• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1:12 twist .308 bullet selection

VAN1LLA G0R1LLA

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2011
Ok so I have a 20" 1:12 twist .308 barrel and I want to work up some good loads I was wondering what grn bullet would stabilize best and be best suited for this set-up
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

Re: 1:12 twist .308 bullet selection

110's through 190's, but that’s not saying you can't run heavier. It is just what I have been feeding my 5 308's, all but one of which have 1-12t and the other is a 1-11.27"

My R700 20" Tactical shoots 175's and 180 SMK's unbelievable well in all-weather using Varget for fuel.

If your looking for match grade i would give the 155&178 Amax and the 175 SMK a try. I've also had good results with Nosler Custom Competition 155&175 grainers which are a bit cheaper then the Sierras.

My SPS T with 20" 1 in 12 shoots SMK 168's great out to 500. If going longer then SMK 175's. I haven't tried anything heavier but I would think 180 or 185 HPBT would work. Haven't tried the 155's either, didn't think I could get them going fast enough in the 20 incher.

In the 175gr. size bullet choice range, the 175gr. Nosler Custom Competition is an excellent option for consideration. As 10Truck pointed out, they are a bit cheaper than MatchKings. They do as well for me put to 300 yds. I haven't shot enough of the 178 A-Max to form a solid opinion but they did OK.
I'd suspect that a lighter bullet could really be made to shine out of that 20" barrel.
I've had some pleasantly surprising results 125gr. Speer TNT's and 110 gr. V-Max's. Both being flat base bullets may be a reason they did so well to 200 yds. I've not shot them farther. For punching paper maybe the Berger 150gr. Flat Base would work. If you try it be sure to post your results.

B

My 26" barreled remington 12"twist barrel really likes the 168 sierra match kings. At range today, getting just under 2" at 300 yards.

I have a remington 700 with a 1/12 twist and my load is:

175 gr SMK
41.5 gr of Accurate 2520
Fed 210 Primers
I get consistant 1/4 Moa

Mines a 26" but so far the 168 Amax over 44grains of Varget or R15 have shot 1/2-3/4MOA, depending on primer/powder combo, best I managed with that weight SMK was around 1MOA. Hornady 178BTHP shows potential over a few powders but I haven't put much effort into them yet. 155 SMKs or Amaxes take a detour to the right for some reason so I gave up on them.

1:12 24" barrel, and shoot 175 smk's in 600 yard matches. I have to push closer to max, but still in safe range

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok so I have a 20" 1:12 twist .308 barrel and I want to work up some good loads I was wondering what grn bullet would stabilize best and be best suited for this set-up </div></div>

A twist rate supports a certani LENGTH of bullet not a certain WEIGHT of bullet. The only reason we get away with using weights is that most of our bullets are the same shape, have the same jacket thicknesses, and have the same density (i.e. amount of lead inside the jacket).

Since the 155 Scenar has the same shape and the same length as the 175 SMK, they BOTH require the same twist rate (first order).

Twist rate versus stability is also dependent on how viscous the atmosphere is, and this depends on altitude, temperature, and humidity. A loading that is perfectly stable at 1000 feet at 100 dF will not necessarily be stable at sea-level in -50dF temperatures.

The M855 bullet (steel tipped) is longer than other 62gr bullets, and has a light front end (steel is less dense than lead). This length bullet and the *.mils desire to be able to fight anywhere in the world (like antartica in winter) is what leads to the 1:7 twist rates of the current M4 issue rifles.

BUT, in general: a 1:12 will shoot the vast majority of 155s, a majority of 168s, most 175s, but starts to be insufficient in the 185 range (unless you live in high temps, the desert, or at altitude.) A 1:10 will shoot basically any 30 caliber bullet a powdered 308 case can propel through the barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok so I have a 20" 1:12 twist .308 barrel and I want to work up some good loads I was wondering what grn bullet would stabilize best and be best suited for this set-up
Any help is appreciated
Thanks

</div></div>
All the way up to the 208 AMAX.

The heaviest bullet I would put through my 1:12 is a 178 A-Max. I haven't tried anything heavier, but that is a solid round in my 1:12, so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Thread is old, I searched and am new here and to shooting anything more than plinking.
Does weight and twist have anything to do with length?
IE, 26" 1/12 shoot same as 20" 1/12? Or does a barrel need to have faster twist if its shorter?

I've found that the nosler 150 gr, ballistic tip and the 155 grain custom competition ontop of 45.5 grains of varget to be an extremely accurate load. The best powder I've found for the ballastic tip they don't even make anymore which was RL--12. 175 grain bullets are probable going to be your max for that twist, anything heavier might not stabilize properly You can shoot them but accuracy is going to suffer.

I have run 1550 up to 190 in my 1-12 krieger, didn't really matter, worse accuracy was stil under 1 MOA. I have settled on the 175 SMK for 800 and up and the 155 for under 800.
hope this helps.

I have had good luck with 155 gr A-Max's out to a little over 1000 yards with 1-12 26" Krieger barrel. I use 46 gr's of Varget and send them out at just over 2900 fps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAN1LLA G0R1LLA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Ok so I have a 20" 1:12 twist .308 barrel and I want to work up some good loads I was wondering what grn bullet would stabilize best and be best suited for this set-up </div></div>

A twist rate supports a certani LENGTH of bullet not a certain WEIGHT of bullet. The only reason we get away with using weights is that most of our bullets are the same shape, have the same jacket thicknesses, and have the same density (i.e. amount of lead inside the jacket).

Since the 155 Scenar has the same shape and the same length as the 175 SMK, they BOTH require the same twist rate (first order).

Twist rate versus stability is also dependent on how viscous the atmosphere is, and this depends on altitude, temperature, and humidity. A loading that is perfectly stable at 1000 feet at 100 dF will not necessarily be stable at sea-level in -50dF temperatures.

The M855 bullet (steel tipped) is longer than other 62gr bullets, and has a light front end (steel is less dense than lead). This length bullet and the *.mils desire to be able to fight anywhere in the world (like antartica in winter) is what leads to the 1:7 twist rates of the current M4 issue rifles.

BUT, in general: a 1:12 will shoot the vast majority of 155s, a majority of 168s, most 175s, but starts to be insufficient in the 185 range (unless you live in high temps, the desert, or at altitude.) A 1:10 will shoot basically any 30 caliber bullet a powdered 308 case can propel through the barrel. </div></div>

Good explanation Mitch. Thanks.