• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shootig with bullets close to the lands

rimlickerjim

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2013
Hello , I have notices store bought ammo is shorter than recommended target shooters reloads . I will be shooting bergers and reloading close to the lands because it seems to get groups tighter .But how bad is the wear on your rifle ,compared to shorter rounds? I see it will burn up lands ? how badly ,and is it worth it :confused:

I shoot all my rifles with bullets close to lands. Some jammed slightly. It won't hurt your barrel at all. Go with what is most accurate.

I shoot a 300wm steyr ssg04 a1 , and a steyr 7mm classic . dont really wanna make their lives shorter . but my 300 is my target rifle and I wanna shoot bergers . I started with barnes ,but if you load close to the lands you have seating grooves that are exposed. I just read the loading close to the lands burns out the lands .it concearned me

don't worry about barrel life with regards to land distance...it's not an issue.

On the Berger bullets, depending on which ones you're using, you'll have to test what distance they like. VLD's for example are distance sensitive so loading x distance from the lands may not work well. Go to the Berger site and they indicate proper load development with the VLD bullet. Hybrids are less sensitive to land distance so going say, .020 out will probably work as well as .040 out.

Line and Designs | Berger Bullets

Last edited:
The "problem", with being close to the lands, is not "barrel life". It's more about "your life". You have to "develop loads", carefully, when you're "close to the lands". OVER PRESSURE IS THE "PROBLEM". Work up, slow, and watch for signs of over pressure. Ya need to get a guage. Pick a bullet, and measure to the ogive, when it "touches the lands". Back off app. 2 thousandths, and "carefully" work up your loads, at that length. Pushing a full load into the lands, can be FATAL to your gun, and "possibly", you. Just, me.Josh. Still ten fingers, and 2 eyes. 25 yrs, reloading.

remember pressure issues!! - Better yet ASK if you have no idea what I am talking about!!!

The "problem", with being close to the lands, is not "barrel life". It's more about "your life". You have to "develop loads", carefully, when you're "close to the lands". OVER PRESSURE IS THE "PROBLEM". Work up, slow, and watch for signs of over pressure. Ya need to get a guage. Pick a bullet, and measure to the ogive, when it "touches the lands". Back off app. 2 thousandths, and "carefully" work up your loads, at that length. Pushing a full load into the lands, can be FATAL to your gun, and "possibly", you. Just, me.Josh. Still ten fingers, and 2 eyes. 25 yrs, reloading.

That is why a lot of people advocate seating to the lands and finding max load then back off before proceeding with load development.

I agree with finding them with somethingl like a modified case and then backing the bullet off a little. Then figure out your best powder load. Then, adjust your seating depth.

This is "actually" the safer approach. "moving 2 thousandths", is "tough:ie Hard to do, if you don't do it carefully, and with the right gauges. When you "start at the lands", you may be "pushing the bullet into the lands", because of a "bad measurement". If your "max load", starts there, "backing off" any amount, will "help lower pressure". hdbiker1 is "more correct" than I am, given your "experience level". I've been "at this" a while, and always double check with 2 different Mic's, when I set up. Don't forget to check your die "sets" a lot, when you're loading. They CAN move! Loading to the "thousandths", is a whole different game, and can drive ya nuts! Get some really good gauges, and be careful. A good "little safety factor", isn't a bad idea. I've got some loads,at 2k off the lands and shoot "little holes", that are well below my Max load.
That is why a lot of people advocate seating to the lands and finding max load then back off before proceeding with load development.

thats why sites like this are a good thing , thanks , I will wait for the berger book . still having a hard time figuring out my land distance without buying a bunch of stuff. from what I did with a felt pen . I will start loading at 3.500 OAL in my 300wm seems like everyone elses is about 3.6plus .

I didn't want to start another thread I hope you don't mind me asking here ? What would be the minimum amount of bullet in the brass ? Pushing my bullets out to the lands I notice the bullet engagement in the brass is getting short. I worry feeding from a magazine bullet setback may happen?

Ok I checked my lands distance a few times and came up with 3.573 , if I started with 3.530 would this be a good start ? or should I start longer? because I am getting awfully close to maxing out my clip distance . this is for my target rifle. should I go more than .040 for my hunting rifle?