• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

03A4 scope base

packratt

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2005
VA
Would the Redfield Jr base Brownells sells be right for use with a Weaver 330 or Lyman Alaskan?

The bases I saw on fleabay are going for 3 or 4 times retail.

Also what rings?

There have been several generations of Redfield Jr scope bases made over the years for the Model 1903-A3 / A4. Each generation will differ in a number of ways, including location and type of markings, angle and shape of beveled edges, type of polish and finish, country of manufacture, and even the material. Early JR mounts were made in the USA, milled from high quality steel, properly hardened, and typically had crisper / sharper edges than later ones. Current production mounts are made overseas of cast sintered metal alloy, have rounded edges, and are much lower quality than previous generations. While new bases may "work", only you can decide if they are "right" since that depends entirely on your intended purpose and your pocketbook. For obvious reasons, earlier production bases sell for a large premium over the newer ones.

As for rings, you will need 3/4" rings for the Weaver 330 / M73B1 type of scope and 7/8" rings for the Lyman Alaskan / M81 / M82 scope. Reproduction 3/4" rings for the Weaver are readily available while originals are much harder to find. Original rings for the Lyman are more common than for the Weaver, but no one that I know of is currently making repro 7/8" rings (although rumors of them come and go periodically).

Last edited:
I can understand the price difference now. It's an actual quality and appearance difference, not just people charging a premium for the same thing in an old box.