• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear 0 vs 20 MOA Cant and Height to Use on Scope Mount for Tikka Tac A1 ??

WillieFlo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2012
Houston
Fellow shooters, I have a Tikka Tac A1 I'm beginning to build, and am curious about scope mounts I'm considering right now. The two brands being considered are the Badger Ordnance Condition One unimount or the Spuhr mount for a 34mm scope tube. I believe the rifle's rail has 0 cant to it as is. The scope to be mounted on it will be a Primary Arms Platinum FFP 6-30x56 Apollo with the 6.5 CR ACSS reticle. I plan on using this rifle for long range target plinking, varmint hunting at night with a thermal clip-on, as well as deer hunting in South Texas.

I have a 20 MOA cant mount on my DT SRS A1 in 338 LM, and I've never run out of elevation adjustability with my NF scope on it.
Not looking for a QD mount, since I don't plan on changing out scope to anything else. May mount a mini red dot on the ring, for close range quick shots.

What I am curious of is, if I go with a 20 MOA cant on the scope mount:
1. What height/MOA cant combo of mount should I utilize for the 56mm objective with Butler Creek cap, that will align properly when I put a thermal clip-on in front of it?
2. Do I need to stick with a 0 MOA cant, utilizing a higher or lower scope mount at 38mm(1.5") or 44mm(1.73"), to work with the thermal?

Input appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Anyone have any guidance?
Do I need to choose a thermal clip-on, before I choose my scope mount height/cant? I'm planning on getting the Trijicon IR Hunter MK II 35MM Thermal Scope to use as a clip-on. Looks like it sits pretty low, so I'll be using an adapter to raise it up off the rail.

Last edited:
Depends on the height of your thermal for cowitness but even if it's slightly mis aligned, you should be fine.
1.5" will give you proper clearance on a continuous rail. 20MOA is what I would run but 0 isn't going to hurt anything either.
Fwiw, I use a 1.5" 20 MOA mount for my clip on NV and have zero issues.

Reactions: WillieFlo
Depends on the height of your thermal for cowitness but even if it's slightly mis aligned, you should be fine.
1.5" will give you proper clearance on a continuous rail. 20MOA is what I would run but 0 isn't going to hurt anything either.
Fwiw, I use a 1.5" 20 MOA mount for my clip on NV and have zero issues.
Thanks srt-4_uk! I appreciate the input. That aligns with what I found by doing some more research just now. I found some great info on the Spuhr website as well on this page..... How to Choose Your Mount Backs up your findings. Thanks again!