• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

0 MOA or 20 MOA Ring(s)

WilliamH4

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2021
Indiana
I just ordered and received a Tango4 4-16X44 for my Tread 716i (7.62). I had an ACOG 3.5X mounted, but wanted more magnification. I'll be ordering optics for my RPR .300 PRC within a couple of months and thought this would be a good way to get some exposure and practice using a scope. I'm new to optics, I want to be sure I understand what I've been reading. I won't be using the Tread for "precision" shooting but would still like to be able to reach out a few hundred yards (500-700 maybe). I read something online suggesting 0 MOA ring(s) should be used for 0-500 yards and 20 MOA for 500-1000 yards. Well, I want to shoot out to somewhere in between. If I mount optics using the 0 MOA ring(s), won't I only need to holdover if I want to reach out beyond the adjustments of the scope? Holdover is preferred to holdunder, correct?

That model optic appears to have a total amount of internal travel of 90 MOA, split that and if you were able to zero at optical center you'd have 45 MOA of elevation to use. However, that rarely happens, you'll always eat up some elevation when zeroing with a 0 MOA mount so realistically we'll say you'll have in the neighborhood of 30-35 MOA depending on the ammunition, velocity, etc.. Still not bad and it gives you plenty to dial out to your indicated desired target ranges. Dropping the scope in a 20 MOA mount will add 20 MOA on top of that 30-35 and give you some extra wiggle room, which is never a bad thing, and let you dial for elevation basically well into the transonic range of the rifle.

All things being equal, I'd opt for the 20 MOA mount so that I can be sure I can just dial elevation for whatever distance I need to shoot at.

Last edited:
That rifle comes with a 30 MOA base. Going off Trigger's number of 90 moa you should have around 75 moa of up elevation when mounted so that is enough to get you to 1000+ pretty easy in that caliber. Get a good set of rings and do not add any moa in the rings.

Oops I thought RPR was in discussion. If the AR then get an AR mount with 20 MOA in it.

Reactions: WilliamH4
I'll revise my previous statement. OP, if you're only looking to use this mount and optic on the Sig Tread, go with the 20 MOA mount. If you're planning to use the mount and optic on both rifles, go with the 0 MOA mount, it'll cause less headaches on the RPR but still allow you to do what you want to do with the Tread.

Reactions: Rob01
I'll only use it on the Sig (rings and optics). I plan on purchasing something with more magnification for the RPR.

I'll only use it on the Sig. I appreciate the responses.
Then a 20 MOA AR mount would be my choice but even with a 0 you should be able to do what you want.

20 MOA is a lot of incline for a basic AR rifle with a mid magnification scope. Not that you will go wrong, but I would not go out of my way to look for a 20 MOA mount. Either that or 0 MOA will be fine.

Reactions: WilliamH4
I am not a fan of MOA rings... I like standard rings, with my MOA improvements on my rail (base).

I would go Seekins Precision rings, and an EGW HD 20 MOA base. That's what I run on pretty much every bolt-action setup I have.