• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 1,000 yards..... I did it and I'm hooked!!!

Tengo1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A little over a year ago I bought my first precision rifle, a FN SPR A3G, which I introduced to the hide, here

The range I shoot at is a pretty standard 300 yards range, it has range marks at 50, 100, 200, and then a big berm at 300. Over the last year I have dont most of my shooting at 100 and 200 yards for groups on paper, trying to better my control and and abilities with my .308. I have had quite a bit BVAC .308 ammo in both 168 Amax, and 168 SMK stored up that I have purchased at Vegas gun shows over the last couple years. For those of you that have not heard of BVAC, you have probably heard of HSM ammo, of which BVAC broke off from. Its good ammo, probably not Federal Gold Medal Match great, but good.

Something I didnt even know, or notice the first 7 or 8 times I went to the local range where I shoot, is that it actually has a 1,000 yard range right next to it. Its kind of work in progress range, with dirt berms out at 400, 500, 600 gets skipped for some reason, 700, 800, and then at 1,000 yards there is a large long berm clear out in the desert that you wouldnt really notice is part of the range unless someone pointed it out. In fact I never took notice of the farther targets until one day while sitting at my bench, shooting at 100 yards, I couldn't help but notice a guy laying prone at the very end of the cement shooting a DPMS LR308. First thing I noticed is he wasn't even laying straight, but aiming at about 11'clock off thru the brush and cedar trees. I asked him what the heck he was shooting at and he pointed out that there are steel plates at 700 thru 1,000 yards. A quick scan thru my scope confirmed it, out at the 1,000 yard berm is a single rectangle steel plate, which I later measured at 12 inches wide, 15 inches tall.

I didn't attempt a shot at it that day, but a week later me and my buddy headed out to the range to make our first attempts at 1,000 yards. First thing I realized when we where loading our rifles on the bench, is that I didn't have any idea how many clicks I would need to adjust my Mil scope to aim that far. I knew from reading on snipershide that MOA scopes take somewhere around 40 MOA to get there I think, but Mil I had no idea. I knew it was alot, so to start of, I just turned my Leupold M5 Mil turret one full rotation. Took aim at the berm (wasnt even trying for the plate yet) and fired. Luckly, my shooting buddy saw the dirt kick up at about 750 yards. Rather than adjust clicks, I just raised my scope and used the TMR's hash marks to aim, fired again, BOOM!! dirt kicked up at about 900 yards. So I raised up agian, so I was at the second to bottom hash in my scope, BOOM!! Splash down on the birm. So I finally aim at the plate, using my bottom hash marks as my aiming point and fired. Dirt kicked up about 2 feet high, 2 feet to the left. I walked it in with 3 more rounds, and on the 8th round, TINK!! you could hear the distant smack of the bullet on steel. I quickly looked back thru my scope and could see the plate violently swinging from its chains! I stood up and gave a quick fist pump. I was stoked!!! Yes, it took me 8 shots, but I just shot a target from 1,000 yards!! We had to go out immediatley and take a picture.
securedownload1.jpg

Yes, I barely hit it, but I hit it. And let me tell you, once you've done it once, you'll be hooked. I went home and told my little brother, who lives down the street in the same college housing, he of course, threw up an immediate BS flag. So, a couple of days later I took him out to the range with me. I still hadn't figured out my MILs, so just like before I turned the knob one full rotation and aimed with the lowest hash mark thru my scope. Took aim, and Boom!!! followed by TINK!!! I hit that sucker first shot, My brother about shit himself looking thru his binos. He tried to hit it with the remaining 9 rounds I had with me but couldn't hit it. The one nice thing about the berm is its very soft dirt, so 9 out of 10 shots that hit the berm you can see where it hits every time.

After a couple more outings taking my buddys out to shoot at it, I finally decided to figure out my MILs, so I can actually aim at it with the center of my reticle. A bunch of shots and knob turning later, I figured it out, its 9.9 MILs, aiming dead center of the plate.

So once I got my mils down, I went out and gave the plate a fresh coat of white paint, which I do every time I go out there because apparently alot of local guys both shoot at, and hit the plate. I loaded up five rounds of my 168 grain Amax BVAC ammo, and decided to attempt a 5 shot group on the steel. With my scope on 20X I can see most of the bullet strikes on the steel plate because they always leave a grey spot that constrasts with the white paint, even looking thru the heat mirage. As you can see below, my first three shots where pretty good, and close. My 4th shot I watched the dirt kick up right next to the plate, I missed by probably less than 3 inches, and after a small adjustment for the miss off to the right side, my 5th shot hit on the left side of the plate.
IMG_0425count.jpg

I am in no way claiming to now be a proficient at 1,000 yards. Far from it, I've probably shot a good 40-50 rounds at 1,000 yards now and have probably >20 hits. But boy it is fun. Especially since a .308 is so slow I can usually fire off the round, and regain my sight picture to watch it hit myself. I also know I need to get away from the 168's, which is all I have had. I just ordered some 155 lapaus, and 175 SMK's from Southwest this last week and am very excited to try them out soon. One thing to mention, I have read alot on here about 168's not being stable at 1,000 yards. But at least at about 5,500 feet here in southern Utah they do fine. In fact its kind of neat, but there is a little, perfectly round "nipple" where each of the Amax's hit the steel plate. You can run your finger over it and it actually protrudes outward rather than inward. I dont know if this is from the Amax's plastic tip collapsing or what. You can see it a little better below.
IMG_0425zoom.jpg

This would leave me to beleive the Amax's aren't wobbling at all, but hitting straight ahead, tip first.

Re: 1,000 yards..... I did it and I'm hooked!!!

your addiction is just beginning, believe me... next you'll go 1200, 1600, the mile, etc...

If you don't reload, then try using 175gn Fed Gold Match ammo... tell us how that works out. Or maybe you're getting 175 SMK from Southwest ammo ... that should be pretty close to Fed GMM2.

The 175's I just got are from southwest ammunition. I'm excited to see how they do and how much difference there will be in drop/ mil adjustment

get some ballistic software and take the guesswork out... I found 175 SMKs resist windage more than 168s and so I use these for anything past 500 yards when the wind is kicking.

"...so just like before I turned the knob one full rotation and aimed with the lowest hash mark thru my scope. Took aim, and Boom!!! followed by TINK!!!...A bunch of shots and knob turning later, I figured it out, its 9.9 MILs.."

Your turret and reticle are both in mils so it's easy to work out.

You dialed 5 mils (one rev), and held five mils on the reticle. 10 mils, or 9.9.

That's the beauty of having the reticle and turret speaking the same language. you can add/subtract your holdoffs to your dialed erector values, and get the precise erector corrections. This assumes FFP reticle, or having the power setting to the correct value with a SFP reticle.

Congrats and welcome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Your turret and reticle are both in mils so it's easy to work out.

You dialed 5 mils (one rev), and held five mils on the reticle. 10 mils, or 9.9.

That's the beauty of having the reticle and turret speaking the same language. you can add/subtract your holdoffs to your dialed erector values, and get the precise erector corrections. This assumes FFP reticle, or having the power setting to the correct value with a SFP reticle.

</div></div>

Yes, I'm embarrassed to say... But I realized AFTER I used up about an entire box of ammo that all I had to do was count the mils I was using on my scope. It is FFP, so I should have know it, but it was so simple it I didn't even think about it.

very nice shooting

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joediesel81</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice shooting. I use 178gr amax at 1,000 yards </div></div>

That's the round I want to use as soon as I start reloading.

That's awesome!!
The farthest I've shot is 800 Yards.

Keep it up man.

Congrats, welcome to the club. It is addicting and very satisfying. Next you'll be pushing your 308win to the limit, and looking for a higher BC caliber with less drop to go even further. After that it's gets worst.

Nice write up and Congratulations! You are will on your way to the poor house now
grin.gif

I think you'll really like those 175s from SW Ammo. I never have tried the 155 Scenars but do know that they need to be driven pretty fast to have any advantage over the 175 SMK.

Great shot! I'm getting started in long range shooting. I am currently using the 168 SMK but im shooting less than 250 yds and im also limited on the bullet weight due to the barrel.

Keep up the good work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SVG308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think you'll really like those 175s from SW Ammo. I never have tried the 155 Scenars but do know that they need to be driven pretty fast to have any advantage over the 175 SMK. </div></div>

I noticed this myself. Tengo, if you haven't gone that route yet, stick with the 175 and 178's. I've done a lot of 1000yd shooting and did quite a bit from 308 when it was all I had and my simple 175 SMK or VLD load with Varget under it was always the most accurate load I had. Most guys will agree with this but others will say the 155's are better but you really have to push them and I still never saw any advantage when I did. I remember my first time shooting 1000yds, it was all over from there. I was hooked. Keep up the good work man practice definitely makes perfect!

So I finally got a chance to get out to the range since getting my Southwest 175's and 155's and guess what..... SOME JACKASS TOOK DOWN THE 1,000 PLATE!! I was so pissed. The steel plate at 400 was gone to, I couldn't believe it. I drove out and looked all over, since it looked like the metal bar holding it up was shot down. But no chain, no anything. I hope someone is just fixing them or something and didn't take it to just enjoy for themselves, alot of guys got alot of enjoyment out of those things. Looks like I need to order myself some steel plates

Just started shooting long range this year very addicting. now Im looking into loading my own to find that perfect round.

Nice shooting and welcome to the 1000 yard club. There's nothing like that one second or so between the shot and the bullet impact the target......addictive.

Also, I shoot southwest ammunition 175gr with lapua brass and you won't find better anmo anywhere else except from Brian Litz.

Congrats! and, welcome to the 1000yd club.

It's going to suck because your budget is about to explode with a bunch of other stuff to make your shooting experience better.

In all truth and honesty, GOOD FOR YOU!

Over the last few years, I take guys out to the 1000yd range and, every time except one, they've bought a quality 1000yd rifle after that and they come to the garage to learn how to load for it. But, in the case where the guy didn't buy the rifle, it's only been a few weeks.

My only issue is that a couple of them don't know how to load their own yet.... My garage time is limited and whatnot.

Tengo. We're you shooting at the cedar city range?

Just started in the long range with my .308. Been hitting the steel at 1k for the last three trips out. Even hit a Target at 1600 yards. Using 175smk from south west. Even using my hand loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chuff Ness</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tengo. We're you shooting at the cedar city range?

</div></div>

Just at the rifle range. If you look out to the left of the 300 yard berm across the rifle range, there's berms and targets out in the brush all the way out to 1,000. If you shoot from the benches, you will be shooting at an angle, so the berms are actually a little farther. With a laser range finder we ranged the 400 yard berm at 415 yards and the 700 berm at 727.

I'm new to this forum and am not sure where to post my question.

I am looking for the ballistics for a 300 win mag using 180 grain rounds at ranges from 300 to 1500 yards.

Can you help out with this or send me to the right place?

I'm new to this forum and am not sure where to post my question.

I am looking for the ballistics for a 300 win mag using 180 grain rounds at ranges from 300 to 1500 yards.

Can you help out with this or send me to the right place?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cyborsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm new to this forum and am not sure where to post my question.

Can you help out with this or send me to the right place? </div></div>

If you want to shoot a 300wm at those kind of ranges you need to be shooting 208gr Hornady AMAX, 210 Berger VLDs or some other hi coeffieient bullets. With the right combo, you can get there, however.

its like a drug ! now for the other benefit is the walk to the target ,it keeps the heart working well before seeing the target ...so you can walk off the oh craps if you messed up ! thxs to gene entinkin

Just purchased an FNAR chambered in 7.62X51mm. Called the factory to verify that I would not have any issues using 308 win. ammo. I was told no problem with 308 win. but keep below 170gr bullets because of the 1 in 12 twist. I had tried a box of Federal Match 7.62X51 in 175gr.(before I called)and they did not perform as well as the 168gr win.Match. The problem could be my 20" barrel.

1200yds.jpg

Did this with a VLS 308 at 1200 with 168 A-max 45gr Varget Lapua brass 210m primmers. Ran out of elevation so I held over. 8 hits out of 13. Not impressive by any means but the bullets got there just fine.

Just working through the forum enough to get to this...may be my favorite post yet.

Thanks for sharing! I haven't attempted anything approaching 1000yds yet (typically shoot out to 300 and have attempted 600 but that's it) but am certainly inspired by your post.

Hopefully I'll get a chance over the winter to start backing it up a bit.

Cheers!

That must be fun shooting out so far. I wish there was a 1000 yard range in CA near me. Maybe one day!

Congrats!!! You've inspired me to push my limits a bit! I've shot no where near 1k. I'll settle in at 600 for a while, and then "waste" ammo trying to collect data for 1k hits.
smile.gif

Thanks for the write up. I could feel your enthusiasm through your writing!

-G45

Welcome to the addiction. Shooting steel will hook you...

Update: I got a picture of the range off of google earth. According to Google, from the 3rd bench (where I shoot from) to the berm it is 1,003 yards.
cedarrange.jpg

Pretty cool. Nothing is more fun than just shooting targets, whatever they may be steel, 2L bottles, etc. It's a fun change from paper. I wish I had that kind of range.

The A-Max is underrated. Nice work! This is also my favorite post in recent years ( I can't recall before that!)