• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

“Remastered” Leica geovid r vs vortex fury 10x42

Keokuk

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2023
Maryland
Hello all,

First post so hopefully I’m doing this right. I’m looking for a set of do all binos, wanting a ranging function, wanting to be around 1k-1.5k, and warranty is important to me so no “life time warranty but 2 year electronics warranty”. This has landed me on the new gen geovid r and the fury’s.

These will be a bino first and rangefinder second, I’m dabbling in casual long range shooting, hunting, and wanting to get started in prs matches.

I am assuming the Leica will have better optical quality but no AB, in my mind I can use a dope card to meet my needs so AB is not required but just nice to have. My question is 1, how do these stack up optical quality wise, and 2 is the AB in the furys a good enough feature to choose them over the Leicas? Also, are either of them good enough glass wise to watch trace in something like a prs match. I have to travel to get hands on with either so I’m trying to narrow it down as much as I can before I go to a store to look.

Thanks everyone

Chase
Northern Maryland

If you want a bino first and rangefinder second, buy binoculars and then get a cheap LRF to use. You could get a damn nice set of binos (You can get lightly used EL's for $1500) but those BLRF's are both poor choices for binoculars first. Otherwise double your budget or more to get good binoculars and LRF in the same unit.

I just sent the brand new pair of 2022 Geovid R's back to the dealer for factory defects and there's guys in the thread on rokslide with the some of the same issues mine had. There was a chip in the lens on the left barrel as well as debris inside that you could see through the objective. There's another guy that also has debris in his brand new Geovid R's that he's sending back for repair. The glass quality in the middle of the image is very good, it's even good for $1400 binos with no LRF, but once you get out of the center it falls apart fast. My estimate from counting chain link fence sections at 90 degrees 400 yards away and doing some math came up with roughly 60%+ FOV that's usuable before it gets super blurry on the edges to the point it's unusable. The fire button on mine also didnt activate about 20% of the time to wake the unit up or to fire the laser. I sent back a pair of Leica UVHD+ binos on the same trip that were also defective out of the box, so Leica's QC is obviously not very good.

The Furys AB's have great ballistics and a LRF but the glass quality is just not there and you're paying $1500 for chinese binoculars.

If you're in Northern MD I would highly suggest making the trip to Euro Optic where you can put literally every model BLRF in your hand and check out the glass quality and LRF performance of all of them. Then compare to similar priced binos and make the decision for yourself how much you're willing to sacrifice and what. You can also thoroughly inspect whatever you buy for defects to eliminate that headache.

If you want a bino first and rangefinder second, buy binoculars and then get a cheap LRF to use. You could get a damn nice set of binos (You can get lightly used EL's for $1500) but those BLRF's are both poor choices for binoculars first. Otherwise double your budget or more to get good binoculars and LRF in the same unit.

I just sent the brand new pair of 2022 Geovid R's back to the dealer for factory defects and there's guys in the thread on rokslide with the some of the same issues mine had. There was a chip in the lens on the left barrel as well as debris inside that you could see through the objective. There's another guy that also has debris in his brand new Geovid R's that he's sending back for repair. The glass quality in the middle of the image is very good, it's even good for $1400 binos with no LRF, but once you get out of the center it falls apart fast. My estimate from counting chain link fence sections at 90 degrees 400 yards away and doing some math came up with roughly 60%+ FOV that's usuable before it gets super blurry on the edges to the point it's unusable. The fire button on mine also didnt activate about 20% of the time to wake the unit up or to fire the laser. I sent back a pair of Leica UVHD+ binos on the same trip that were also defective out of the box, so Leica's QC is obviously not very good.

The Furys AB's have great ballistics and a LRF but the glass quality is just not there and you're paying $1500 for chinese binoculars.

If you're in Northern MD I would highly suggest making the trip to Euro Optic where you can put literally every model BLRF in your hand and check out the glass quality and LRF performance of all of them. Then compare to similar priced binos and make the decision for yourself how much you're willing to sacrifice and what. You can also thoroughly inspect whatever you buy for defects to eliminate that headache.
Wow, I really expected the “handmade by 80 people over 9 man hours in Europe” blah blah blah to result in better qc, that’s really disappointing. Qc aside if I’m able to hold the pair I’m buying, would you recommend them? Good enough to see trace to 1000+/- yards?

Thanks for the tip on euro optics, I looked around md/ southern pa and didn’t see many options, little did I know one of the biggest distributors is less than 3 hours away lol.