• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1/2" at 25yds

persistant7500

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
Buckeye AZ
I just got done shooting with my son, his first day really shooting with dad seriously. I let him use my Savage BVGT at 25 yds prone, and damned if he didn't show me he has been paying attention when he watched me coach the high school kids. He shot a 1/2" 25yd group with no input from me other than making sure the range was safe. I think that's pretty awesome for a 7 yr old with autism. Here's looking at a long life with my new shooting buddy. Jeff............

Re: 1/2" at 25yds

Congrats on finding a new shooting buddy. Apparently, you sparked something in him with the sport. I just hope that you can afford to keep up with ammo costs. Even .22 can get expensive.

What sort of sight was he using?

Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 mil-dot. My long distance 22lr practice rifle. Way to long for him, looks like I need to buy a youth rifle and set it up for him. he's only 4'2 and my LOP is 15 3/4".
I just wanted to see what he would figure out on his own. he went and grabbed a rear bag out of my range box, pulled the legs of the bipod down and dropped behind it. He did exactly what he watched his sister do with the 308, and me made it work.

Off of a bipod no less. Very good. I'd say screw the youth rifle. Get him something like a Savage TR and cut the stock to fit him. Just save the piece that you cut off. When he grows, either glue it back on or get another Boyd's Tacticool stock for it. I got my last one for $80.

I really like the pistol grip on the Boyd's stock too. I don't know how serious you want to get about setting this thing up, but I was able to shorten the reach from the grip to the trigger, by soaking cotton cleaning patches in 1 hour epoxy and laying them on the grip in layers, until I got the desired reach. Then let the epoxy harden, sand and paint.

great story, especially with the autism.

perhaps shooting is his thing to turn what many consider a special needs into a specialty.

from what i understand about it, autistic folks tend to have extreme order and repeatative actions, something that is required in successful shooting.

hope to hear more about his future competition medals.
wink.gif

Yeah, man. Don't take this the wrong way, but your son's autism could be an advantage in the shooting arena. Think he'd be able to handle a match environment? Although he was doing it, and very well I might add, did he seem to be enjoying it?

shooting is one of the only things he talks about, and he goes through a ream of paper a month drawing pictures of the "guns" he wants for Christmas, or his birthday. He makes a couple practices a week at air rifle and is the unofficial team manager for the team. He seems to really want to shoot all the time, but I have never seen him so methodical in his efforts. It was as though he had a checklist like I make the team use. Beats me, but he is really showing a side I didn't expect.

That is awesome. As far as the rifle stock goes, I am waiting on a Rhineland Arms leopard stock for my Savage MK II. It has an adjustable length of pull and I intend on using it for my kids. Another Hide member put me on Rhineland. Good Luck !