• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes .04ish floating dot and old eyes

PAYDIRT

Adair County Long Guns
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2017
N.E. Okla.
Looking at options for a new 22 scope, is the .04ish floating dot as hard to see as it looks? I haven't got to look through anything in person, just looking at pics on the internet.

My eyes aren’t young but I happen to prefer a floating dot reticle. However, as you may know reticle preferences are a very personal thing and some people prefer a more traditional crosshair style center reticle.

Oh yeah, I shoot with my glasses on, so that may be a factor to consider too.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAYDIRT
I'm not old and have good eyes, I like the .04 dot in my 3-15 PST but do think it could be bigger. The EBR7c is sized about right in the 5-25 but I find on 15x and below its a little on the small side.
Its not usually an issue but I do find on low contrast targets the dot seems to disappear.

I have the floating-dot EBR-7C reticle in a Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56 and a Viper PST 5-25x50, as well as in a ZCO 5-27x56 MPCT2. I only have one scope left with a "non-dot" reticle and it hasn't been out of the safe but once in over a year and a half.

I have old, cataract-surgeried, somewhat floater-obscured eyes. Adjust the diopter correctly and the dot is crisp and clear. At lower magnification, the dot and reticle subtensions just all merge together into a very fine crosshair. Of course, reticle preference is entirely subjective, but I don't think "age of eyes" would matter wrt floating dot. If vision is impaired badly enough, other reticles would likely be tougher to use as well....

Reactions: PAYDIRT and lash
I like the small dot like I have in my MR4 reticle. It’s great for shooting tiny groups during load testing and at small targets. That said, when I have to back off the power to find closer targets or spot shots I all but can’t find it. Sadly this scope doesn’t have daylight illumination. If it did that might make things easier.

I had a Cronus BTR with the APRS floating cross reticle and it was not quite as nice to shoot tiny groups with, but it is much easier to find the floating cross when on the clock. That and it has great daylight illumination if needed. I’m seriously thinking of getting another one.

I have 57 YO eyes and do wear glasses if that helps any.

This is at 20x for a Razor AMG.

IMG_20200806_180043.jpg

This is Ares ETR at 15x

1597862012898.png

Get a Burris XTR III with like a SCR2 Mil

If he thinks the dot is too small I don’t think he’ll like a SCR 2 reticle. Those lines are really fine and the reticle isn’t illuminated.

I like the looks of that reticle, but I’m really worried I won’t be able to use it well with my eyes. If I was 20 years younger I bet I’d love it.

I like the small dot like I have in my MR4 reticle. It’s great for shooting tiny groups during load testing and at small targets. That said, when I have to back off the power to find closer targets or spot shots I all but can’t find it. Sadly this scope doesn’t have daylight illumination. If it did that might make things easier.

I had a Cronus BTR with the APRS floating cross reticle and it was not quite as nice to shoot tiny groups with, but it is much easier to find the floating cross when on the clock. That and it has great daylight illumination if needed. I’m seriously thinking of getting another one.

I have 57 YO eyes and do wear glasses if that helps any.
Lol
Shooting great groups is easy with the APLR as far as I’m concerned.

Lol
Shooting great groups is easy with the APLR as far as I’m concerned.

I didn’t say it was hard, I just think it’s a little easier with the dot. But at 10-15 power that floating cross is way faster and easier to find IMO. Had I not used both I would never believed anyone telling me that.