• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 0, 20, or 30 MOA base?

Spicerack

Misanthropic Ginger
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2013
Green Bay, WI
This is more of a ‘where do I go from here?’ question from a guy who would like to start into an ELR-ish game.

Weapon: R700 Sendero 7mmRM, old school: non fluted 26in blued barrel, OE HS Precision stock, slightly massaged trigger, Duracoated matte black, barrel re-crowned and threaded with SiCo Brake for Omega. Shoots pretty good with mild reloads at 61.6gr Reloader 22 under 162gr AMAX. Last three shots (I know only 3 shots, but I ran out of ammo) went into .17in. This is with el cheapo Burris rings and a Bushy Scopechief 3-9x that came with the rifle when I bought it used 15yrs ago. Normally, and before the crown work, it was with random fliers a 5/8in - 3/4in shooter; I think the crown work took care of the fliers.

I got in on the GAP deal for the Bushy LRHSi pre-order and would like to put on a base and rings, and I’m thinking of just ordering base and rings from GAP when they call ready to deliver the scope. But I don’t know what base to go with: 0, 20, 30 MOA. I have used this for range time and collected a bunch of whitetails with the gun, but would like to stretch it out some day maybe to 1000yds. The range that is easily accessible and close to me only goes to ~600 so I need to hunt for some property where I can get past that so it might not be used long range all that much.

So what does the collective say for recommendations on base and rings for this Sendero rig with the LRHSi?

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

Aaron, you'll be fine out to 1000 yards with a 0 MOA base and the LRHS. The LRHS has 24 mils of elevation adjustment, let's say you land perfect when mounting the scope right in the middle, that means you'll have 12 mil of adjustment, but nothing is ever perfect so let's say you only get 10 mils of adjustment, check your ballistics but I'd imagine with the muzzle velocity you're getting from the 162 Amax's (I'm guessing close to 3000fps?) 10 mils of adjustment will get you well past 1000 yards (over 1200 yards based on my ballistic calc). That being said, if you feel you would like the extra wiggle room then a 20 moa base will get you an extra 6 mils (or close to) of travel.

What wjm308 said. If you have something less elevation, go with 20moa. He only reason I go with 20moa base or rail is for “just in case” I need to reach out over 1000 yd or shooting with some sub sonic load.

find total amount of MOA for the scope being used, then cut that in half ( example 45 total= 22.5 moa )

Now add the amount of MOA you think you'll need to serve your purpose. ( example 22.5 plus 30= 52.5 ) well the 30 want work for its to much and will cause you to bottom out the turret. ( hint not good for a scope )

I'm not the best at telling one how things work so I hope this was helpfull

20 will get you in a really comfortable place, without having the scope bound up in order to get a 100 yd zero.
I run 20moa on most everything, and I can get out past 1K with it easily.

Thanks everyone; 20 MOA base it is then.
Now, on to ring decision. I was very happy with how my DMRII went on a Tikka T3X CTR with Vortex PMR lows. But that took forever to order the scope, wait for delivery, mock it up with a stack of coins under it, measure and measure and measure again, then order rings, wait for delivery, then FINALLY get it mounted. Is there a better, faster way? I would love to order everything all from GAP when the LRHSi is ready for delivery and have everything shipped at once, but not sure that would work out as perfectly as the slow method.

Semper Fidelis,
Aaron

When I started hunting, I found it easy with a rangefinder to dial in trajectory compensation out to 400 yards.
I built a lot of rifles, bought a lot of scopes, and shot a lot of long range targets.
I could keep them in the 12" kill zone out to 400 yards, but it took a hot rodded heavywieht 7mmRemMag to reach 500 yards.
I keep building, practicing and killing. I am 10 years later able to keep it in the kill zone at 600 yards, and have killed a deer at 629 and 650 yards.
Based on a 200 yard zero it is not possible for me to make shots with more than 8 moa additional elevation compensation.
But if you have a forward observer, you can walk in the hits at 20 miles with artillery... and they have 2700 moa compensation through a split gear.