• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“New” Remington 700 showing up in your ao, or just retreads?

Amanda4461

Loves Dobermans!
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Asheboro, North Carolina
Stopped by my LGS to look at what they told me was a new Remmy 700 short action rifle. They had three in stock. All were look-alikes with an RAR prefix serial number. The counter guy had never heard about the Alpha models, the change to a bolt release on the action body, or any other changes.
I saw what appeared to be an old-style SPS in the same old cheap Hoagie Sammich plastic stock, cheap troublesome Remington trigger with the bolt release ahead of the trigger pack. The lame attempt at Jeweling a blackened bolt was sad. The action was slick, if poorly finished. For $575, it would have done for a .223 action, since new SA receivers are unobtainable. The barrels were not marked 5-R.
I assume that the new company bought all the extra parts stock from Remington, and is putting as many basic ADL models out as they can, until the Alpha models are in production.
I was going to order a Varmint from Midway, until I saw these ugly ducklings.
Anybody seen an Alpha in the wild?

From what i understand judging by their website and the few articles that came out last fall, WRT the traditional 700, it will still be made, same specs, just more attention to QA/QC and machining so anticipating a better product. These new 700s made since the new owner under RemArms have the prefix RAR from what i've seen.

WRT the Alpha 1, that is a completely separate rifle from the traditional 700 and will cost more, i saw one one gunbroker recently for $1700 i think.

Reactions: Amanda4461