• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1/2" clicks instead of 1/4"??? Problem...

ceylonc

Eberlestock Dealer
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2006
Memphis, TN
...I'm omitting the brand & model of this scope until I hear from their Customer Service dept. on Monday. I will say that it is from a respected maker & is carried by a couple of dealers who frequent this site. Universal feedback is that the glass is excellent & the company is top notch for servicing.

I recently purchased this scope (used; from a fellow member) out of the classifieds & took it out for the first time on Friday. I've had my fair share of scopes & was very pleased with the apparent glass quality & overall build of the scope. Upon mounting (one piece 0MOA Badger picatinny base & 30mm medium Burris Xtreme rings; scope has a 50mm objective) on my Long Shot Rifles .260 Remington, I made sure that the reticle was level & that the rings weren't overtorqued. My first shot @ 50yds showed bullseye elevation but about 2" left. Two shots later I had it zeroed @ 50yds. Then I moved it out to 100yds, fully expecting POI to be about 1.5-2" high, which proved to be the case. This is were it got strange... I adjusted 6 clicks DOWN, which should have been 1.5" but instead the POI was a perfect 3" LOW. I took it 3 clicks UP and low & behold I hit bullseye. Took 3 more shots & all impacted within a half inch at bullseye.
This definitely appears to be 1/2" adjustments @ 100yds, not the 1/4" that is marked on the turrets & within the scope's manual. Is this a common problem with scopes or have I done something in my mounting of the scope that is causing it to adjust abnormally. The previous owner, whom is very trustworthy & respected here, did not mention any issues with the tracking of the scope...
Anybody had this happen with a non-Chinese scope that retails in the $500 range? Anybody know what my problem may be? I just don't want to take the trouble to ship to the manufacturer is there is a simply solution...
Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Re: 1/2" clicks instead of 1/4"??? Problem...

Do a full tracking test and see what's going on. You just want to make sure it's completely tracking in 1/2 MOA clicks and not that there is something wrong with the scope.

1/2 MOA clicks aren't a problem and prefered by some over 1/4 MOA. Just up to you if you like them or not. Personal preference.

perhaps the scope has 1/2 moa turrents but 1/4 moa knobs. i saw some one at the range with that before.funny isnt it

Rob is right, do a tracking test first.

Since you did not elaborate on the exact number of shots you fired I am left thinking that you only fired 6 total.

If the scope the only thing you changed on the rifle I would verify it is holding POI it with at least a 5 shot group without changing settings followed by another 5 shot group after adjustment.
This would help rule out other problems.