• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-10 or 3.3-18 for shorty 308

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Ive got a 16" tikka 308 in a krg bravo with enclosed forend... and currently have a Burris XTR3 3.3-18 on backorder and starting to second guess it while I wait.

I can get the Eotech 1-10 for just a little more and have 8oz lighter glass.

Ill be using the rifle for hunting shots 0-200/250 and target shooting to 500, with the options to go out to 1000, but with a 16" 308 and a slow tikka barrel, Im wrapping this rifle up as a really good 500 yard and in rig with the capability to hit further, if I dont have my 24" 223 or 24" 6.5

What say the hide? Stick with the burris, or swap it out for the Vudu

I bought my dad a new Delta Stryker 1-6. He put it on a 20 inch 223. I went to the farm yesterday to help him mount it and sight it in.

3 shots and we were zeroed. We were shooting plinking ammo. He then hit 8 inch gongs 200 yards, 300 yards and 400 yards. 400 took 2 shots, the rest one.

Morale of the story, if you just wanna hit stuff, not tiny targets and the weight means something to you the Eotech will do great.

Only slight proviso is low light hunting situations.

I bought my dad a new Delta Stryker 1-6. He put it on a 20 inch 223. I went to the farm yesterday to help him mount it and sight it in.

3 shots and we were zeroed. We were shooting plinking ammo. He then hit 8 inch gongs 200 yards, 300 yards and 400 yards. 400 took 2 shots, the rest one.

Morale of the story, if you just wanna hit stuff, not tiny targets and the weight means something to you the Eotech will do great.

Only slight proviso is low light hunting situations.
    Im thinking it would be good, since this isnt a precision rifle to me, as long as I can see and hit big game, it'd be good.

I didnt think about the light being less on the smaller objective, but would probably still be ok.

Ive got 2 of the XTR3's ordered, might just grab the 5-25 and 1-10 vudu instead.

1-10 gets my vote...keeping it lightweight(ish)!
    Just got back from a bucket list trip to Africa, took a fix in 308 and a swaro 1-6, did not wish for more.
    Sounds awesome.
    I sent an email to cancel the phillipine XTR's.

Ordering a 1-10 vudu for the 308 and Ill look in the PX for a non illuminated XTR3 for my 6.5 tikka tac a1

Ive got a 16" tikka 308 in a krg bravo with enclosed forend... and currently have a Burris XTR3 3.3-18 on backorder and starting to second guess it while I wait.

Ill be using the rifle for hunting shots 0-200/250 and target shooting to 500, with the options to go out to 1000, but with a 16" 308 and a slow tikka barrel, Im wrapping this rifle up as a really good 500 yard and in rig with the capability to hit further, if I dont have my 24" 223 or 24" 6.5

Burris XTR3 3.3-18

That depends on whether you are going to encounter low light and how far you might be shooting in that low light. Think of it this way: in low light, with an LPVO, you'll be dialing down to 4x or so. Will that be sufficient? If yes, stick with the LPVO.

ILya

I was at the other end of the road, had an nxs 1-8 on backorder. Found a 4-16×42 & haven't looked back.

Best of Luck,
    Keith

Reactions: xsn10s
    Not sure about the reticle in the Burris for hunting, but that would be my deciding factor. Otherwise the 3-18 would sure make things easier if you ever do push out to 1000.

Saying that, I love my 16” 308 scout rifle with a Sig Romeo 5. Definitely the most handy rifle I own.

Last edited:
    I was really wanting to go for a 1-10 for my cross for hunting, but read enough about the problems I might encounter in low light situations I decided against it. I really like my nxs 2.5-10x42 and it is able to shoot steel easy enough out to 1,000yds. BUT if your looking shoot tiny groups on paper this is not the best option.

Why not something like the Athlon Helios BTR Gen2 2-12x42? Mine arrived today and it's quite nice. I originally purchased for load development on my 5.56 and 300 blackout but it'll make a sweet hunting scope for my Sig Cross. I currently have a Cronus BTR2 on it which is a pretty big scope. I have a Meopta 3-18 on my 308 gas gun and it's quite nice but again, large. The 2-12 seems to be a nice sweet spot and with a 42mm front element, it'll gather more light than an LVPO.

I have a 3.3-18x50 model. Glass is good, but my first one failed on top an 8# 300 norma improved. The replacement has a elevation turret that's not near the quality the original was. I have the newest mil tree reticle and it's not that usable for hold overs till you get to 8x. The eyebox is generous, parallax isn't sensitive either. Quality control has been a lil hit and miss. My scope now resides on a 257 saum as it generates a lot less recoil, no issues with it other than mushy elevation turret. The capped windage is nice too. Personally I think the glass is nicer than an nx8 or leupold mk5hd. It'd be nice for an moa reticle w/ floating dot and bit heavier stadia for use on lower power.

Reactions: Earnhardt
    I was really wanting to go for a 1-10 for my cross for hunting, but read enough about the problems I might encounter in low light situations I decided against it. I really like my nxs 2.5-10x42 and it is able to shoot steel easy enough out to 1,000yds. BUT if your looking shoot tiny groups on paper this is not the best option.
    This is what I spent most of last night reading up on also.

I checked out the new bushnell series this morning and may just go that route then, Ive got 2 rifles needing glass and wanted to get the same scopes for both, but different mag. The more ive read on burris, the more I just prefer to stay away.

May pick up a DMR for my 308 and a XRS for the 6.5.
    The dmr has good mag range for the 308, only con is it is on the heavy side.

Ill just do more push ups.

I have a dmr that I use to to test rifles. The mag range is nice, the glass is good and the tracking has been 100%. It's a large heavy scope though.

Helos 2-12 has an awesome reticle for hunting. Big and bold and the illumination is more than bright enough. .03mil thick reticles are pretty thin for hunting on low power.

I run a Bushy 3-12 on my tikka hunting rifle.
    Its awesome.
    50 yd off hand shot isnt an issue

450 yds with 10 min of legal light?
    DRT

Also, easy to run them to range (1000) but the .5 wind holds can get you a bit as you get out there.
    Prolly just Need more practice, but time is tough to find.

My go to hunting rifle is old tech. Winchester Featherweight 30-06 22" barrel in 30-06. 2.5-8X32 VariXIII with Premier Reticle Mildot. With decent quality glass I don't have issues shooting both eyes open at 3X, I've even done it with 9X magnification when my eyes were younger. I had straight tube variable scopes and found their low light gathering lacking. The new scopes might be much better. With my 30-06 and my handloads I've hit targets from 10 yards out to 800 yards. It's my 0-500 yard rifle and when I work up some 200 plus grain loads I may stretch the hunting limit to 700 yards.

My go to hunting rifle is old tech. Winchester Featherweight 30-06 22" barrel in 30-06. 2.5-8X32 VariXIII with Premier Reticle Mildot. With decent quality glass I don't have issues shooting both eyes open at 3X, I've even done it with 9X magnification when my eyes were younger. I had straight tube variable scopes and found their low light gathering lacking. The new scopes might be much better. With my 30-06 and my handloads I've hit targets from 10 yards out to 800 yards. It's my 0-500 yard rifle and when I work up some 200 plus grain loads I may stretch the hunting limit to 700 yards.
    Im going to end up with something similar before too long, probably a ruger american predator cut to 16-18" and a lightweight scope more for hunting and just use it as a 100% dedicated woods gun.
    I can make due with the tikka for now, but chassis gun isnt the best choice for a deer rifle.

Im going to end up with something similar before too long, probably a ruger american predator cut to 16-18" and a lightweight scope more for hunting and just use it as a 100% dedicated woods gun.
    I can make due with the tikka for now, but chassis gun isnt the best choice for a deer rifle.
    No it's not the best set up for hunting. But there isn't any law saying you can't make it work. This year my 22-250 is at my friend's house to get rebarreled at his leisure. He's doing me a favor so I'm out a varmint rifle. I used my PSS 308 win for rat hunting. I shot them from around 15 ft to 240 yards with handloaded 168 ELDM's. Not ideal but fun when I could shoot on open blm lands.

Second guessing the XRS3, as Ill never really use anywhere close to the 36x mag on that scope.

may just order two of the DMR3's... 21x max power is plenty for 1000.

Second guessing the XRS3, as Ill never really use anywhere close to the 36x mag on that scope.

may just order two of the DMR3's... 21x max power is plenty for 1000.
    I would say so. I shoot out to 1100-1200 yards with a fixed 10X. I was trying out farther but I think I'm destabilizing around the 1300 to 1500 yards area. It depends on the conditions at the time.

I would say so. I shoot out to 1100-1200 yards with a fixed 10X. I was trying out farther but I think I'm destabilizing around the 1300 to 1500 yards area. It depends on the conditions at the time.
    Yah, ordered 2 of the dmr3’s.
    I only wish they had the 56mm objective but they’ll be fine