• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Ior trident

black max

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 2, 2012
    world wide
    I just bought a new ior 1.5-8x26 for my spr 5.56. What are your thought on putting one of these on a .264lbc for shots out to 1000 yds? Do you think 8x is enough? I appreciate any help I can get from this great knowledge base called snipershide!!!

8x would work, but you'll hear some guys say, "1x for every 100yds".

Basically what it comes down to is what you're comfortable with...

It's enough magnification for 1000 for sure as people shoot 1000 with iron sights. Comes down to if your round will make 1000 and the size of your target. You won't want to shoot 1/2 MOA sized targets but maybe Larues or full sized IPSC steel would be possible.

I just bought a new ior 1.5-8x26 for my spr 5.56. What are your thought on putting one of these on a .264lbc for shots out to 1000 yds? Do you think 8x is enough? I appreciate any help I can get from this great knowledge base called snipershide!!!

If you are just bombing away for the hell of it then 8x is fine but if you want to do anything constructive you will want 15-20x on the top end. People will talk about irons sights/6x and 10x optics in the military at that distance but really, those iron sights guys are using them because it is part of the rules for their competition and the military used 6x and 10x because those were quite literally the pinnacle of technology back then.

Comes down to if your round will make 1000 and the size of your target.

That is also why the guys can use irons as their target is about 6 foot square.

Is 8x enough? Yes depending on target size. Is it ideal for a long range precision rifle? No. I run 5-25x scopes and would recommend something up in the 20x top range but it all depends on what you are building the rifle for and target size. Too many variables that haven't been answered.

I am mainly building it for long range fun in the corn fields. It's a .264lbc but only has an 18" barrel so it may not even have enough ass to get there accurately. We will soon find out though. I was just looking in the optics for sale section and saw a couple good deals on the ss 5-20 HD. If I can scratch the funds I might go that route. I have heard nothing but good things about those scopes. Thanks again guys...