• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.001 thick shims

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
Where can I find .001" thick shims for 5/8x24 muzzle brake timing? I know they come with surefire muzzle brakes so I know they exist. I'm not looking for kits with all the other brakes, just want to buy a bunch of the .001" shims. McMaster has them but have an OD of 1", looking for smaller ones to fit under brakes.

Reactions: Aftermath
I have been trying to solve your dilemma......lot's of 0.001" 5/ 8 shims......but, as you say, the O.D. is 1"!
Good luck. Update when you find a solution.

Brownells sell a shim kit with both diameters but I don’t know what’s in the kits

You'll have to find the size you need and what material you want.

^^Brownells and others do not have 0.001" shims in any kit. Smallest Surefire shim in sets is 0.003".

I’m not at the shop now to measure, but I’m almost positive they come with some .001” shims.

There are punch sets you can get to make the id and od whatever size you want out of shim stock, but it doesn’t look like it leaves a clean edge. Looks like it rolls the edge.

Look at the McMast site, but check out the metric sizes. If I remember correctly, that's how I timed my brake, but my barrel was .875 diameter.

They didn't have that size shim, but I believe they had 22mm or something like that.

Magnet strong enough to hold the washer, and give you a good grip so you don’t rub your fingertips raw. 100x sandpaper and elbow grease. My brake was sitting at 7-8 oclock, and needed roughly .003 to get it timed.

Reactions: 308pirate
I timed a brake using paper, then trimmed away the excess. It hasn't worked loose and so far no baffle strikes. It is on a gun that will never get hot enough to toast the paper.