• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 03 A3 thread specs and tolerances

1SMALLJOHNSON

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2007
Tallahassee, FLORIDA
I'm threading a barrel to fit the square thread 03 A3 pattern. Mocked up some SS stock and cut one, just to ensure that I wouldn't bugger up a good barrel. Seems I've got it right, both in the cutter form (true square) and width. I'm running my "max" barrel thread height at 1.045", and my "max" barrel thread root at 0.998, and my unthreaded portion (pre-thread) at 0.100 long by 0.999" max diameter. Of course, it's a 10 TPI.

Here's the question: when working a square thread cut, when "tweaking it in" to the individual action, how do the pro's "tweak"? As the barrel sits in the lathe right now, it's too tight on the action (good). When I dykem the barrel, I don't seem to be getting good witness marks. Generally, everything gets "touched". I guess that could mean that "everything" is too big. But, if it were you, how would you know to concentrate on either the tops or the roots of the thread form? (bearing in mind that my cutter has been "proofed" as correct, against cerosafe cast of the action thread form)

Re: 03 A3 thread specs and tolerances

What I have says, barrel shank is 1.040"x10 square threads per inch, .940" dia. to the thread root, shank is .734" long.

I bought short chambers from CMP.

What are you making?

303- Thanks on that. I'll mock up another one and see how it fits. Sounds like I'm trying to make everything too tight. Blasphemy, but I'm making a couple of sporters. Actions are trued up, and that was a neat learning experience. Now for chambering! Thanks for the help.

A bit of advice. Everything has its natural resting place. Give it enough room so it can find that place. Things generally work out better that way.

Dave- I think I'm with you. I want to torque up against that shoulder, and not have competing forces acting upon that joint, right?

303- I took my max thread diameter down to 1.040", and plunged my roots to 0.990". While the action didn't glide on like a class 3 fit, it did choke right up against that shoulder as pretty as could be.

Thanks for all the help you guys... I'm just a back-yard gun plumber, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1SMALLJOHNSON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dave- I think I'm with you. I want to torque up against that shoulder, and not have competing forces acting upon that joint, right?

Thanks for all the help you guys... I'm just a back-yard gun plumber, and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. </div></div>

You're correct. Of all the different interfaces the shoulder lock up is by far the most important.