• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Good enough” Equipment

Smurph_

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Texas
I recently acquired a copy of Ryan Cleckner’s long range shooting handbook. I took my Remington 700 ADL .308 and put about $700 worth of glass, base and rings on it and bought some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I’ve been hunting and shooting since I was a small child, but I’ve never really stretched any of my guns out. I set up the rifle “properly” according to Cleckner’s book and put all my specs in a ballistic calculator on the Vortex website. I dialed to 10.5 minutes and put 3 rounds cold bore on a 10 inch plate at 500 for the first time in my life. All this to say, I’m making it work with equipment that is “good enough” and I couldn’t be happier.

When you close your eyes they all look the same.

But sometimes, the cheap one is desperate and the expensive one does not care. That’s why my most expensive and my least expensive hunting rifles both have a special place in my heart and an honored place in the gunsafe. Another one, that promised great dreams and was priced to do so, turned into a nightmare and is now somewhere else.

Live it up within your budget! They will all shoot at 500 well so enjoy the time and keep shooting

My first thousand yard rig was an SPS tactical I paid $569.00 for and with bipod, glass, rings, base and what not maybe a $1200.00 rig. With hand loads I could hold over and hit 1000 yards all day! Took a shot or 3 to walk it in on a calm day but I would get there. The more expensive guns and gear make it so you can pull your rifle out of the bag and get a first round impacts at 900 yards in 15mph winds. I wont lie the beginning is probably more fun, you are constantly making new personal bests, learning tons of information, and its all very exciting. Good luck on your journey sir!

The price of the equipment doesn't matter as much for its the operator is the one who hits the target. Is one better in quality as far as materials and workmanship of course no argument there what so ever.

Anything better than MOA is for bragging rights,and nothing more.

Come at me!

My wife just bought me Ryan Cleckner's book after seeing I looked at it online. I like the guy and his approach. It's refreshing when you start getting too wrapped up in the minutiae of the sport.

I love reading the how and why, but usually revert back to basic equipment that gets the job done. The minutia that can be involved in reloading takes the fun out of it.

Aside from paper punching, and banging steel a mile away,(the lunatic fringe stuff) there is literally no way to buy a current production bolt gun that isn't far more than adequate for all "practical" purposes.

Reactions: candyx
I recently acquired a copy of Ryan Cleckner’s long range shooting handbook. I took my Remington 700 ADL .308 and put about $700 worth of glass, base and rings on it and bought some Federal Gold Medal Match ammo. I’ve been hunting and shooting since I was a small child, but I’ve never really stretched any of my guns out. I set up the rifle “properly” according to Cleckner’s book and put all my specs in a ballistic calculator on the Vortex website. I dialed to 10.5 minutes and put 3 rounds cold bore on a 10 inch plate at 500 for the first time in my life. All this to say, I’m making it work with equipment that is “good enough” and I couldn’t be happier.
That's great man love to see people get out there and get started. If you decide to dive in deep there is plenty of time for that, but you are figuring out this isn't rocKit webbertry to get going. Have fun!

I started with a savage and a $600 scope.
I ran that for a good number of years before getting something expensive.

It gave me time to learn what my wants and priorities were so when I started spending more serious $$$ I wasn’t wasting any on bad decisions.

A guy in Texas changed the course of history with a rifle that cost $19.95 with a $7.00 scope made in Japan, you don't need a fat wallet to hit a target.......

Good on you, get your bipod dirty and have fun…
My longest serving bolt gun is a R700 308, now on its third barrel and third scope.
I smack steel at 1K with it every Sunday I can make it to the range.
E1638767-B576-43D3-BB35-A44E8F8890B4.jpeg

It has been a long, strange trip, lol.