 3rd party NP3 applicators on a batch of bolt/bolt heads. I had about 100rd through mine when I noticed the NP3 flaking off the bolt head only, the bolt looks beautiful with no issues. Spoke to both Eric and Aaron over at Bighorn who were great, they sent me out a replacement bolt head that day with a prepaid shipping label to send the new one back. It came yesterday and swapped it out in 60sec. To be clear, this does not affect accuracy or safety what so ever. Thumbs up to Bighorn for doing it this way instead of continuing to ship actions to put money in their pocket and instead taking care of the customers that already bought actions that had this issue. Their bolt head inventory will catch back up shortly and all will be good in Bighorn land!

As a business owner myself, everybody has issue, especially when your outsourcing parts or other parts of your business, but your judged on how you handle those issues. Bighorn handled this one beautifully.

Last edited:
Ok, here is distance to the lands for all the bullets I measured so far. Should be the same for anyone that has Josh chamber a 6.5x47L with a TL3.

Berger
130 Hunting VLD - 2.767"
130 Target VLD - Waiting to arrive
130 AR Hybrid - Waiting to arrive
140 Hybrid - 2.793"

Hornady
130 ELD-M - 2.733"
140 ELD-M - 2.760"
140 Amax - 2.729"

Lapua
123 Scenar - 2.707"
139 Scenar - 2.707"

Norma
130 Golden Target - 2.732"

Sierra
130 TMK - 2.754"

I'm just waiting for you to get out in better weather and take the top spot on the Snipers Hide 100 yard challenge. :)

I'm just waiting for you to get out in better weather and take the top spot on the Snipers Hide 100 yard challenge. :)

Between the weather and my schedule I haven't had any time to shoot. Hopefully this upcoming week.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

As Josh reported, Bighorn had some issues with one of their 3rd party NP3 applicators on a batch of bolt/bolt heads. I had about 100rd through mine when I noticed the NP3 flaking off the bolt head only, the bolt looks beautiful with no issues. Spoke to both Eric and Aaron over at Bighorn who were great, they sent me out a replacement bolt head that day with a prepaid shipping label to send the new one back. It came yesterday and swapped it out in 60sec. To be clear, this does not affect accuracy or safety what so ever. Thumbs up to Bighorn for doing it this way instead of continuing to ship actions to put money in their pocket and instead taking care of the customers that already bought actions that had this issue. Their bolt head inventory will catch back up shortly and all will be good in Bighorn land!

As a business owner myself, everybody has issue, especially when your outsourcing parts or other parts of your business, but your judged on how you handle those issues. Bighorn handled this one beautifully.

So this is taking place of the TL3 thread? I planned on DLCing the action body and leaving the bolt NP3'd, though hopefully i don't run into any issues. Still have a month and a half or so before they ship out from PVA.

Has anyone gotten their bolt head replaced and had issues? I assume no, as its a floating bolt head. Just curious. 16700203_10211989240269333_1844384845_n.jpg

Last edited:
Got mine replaced and installed but havent shot it yet. What do you mean have issues?? What kind of issues? I cant think of any issues that could arrise from swapping the bolt head...

Ok, here is distance to the lands for all the bullets I measured so far. Should be the same for anyone that has Josh chamber a 6.5x47L with a TL3.

Berger
130 Hunting VLD - 2.767"
130 Target VLD - Waiting to arrive
130 AR Hybrid - Waiting to arrive
140 Hybrid - 2.793"

Hornady
130 ELD-M - 2.733"
140 ELD-M - 2.760"
140 Amax - 2.729"

Lapua
123 Scenar - 2.707"
139 Scenar - 2.707"

Norma
130 Golden Target - 2.732"

Sierra
130 TMK - 2.754"

Actually, this should be stated clearly:

The reamer used on this build is the .175 freebore reamer.
I have a .150, 175 and .200 (the 200 is too long for pretty much everything, it was an ill advised spec from a gunsmith several years ago.... should have measured it myself)
I also have a .120 and a 0.100 coming at some point but the 175 and 150 handle the bulk orders because almost everything works well in those freebores.

If someone doesn't spec a freebore or bullet used my default is a .175 so that it's flexible across a wide range of bullets.

Got mine replaced and installed but havent shot it yet. What do you mean have issues?? What kind of issues? I cant think of any issues that could arrise from swapping the bolt head...

Issues could arise if the company wasn't controlling their tolerance stack as tightly as Bighorn does. Their replacement bolt heads have all been within 5 tenths when I got them to check. We'll see what the next set comes in at but if it's anything like the 100+ TL2/3 receivers that came through my shop last year it would be hard to foresee issues.

While I understand what could happen, I was under the impression after talking to you and Aaron that Bighorns tolerances are very tight and there shouldnt be any issues when swapping bolt heads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to delete my account to clear out some weird issues but all is well. Rifle has been down for the last week because I had to send my Forster Ultra seating die back to them. From day 1 I was getting scratch marks on any and all bullets I seated just above the case neck and runout was 0.007-.009. Cases were checked before seating and there was virtually no runout so it was the seating die. Sent it back to Forster with some cases and bullets and it showed back up today with a note saying the seating stem was cracked. All is good now, time to get back to shooting. Loading up some ammo tonight to get out and shoot tomorrow.

Got out this week to shoot OCW tests with the Berver 130 Hunting VLD and 140 Hybrids. Made it back out today to shoot seating depth tests with those same bullets.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/gnbphbb.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Berger 130 Hunting VLD
CCI 450
2x Lapua Neck Sized only with 0.289 bushing = 0.001 Neck Tension
41.3g H4350

I selected 41.3g and per my OCW Velocity is 2864 SD5. I selected 41.3g because POI was the same for groups from 40.7 to 41.3 with the same vertical. I suspect that continues beyond 41.3g by the SD numbers but will confirm in the next few days buy shooting OCW at 41.5 and 41.7. I had zero pressure signs at 41.3g, no heavy bolt lift or primer flattening.

The VLD didnt like to be jammed and I had a bit of a sticky bolt shooting the jammed load. 0.002" seems to be the sweet spot

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jZDx5XF.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Berger 140 Hybrid H4350 OCW

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/HncFYYI.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Berger 140 Hybrid
CCI 450
2x Lapua Neck Sized only with 0.289 bushing = 0.001 Neck Tension
40.3g H4350

POI and vertical looks to be the same from 40.1 to 40.7. 41.1 had a bit of a sticky bolt. I went with 40.3g but could probably go up another 0.1 grain to be in the dead center of the node. Will play around with it to confirm. These shot well jammed and 0.005" off the lands. I am going with 0.005" off because even though jammed shot well I had a sticky bolt with that load. Velocity isnt bad at 2775 SD5.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/SkZDdrQ.jpg"}[/IMG2]

Thanks to bulletpusher for the 130 VLD and the 130 AR Hybrids which will be tested next along with the 140 ELDM

Last edited:
Liking the .005 off 140 hybrid,i went with the same barrel and freebore at 28''.Padom have you went back and shot some earlier loads to see if the barrel has spead up any?

Looks good. That action must cycle as smoothly as... something real smooth.
I have a TL2, cerakoted action and untreated bolt, and it's slick as snot.
Enjoy.

So work has been super busy the past few months, didnt do much shooting. Finally got some time to get back out and do some shooting. Decided to test Varget in this rifle and boy does it love it! I am down to my last two 8# jugs of H4350 with none in stock for about a year locally but a ton of 8# jugs of Varget just showed up on the shelves so I grabbed a few. Less powder per case, bughole accuracy and excellent velocity works for me. I will save the H4350 for other rifles.

Here is my 130 AR Hybrid / Varget OCW test. All testing was shot with the LabRadar at 100yds. I was very happy with the OCW results. I did get sticky bolt on charges 38.0g and above. 36.8 - 37.7 all had the same POI so I went with 37.1g. Pretty good velocity and low SD.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/szp6pRS.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I loaded up a seating depth test with 37.1g today. The first group (2.135" Ogive) is kissing the lands. Each group after that moves away from the lands roughly .003". As you can see this bullet is not picky, they all shot 0.5moa or less but kissing the lands and .01" off were the tightest.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/jDoN4cG.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I have a bunch of 139 Lapua Scenars so I wanted to test them out as well. While there are better bullet designs out now with better BC's the 139L's always have been extremely accurate in every 6.5 caliber rifle Ive owned (I have a few thousands sitting around so why not).

Tested them with Varget, CCI 450 primers and virgin Lapua brass shot with LabRadar at 100yds. These damn Scenars never let me down. Consistently low SD's across all the charge weights and tiny groups.

Probably do a seating depth test with 36.5g.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/dim8Vhm.jpg"}[/IMG2]

I was able to test out my 140 Hybrid / H4350 load at distance a few weeks ago. Shot really good. Confirmed dope and shot a 5 shot group at 300yds then banged a 6" round swinger at 650yds with boring consistency.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"http:\/\/i.imgur.com\/ugjwhjP.jpg"}[/IMG2]

To cool padon, your 140 hybrid load and mine match in both node and velocity 40.3-40.5, 26" 6.5L and PVA chamber here too.