• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1/10 Mil click adjustments assistance.

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
From what I understand, a Mil is 3.6'' at 100 yards. My Bushnell Elite Tactical 4200 is registed to do .1Mil click adjustments, so does that mean at 100 yards, if I need to move over 3.6'' to the left, I turn my scope 10 times to the right?

Ive got it sighted in at 150 yards, but I never knew how to do the fine adjustments, I just would shoot, click a couple times, shoot, move as needed. Is my above comment correct? If so it would make sighting in and adjust quickly much easier.

Re: 1/10 Mil click adjustments assistance.

ummmm.... ok, your scope should have full mils marked, so you'd just move to the full mils, not count the clicks, but you're essentially right... also if you need to move left, the scope should tell you "bullet impact" left or right on the knob

Set the scope at the true mildot power setting , say your hitting 1.5 mils right = dial left 1.5 mils ( that's why you buy the mil - mil scope in the first place )

One mil is simply a 1 to 1000 measurement angle. So one mil represent 1/1000 of the distance you are to your target. So if you are 100 yards from your target, then 1 mil = 0.1 yards = 3.6 inches. And 0.6 mil is 0.36 inches at the same distance.

If your scope is in 1/10 mil clicks (and for some odd reason doesn't have full mils marked) then you take the miss in inches and divide by 0.36 to get how many clicks you need to adjust. If you have a mildot reticle, then you can just see how many mils you are off by through the scope and adjust accordingly (10 clicks per each mildto you're off by).

the beauty of this is that if you shoot at the target holding on the center and then look at the impact again holding center, you can count the mils using the mildots. if its 1.5 mils right and one mil high, you move the knobs 1.5 mils, usally 15 clicks and 1 mil, or 10 clicks. dont worry about the 3.6" at 100y since you are at 150y for some reason. and once you get it zeroed, reset the turrets. start gathering dope too

One thing I notced though we was shooting yesterday at about 250 yards give or take and my scope was hitting around 6-7 inches to the left. So, I turn my scope to the right 12 clicks just to see how closer it would get me.

In return, it put me 4-5 inches past my intended hit marker on the right side of it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing I notced though we was shooting yesterday at about 250 yards give or take and my scope was hitting around 6-7 inches to the left. So, I turn my scope to the right 12 clicks just to see how closer it would get me.

In return, it put me 4-5 inches past my intended hit marker on the right side of it?

</div></div>

Because the value of the "clicks" is directly proportional to the range you're shooting at. If you double the range, you double the "click" value, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CleanMoostang</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
bush4200-5.jpg

This is my scope knobs for reference. </div></div>

Um...those are 1/4 MOA per click knobs, so now I'm confused.

ok... quick lesson...

1 Milradian is = to

3.6" at 100yds
7.2" at 200yds
10.8" at 300yds
14.4" at 400yds
18" at 500yds
21.6" at 600yds
25.2" at 700yds
28.8" at 800yds
32.4" at 900yds
36" at 1000yds

devide those figures by .1 to know what your scope will move at a given distance, or take .36 x yardage factor of 1:100 to know.. for example .36 x 2.5(250yds) = .09... you scope will move the bullet impact .09" at 250yds for each .1 Mil adjustment

also understand that the up/down...L/R on your turrets are referring to bullet impact, so if you're shooting left and need to move the bullet right, you'll adjust "R"

Awesome, thanks for that grid to go by. I will be practicing that hopefully this weekend to get it down, and as for the adjustments, I learnt the hard way. Took me a whole box of 308 to realize that when I am hitting left, I want my bullet impact to move right, and when I turned right, it moves me to the left.

The guys here at work didn't let me live it down for a week or so...

1. Mil = 1 Mil

@ 833 yards 1 Mil on the reticle = 1 Mil adjustment on the turrets

@ 250 yards, 1 Mil on the reticle = 1 Mil adjustment on the turrets

@ 100 yards, 1 Mil on the reticle = 1 Mil adjustment on the turrets

You have a calibrated ruler right in front of you, that matches your adjustments on your scope, it is best to use ti and not try to convert anything.

See it in the scope, adjust it with the turrets, it's that simple. Measure with the ruler and remember from the center of the crosshair to the center of the dots, or center dot to center dot is .1 mils, or 10... this helps you break that ruler into finer points. Halfway is .5, to the edge of the dot is .9 mils, the dot itself it .2, etc.

Who cares what the inches are... I don't even think it about and couldn't tell you without taking off my shoes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Mil = 1 Mil

You have a calibrated ruler right in front of you, that matches your adjustments on your scope, it is best to use ti and not try to convert anything.

See it in the scope, adjust it with the turrets, it's that simple. Measure with the ruler and remember from the center of the crosshair to the center of the dots, or center dot to center dot is .1 mils, or 10... this helps you break that ruler into finer points. Halfway is .5, to the end of the dot is .9 mils, the dot itself it .2, etc.

Who cares what the inches are... I don't even think it about and couldn't tell you without taking off my shoes. </div></div>

Thanks LowLight, I was hoping to see you hop in this thread. As usual you and the other guys also have given me great advice/info to use in the field.

Care to elaborate on my scope knobs a little? Theres hash marks from 0 - 1 - 2 - 3 and so on. Is each of the adjustments, .1 mil?

it should be bigger numbered hash marks.. w/ 9 smaller ones in between, the big numbered ones are full Mils, the smaller ones are .1 mil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it should be bigger numbered hash marks.. w/ 9 smaller ones in between, the big numbered ones are full Mils, the smaller ones are .1 mil
</div></div>

Yeah thats what I was trying to say.
So its -0- .1 through .8 .9 (1mildot) .1 .2 and repeating up to .8.9 (2mildot).

Thanks again guys. Time to start shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">milradian... not mildot... mildots are simply the DOTS on the reticle that correspond to 1 milradian </div></div>

Gotcha, not only have I learnt to count today, Ive learnt proper pronunciation. Before long, I'll be worth something!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
devide those figures by .1 to know what your scope will move at a given distance, or take .36 x yardage factor of 1:100 to know.. for example .36 x 2.5(250yds) = .09... you scope will move the bullet impact .09" at 250yds for each .1 Mil adjustment
</div></div>
I believe this math is backwards, one .1 milrad click should be moving impact .72" at 200yd.

Cleanmoostang-
You want to get more familiar with using mil dot reticles? go here:

http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

and like it says :

The Demos
It is highly recommended to first review the reticle ranging classroom which explains the mil and moa reticles used and how to range with a reticle.
Then choose either the MOA turret adjustment with mil or moa reticles demo or the MIL turret adjustment with mil reticles demo.

Be sure to read the short instructions on the introduction screen for information about how to use the controls before you enter the range.

Comments retracted. misinformation

You don't even need to think in cm or mm. Just use your reticle and think in mils.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think best way to work with mils is stop thinking inches altogether. cm and mm only! Not I shot 4 inches left, but oh I shot 13 centimeters right.

I think you're confusing yourself trying to convert mils to inches</div></div>

you understand mils even less than the rest of us....Mils are NOT metric

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1. Mil = 1 Mil

See it in the scope, adjust it with the turrets, it's that simple. Measure with the ruler and remember from the center of the crosshair to the center of the dots, or center dot to center dot is .1 mils, or 10... this helps you break that ruler into finer points. Halfway is .5, to the edge of the dot is .9 mils, the dot itself it .2, etc.

Who cares what the inches are... I don't even think it about and couldn't tell you without taking off my shoes. </div></div>

What he said.

For example, if I see my miss and I am off low by .5 mil, then I either hold up or dial up .5 mil. Easy peasy.

(Height x 1000)/mils seen in scope = range
(1 yard x 1000)/2 mils = 500 yards
(1 foot x 1000)/5 mils = 200 feet
(2 meters x 1000)/4 mils = 500 meters

Metric and imperial measurements work the same with mil/mil scopes. As long as you know your target size or have a good estimate you should be able to get close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: force_multiplier</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think best way to work with mils is stop thinking inches altogether. cm and mm only! Not I shot 4 inches left, but oh I shot 13 centimeters right.

I think you're confusing yourself trying to convert mils to inches</div></div>

you understand mils even less than the rest of us....Mils are NOT metric </div></div>

you're right. I don't know why I keep thinking that. I need to get that off my head.

A little over a year ago I was trying to learn this stuff too. It finally sank in. It'll be second nature before long.

On a side note, I can't believe the 4200 mil/mil FFP is now $850. I paid $620 a couple of years ago, and I thought I'd read they were being blown out cheap to make way for the new Elite Tactical (same thing but with white numbers and better illum).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snakum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A little over a year ago I was trying to learn this stuff too. It finally sank in. It'll be second nature before long.

On a side note, I can't believe the 4200 mil/mil FFP is now $850. I paid $620 a couple of years ago, and I thought I'd read they were being blown out cheap to make way for the new Elite Tactical (same thing but with white numbers and better illum). </div></div>

SWFA has them still for 899 I think. If you follow my link above MidwayUSA has 1 more left. I got mine for 599 about 3 months ago or so. I love it to be what a lot of people consider cheap tactical compared to Zeiss/NF/Leup/US Opt.