• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

‘I Wanted to Blow It’: Low-Income Mom Given $10K from D.C. Taxpayer-Funded Program Spends $6K on Vacation

She was a stay-at-home mom when her third child, Nazir, was born in summer 2022, making things work financially through a host of public benefits. Her two-bedroom apartment in Anacostia is subsidized, and with Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) as her only income, her rent payments are about $120 a month. Food stamps and WIC, a program that offers nutritional support for low-income mothers, offered another lifeline for Miller to provide for her infant and two older children, ages 5 and 8.

Somehow later, a "father" shows up for the vacation?
A required work program would stop most of this welfare fraud and abuse.

You could give every person in this country a million dollars and in time the ones that were poor before would be poor again. This country started its decline when they decided everyone needed to be equal instead of teaching people to be independent. It’s not the governments place to give out taxpayer dollars to those that didn’t earn it.

You could give every person in this country a million dollars and in time the ones that were poor before would be poor again. This country started its decline when they decided everyone needed to be equal instead of teaching people to be independent. It’s not the governments place to give out taxpayer dollars to those that didn’t earn it.
Yup. The founders specifically rejected the idea of the feds administering charity.

From the article (emphasis added) - "The D.C. government’s pilot program was issued in 2022 to offer more than 100 low-income mothers $10,800 to assess how cash payments with no strings attached could help a family in the future, the Washington Post reported February 1."

Well . . . do you suppose they figured out how " . . . cash payments with no strings attached . . . " would be used?

From the article (emphasis added) - "The D.C. government’s pilot program was issued in 2022 to offer more than 100 low-income mothers $10,800 to assess how cash payments with no strings attached could help a family in the future, the Washington Post reported February 1."

Well . . . do you suppose they figured out how " . . . cash payments with no strings attached . . . " would be used?

What a waste of $1million of the taxpayers money.

You can't fix stupid. Well, you can start by voting Dems out of office.

“Nobody is too poor to clean up their yards.” — PJ O’Rourke’s grandmother.

On the other hand… and hear me out. Poor trash goes on spendy vacation with her windfall. Sees a big wide cool world out there… an oyster that a job and work would open up to her.

It’s a longshot… but sometimes getting them out of their shitholes opens up a world of Possibilities… not Limitations. You know how many folks I met over the years from ghettos and Appalachia and reservations who have PhD’s and big houses because the army or the Boy Scouts jamboree or a school trip as a kid made an impression?

Doesn’t apply to everyone. But bet more than a few of you grew up shoveling shit in Buggtussle and now look at ya!

Just ‘sayin.

Sirhr

Somehow later, a "father" shows up for the vacation?
A required work program would stop most of this welfare fraud and abuse.

Required work?

OK.

I’ll add that if they don’t show up to work they get mandatory sterilization, and their existing kids get mandatory adopted out never to see their shitbag mother again until they reach 18.

Maybe it was the way I was raised (I'm 62, blue collar parents) but if you wanted something ,you worked to pay for it.
If you borrowed, you paid it back promptly.
If you couldn't afford it, you didn't buy it.
There was a time when filing bankruptcy was embarrassing , no more unfortunately .
There was a time when taking handouts was shameful and embarrassing, not any more.
There use to be pride in being self sufficient and providing for ones self and family, that's gone too.
I could go on but I'm sure many here get my point.

Hmmm, reminds me of all the "Covid stimulus money" rifle builds we saw posted here.....oops, did I say that out loud?
Ya, I could build a really nice rifle with the 1200 dollar check I received while they shut down the place I worked and told my tenants they didn't have to pay rent and told me I couldn't evict them. Yep, yep, those two things are exactly the same. 🤣🤣🤣

Maybe it was the way I was raised (I'm 62, blue collar parents) but if you wanted something ,you worked to pay for it.
If you borrowed, you paid it back promptly.
If you couldn't afford it, you didn't buy it.
There was a time when filing bankruptcy was embarrassing , no more unfortunately .
There was a time when taking handouts was shameful and embarrassing, not any more.
There use to be pride in being self sufficient and providing for ones self and family, that's gone too.
I could go on but I'm sure many here get my point.
There's a gal in town who drove her canary yellow H1 hummer to the courthouse to file for her third bankruptcy.

• Wow
Reactions: 375fan
So a possible down payment on a house . Interesting. Dollabills yall
#apartmentlife

Well that really chaps my ass. I just cut the biggest checks of my life to the IRS and the state.

Hunger and cold are proven motivators. If that doesn't work, the problem solves itself anyway.

The slowest zebra becomes food for the lions. The faster zebras pass on their genes to future generations and the herd is better off for it.

If able bodied adults can't support themselves, they're slow zebras. Let them die. It's for the greater good.

To be fare, if we removed all the illegals from welfare. And removed entitlements from former politians. What we are handing out would be drastically less.

It's interesting that being a stay at home Mom is an occupation choice for single parents. The system is broken and will anyone ever try to fix it? Or will the inevitable sound of squealing pigs be too overwhelming once the faucet is turned off?

As the extremely right wing, by todays standards, Democrat president once said. Welfare is not a way of life. It is ment to be a hand up, not a handout.

It's interesting that being a stay at home Mom is an occupation choice for single parents. The system is broken and will anyone ever try to fix it? Or will the inevitable sound of squealing pigs be too overwhelming once the faucet is turned off?

As the extremely right wing, by todays standards, Democrat president once said. Welfare is not a way of life. It is ment to be a hand up, not a handout.
Before Covid, there was legislation in the pipeline that anyone on food stamps with no disability or dependants would be required to be enrolled in school or work at least 20hr/week or lose their benefits.
Predictably the NY Times howled that 700,000 people would lose benefits.
We have almost a million people just laying around the house, doing nothing, collecting food stamps.

Before Covid, there was legislation in the pipeline that anyone on food stamps with no disability or dependants would be required to be enrolled in school or work at least 20hr/week or lose their benefits.
Predictably the NY Times howled that 700,000 people would lose benefits.
We have almost a million people just laying around the house, doing nothing, collecting food stamps.
Probably all vote Democrat too :mad:

So many thoughts-so many flags. I'll just add this before I show myself out of the Bear Pit. The subsidized housing for her, the 3 children, and potentially their baby daddy, in Washington DC nevertheless is only $120 a month? I'd have to believe most folks here spend that much on one good bottle of Scotch. I might have some strong opinions over the free/almost $11k but holy smokes that rent is unbelievable to me for DC or in America for that matter. And she also believes she's entitled to that government funding... Oh boy. Well, to be a 'glass half full' type of person, I'm sure that FL is most appreciative of the Washington DC tax payers reappropriating their money to their state.

Anything else I could add will likely get me banned, even here in the bear bit. I can't help but wonder though what would happen if those checks stop being written and what the reaction would be of the recipients.

-LD

I can't help but wonder though what would happen if those checks stop being written and what the reaction would be of the recipients.

-LD
At first many would riot. After a while some would get a job, others would get shot for thievery or other crimes. Some would starve.
But after a while the country would be in much better shape on several fronts.

Ask any criminal attorney or judge what percentage of sentencing reports they see where the defendant came from a stable, two parent home.

A lot of people only know how to destroy wealth instead of accumulating it. They are allergic to any kind of savings. Any excess must be destroyed as soon as possible.

A lot of people only know how to destroy wealth instead of accumulating it. They are allergic to any kind of savings. Any excess must be destroyed as soon as possible.
This.
Which other country on the planet has the major healthcare problem of the poor are conditions relating to obesity?

Reactions: gigamortis
At first many would riot. After a while some would get a job, others would get shot for thievery or other crimes. Some would starve.
But after a while the country would be in much better shape on several fronts.

Ask any criminal attorney or judge what percentage of sentencing reports they see where the defendant came from a stable, two parent home.
I don't intend to dispute your opinion sir as I reckon that'd be a fairly accurate representation of what would unfold. My concern though would be that we likely have millions of "countrymen" on the government dole at this point. Blame LBJ's "Great Society" if you'd like but at the end of the day we have a rather large class of people, likely in the millions, that exist from the government/our tax dollars (maybe?) providing some kind of funding. With regards to the OP's post, this is only one example of someone collecting almost $11K as an 'experiment' in Washington DC and there's now a whole news story about how that money was spent in Miami rather than locally. This is only one example of the literal millions of people that operate under this model and perhaps we're the "chumps" for not giving up and succumbing to the game. It aggravates me for sure but after calculating all of the government assistance that article mentioned and converting it to Net dollars rather than Gross dollars... well oh my... it makes me think I've been doing everything wrong personally but yet we still persevere and try to drive forward. I'll stand by my previous comment though- what would happen if the checks get stopped and there's millions of people impacted?

I reckon that would give even the Civil War/War of Northern Aggression (for our southerners) pause and trust me, that was a very/terrrible time with a cost never before or since seen on this continent. Of course that was over a 100 years ago at this point so most folks don't care anymore. I'm rambling anymore but good post and appreciate your commentary.

-LD

post 26: slow dumb zebras get eaten. (I paraphrase).

post 27: “to be fare”

goddamn hilarious.

1708921898836.png

Some people, especially those from *ahem*, certain demographic groups, BECOME and REMAIN low income because they keep making one stupid and careless lifestyle choice after another with absolutely no regards to the consequences and future fallout of their actions. No different than the idiots that blow through multimillion dollar lottery winnings in just a year and end up in the streets. You CANNOT help them. They get any kind of financial help, it is almost immediately blown on name brand fashion and clothing and useless "luxury goods" while their children continue getting by with junk food and 50 cent ramen cups from 7-Eleven.

Reactions: quietmike
I say good for her. Keeping herself down and those kids fed with government handouts. She's figured out a way to scam the system. Now, hopefully the system will see the problem.

I say good for her. Keeping herself down and those kids fed with government handouts. She's figured out a way to scam the system. Now, hopefully the system will see the problem.
The system see the problem? Not a fkng chance that'll happen.

What problem?

This is all part of the plan. They get to buy a lifetime of blue votes with other people's money.