• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

‘Would Have Gotten Us Killed:’ Soldiers Slam Microsoft Headsets After Disastrous Test

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

US Army Troops test Microsoft HoloLens

Alana Mastrangelo14 Oct 202228

Microsoft’s high-tech HoloLens headsets were recently tested by the U.S. Army, which found that they have significant flaws that soldiers say “would have gotten us killed,” according to reports.
More than 80 percent of the soldiers testing Microsoft’s headset — designed to give them a “heads-up display” similar to those used by fighter pilots — have reported feeling nauseous, getting headaches, or suffering eyestrain according to a U.S. Army report obtained by Bloomberg and Business Insider.
Microsoft’s Integrated Visual Augmentation System (IVAS), is supposed to let commanders project information onto a visor in front of a soldier’s face, and include features such as night vision.
“The devices would have gotten us killed,” one soldier said of Microsoft’s headset, referring to the light generated by the goggles when they’re active, which could alert the enemy to the soldier’s location on the battlefield.
Nickolas Guertin, director of Operation Test and Evaluation, concurred, saying the system is still experiencing too many failures of essential functions.
This comes after the Defense Department gave Microsoft a contract worth nearly $22 billion to build the devices for the U.S. military.
In a statement, Microsoft said “our close collaboration with the Army has enabled us to quickly build” and modify the device “to develop a transformational platform that will deliver enhanced soldier safety and effectiveness. We are moving forward with the production and delivery of the initial set” of devices.

Bloomberg reports that the test results will be assessed by lawmakers as they decide whether to $424.2 million the Army proposed to spend on the program this fiscal year.

Thanks for posting the content, I won't visit that shit-fuck site.

I do, however, have some perspective thru military-family. There has been tech like this for years, one of our family worked for a company selling similar tech to military and civilian agencies for several years after he retired from the Army. In the private/government (i.e. non-military) segment, it was used primarily for search and rescue. I can't speak about the military uses other than say it was "used overseas"..

MS comes up with decent stuff now and then, but most contracts are awarded based on political or financial benefits, not capability.

Reactions: Makarios031
Just what I would want heading into a hot LZ… a Microsoft Blue screen.

How about Bill Gates demo these in the Pesh Mountains and let us know how it goes.

Fuck Microsoft. And Google. And Twitter. And Amazon. And all these other retarded big tech companies that have no idea how to operate in the real world!

Sirhr

It appears that big time common sense rules were broken for it to get this far. Like not having it tested by experienced individuals in accurate and difficult scenarios with full and appropriate gear on. Then fix the problems. Keep doing that until it is mission capable without hindering the user. My bet is that they had a deadline to hit and decided to deliver what they had and went the route of making a bug list to work on for a second code and hardware release and shot out a poor version for this test.

Really to get that kind of T&E review is the worst possible outcome. Especially with it going public.

They have never used a M$ product before??

“Your E1 has performed a illegal error and will be shutdown” 😂

Its Microsoft, it fucks up, a lot

It appears that big time common sense rules were broken for it to get this far. Like not having it tested by experienced individuals in accurate and difficult scenarios with full and appropriate gear on. Then fix the problems. Keep doing that until it is mission capable without hindering the user. My bet is that they had a deadline to hit and decided to deliver what they had and went the route of making a bug list to work on for a second code and hardware release and shot out a poor version for this test.

Really to get that kind of T&E review is the worst possible outcome. Especially with it going public.

I'm sure they had their best Call of Duty warriors on the team. Maser comes to mind.

Hey!

If they can do it with an M-16 in Vietnam, why couldn't they do it with a pair of "goggles?

Reactions: MCSO1357
Love the use of masks as cushion for the chin strap.

Retard all around.

High tech yet advertising a willingness to promote fake religion.

Wouldn't be the first time crap gear was handed out and the troops were made to use it.
It's not the sons and daughters of the politicians or MIC that are sent into battle using the crap.

Reactions: Doc68
Wouldn't be the first time crap gear was handed out and the troops were made to use it.
It's not the sons and daughters of the politicians or MIC that are sent into battle using the crap.

But Beau Biden was killed in Iraq.... It must be true. The Potato said it!

Sirhr

As long as they don't have to keep running back from a single respawn point it will probably work ok. That's how the XBOX version works at least, not sure about these.

• Haha
Reactions: MCSO1357 and 6.5SH
as shitty as they are currently this might be a product that needs to be "field tested" with unlimited military dollars.

its 99% the way of the future combat zone

its all about data transmission etc. when they have over watch with live birds eye view or Xray and they send the pics to your screen so you can see behind walls etc

they arent stupid enough to put in combat so it will just look like a total waste of money, but when china has them up and running and our guys are getting smoked wed wish we did this...i hope

I worked on a program just like this right out of college. It was driven by "requirements" which had nothing to do with what the soldiers needed. When I pointed this out to program management and the US Army officers who managed it, and added in my own personal tactical experience, I got deer in the headlights looks. It was shit then and is shit now. 30 years of shit. Endless years of shit.

I also told the light Colonel who ran the overall procurement that they should just move the entire engineering team to a joint base and embed with the opfor and just develop stuff that the opfor team needed and would test. That would then give the Army tech it could use. Start with no preconceived notions. Just let the engineering team embed with the units and see what they do and then come up with ideas and try them. If its fix the radios, then they work on that.

Reactions: brianf

This is the old land warrior program from the mid-90s. Nothing ever changes. Back then it was QNX that would crash because the OS did not have the right micro code for the CPU. The managers don't realize that this is an R&D program. Put the engineers in the field with opfor and follow them around doing their missions.

Reactions: brianf