• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing “Missed Connections” Afield

Anb618

In Valor, there is Hope.
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2017
Anyone else just having one of those years in the field? I just can’t seem to connect with the buck I’ve been targeting. I’ve seen him at a distance a few times now, but can’t get him inside bow range. I decided a Craigslist “Missed Connections” style message would be appropriate. Join me in commiserating our loneliness if your season has been as frustrating as mine.

Today was my third sighting of you; you haven’t noticed me. The wind only gave me two location options, and I chose poorly if I ever want to hold you in my arms. I thought, being a 60° day, that you would travel past the water hole I was sitting 35 feet away from. Instead, you walked within 3 yards of my ground blind, 90 yards away. Why must you tempt me? I’d love to meet. If you see this; Same place, same time, tomorrow.
- Longing for you, The Loneliest Sportsman.

Photo through iPhone/Potato at 90 yards
Yellow Arrow is deer.
Red Arrow is the top of my ground blind.
C4D13F1D-09D0-4530-A801-CCA0E5895327.jpeg

At worst, gun season starts Friday. 😁

Reactions: jrassy
YES.

Some years are great, others not so much. It is hunting. I am having a very bad luck year - however last year was great, so I guess it evens out. No biggie, keep hunting.

I too missed a (I'm fortunate to have several) target buck because I had to go into work. Sat on a Saturday and Sunday morning, and he came under my stand to refresh the scrape on Monday morning (#1). He has since moved to another part of our property where I have no stands.
20231017_170518.jpg

I missed another target buck because he went to a different stand of mine than the one I was in on another Sunday morning. That buck is now over at my neighbor friends, chasing all of his does. Maybe he'll make it back for the late season.
20230904_121353.jpg

*** I will update with photos later ***

This past Saturday, I sat for all of 45 minutes in the morning. Got a nagging little dry cough and called it quits at 0731 fearing that I had blown my stand. Nope. At 0735, just four minutes after I left I had 3 does and 2 fawns come in. An hour after that, a decent 10 that I would have been happy to have burned my last tag on stopped and hung out 20 yards from where I was just sitting. To add insult to injury, as I left and crossed another field on my way out - buck #1 from above walked out at 200 yards and just stared at me. He literally let me walk 125 yards without moving (I was quartering away).
20231112_155437.jpg

20231112_155446.jpg

For further injury. My (now) asshole neighbor that was going to let us do something with their land (they own 110 acres that splits our 700). Decided to let some guy hunt on it. Said guy, brought a fuck ton of friends over too. They set up stands all along the fences of our property and have effectively shut down two of my stands...I have maybe 2 does crossing every 24 hours now. To make matters worse, they've brought in all the hogs with their tons of corn that they've thrown everywhere. It just isn't my year. :D

Last edited: