• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1.20 and 1.25 straight taper barrels all the rage?

Kahrhart63

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
I have a 1.20 krieger barrel on a rimx and 1.25 krieger on another rimx. 1.20 is 24 inch and 1.25 is 20 inch. Also have a 24 inch mullerworks mtu a 22 inch mullerworks mtu and a benchmark 22 inch mtu in vudoo and rimx actions. I seem to prefer the mtu contours more. I got caught up with the heavy profile barrels! But am leaning on the mtu profile! If you pick your chassis the mtu balances perfect. Is there something i am missing?

Got an unchambered straight Krieger laying around, I’ll buy it lol

I remember last year it was all MTU and tuners. This year it’s straight barrels with no tuners. I have two 1.20 barrels from last year and both shoot really well and balance well with little to no weights. I started to take note of barrel profiles from one of our clubs. They were all running axles last year and well before it got popular this year. My observation at least..

Reactions: camocorvette
All my barrels are chambered by best in business! All shoot very well! Just wonder why the straight barrels are so popular

From early 2022 at the club match. They are all Krieger 1.25” straight cylinder.

IMG_0327.jpeg

I get it! 2 of my mtu barrels have tuners. Once tuned they shoot lights out with a number of ammo. My truck axles shoot very well too! But gets rifle heavy in hurry.

Depends on your chassis and what it needs to balance it. If you're running a matrix pro, then get a 1.2 straight profile. If you're not, then you have an option to go to a MTU or what not.
If only they were available right now lol

I wish I would have gone to a heavier profile or slightly longer barrel just for balance.

Krieger 1.25” straight its all I use and they make blanks out to 31 inches :)

Krieger 1.25” straight its all I use and they make blanks out to 31 inches :)
Impossible to find however. Been looking for one forever. Unless you do the 14 month order method which I should have done at this point :(

Impossible to find however. Been looking for one forever. Unless you do the 14 month order method which I should have done at this point :(
Keep an eye on their in stock inventory page. In the past year they’ve restocked the straight blanks a few times.

I have a 1.20 krieger barrel on a rimx and 1.25 krieger on another rimx. 1.20 is 24 inch and 1.25 is 20 inch. Also have a 24 inch mullerworks mtu a 22 inch mullerworks mtu and a benchmark 22 inch mtu in vudoo and rimx actions. I seem to prefer the mtu contours more. I got caught up with the heavy profile barrels! But am leaning on the mtu profile! If you pick your chassis the mtu balances perfect. Is there something i am missing something?

I have a 1.20 krieger barrel on a rimx and 1.25 krieger on another rimx. 1.20 is 24 inch and 1.25 is 20 inch. Also have a 24 inch mullerworks mtu a 22 inch mullerworks mtu and a benchmark 22 inch mtu in vudoo and rimx actions. I seem to prefer the mtu contours more. I got caught up with the heavy profile barrels! But am leaning on the mtu profile! If you pick your chassis the mtu balances perfect. Is there something i am missing?
Something to think about that hasn't been mentioned yet in the replies. Actions based on the 700 Remmington use a large diameter tennon. Around 1.2in I believe. When you use a barrel that has to be cut down for any of these various contours you risk changing the original bore diameter! Streight taper barrels that require no metal to be removed after being bored retain the bore dimensions of the manufacturer.

Something to think about that hasn't been mentioned yet in the replies. Actions based on the 700 Remmington use a large diameter tennon. Around 1.2in I believe. When you use a barrel that has to be cut down for any of these various contours you risk changing the original bore diameter! Streight taper barrels that require no metal to be removed after being bored retain the bore dimensions of the manufacturer.
Are you referring to actual straight taper barrels that actually taper at the end or referring to actually 1.25” straight (Bull, Cylinder)?

I do like my straight barrels! Nothing wrong with them except weight! I know that is the whole idea. I just like the balance of a good chassis and mtu long barrel. Dont have to have a special chassis that is inlet for 1.25. My 1.25 is in a matrix pro. The overall weight of chassis, barreled action and scope is very heavy. Apprroaching 23 lbs. i know alot of people like that weight range but i am in the lighter camp

Have you checked with places like Bugholes? They have piles of barrels in stock. All the good manufacturers in all profiles and calibers, especially the popular ones. I just ordered a 7mm 30” long finished Bartlein. It was currently out of stock but they always have plenty on order. 6-9 weeks for a shouldered prefit with my chamber preference.

Reactions: DIBBS
Have you checked with places like Bugholes? They have piles of barrels in stock. All the good manufacturers in all profiles and calibers, especially the popular ones. I just ordered a 7mm 30” long finished Bartlein. It was currently out of stock but they always have plenty on order. 6-9 weeks for a shouldered prefit with my chamber preference.
Yep, bugholes is on my frequent check list as well. All rimfire barrels out of stock and even among the OOS items they don't show a straight higher than .90"

Reactions: wvlapua
Yep, bugholes is on my frequent check list as well. All rimfire barrels out of stock and even among the OOS items they don't show a straight higher than .90"
Are you Krieger only or open to other brands?

Preference is for Krieger, but am open to Bartlein or MullerWorks.

Preference is for Krieger, but am open to Bartlein or MullerWorks.
DI Precision had MW straight blanks in stock last week but currently out. Give them a call anyway. Craddock I believe has a Bartlein 22LR blank in stock but they don’t specify the contour. Call them as well.

DI Precision had MW straight blanks in stock last week but currently out. Give them a call anyway. Craddock I believe has a Bartlein 22LR blank in stock but they don’t specify the contour. Call them as well.
Had never heard of Craddock before, thanks for the tip.

It is a straight contour, but on the lower end of the spectrum (0.905")

Manzella Precision has both Green Mountain and Krieger in stock for RimX as of Friday... I believe he has the tenons cut and chambered, just waiting on orders to chop barrel length to customers desired length and crown or thread muzzle...

Reactions: lash
Call Bugholes. They are very willing to talk to you and discuss options. Or Craddock or the others mentioned above. It makes a difference.

For sure Green Mountain has 1.20” blanks in stock as well as Preferred Barrel Blanks. You can get unturned at 1.25” with them.

Call Bugholes. They are very willing to talk to you and discuss options. Or Craddock or the others mentioned above. It makes a difference.
Made a couple calls, everyone so far seems to be out of stock for what I'm looking for. Have my name on a few lists though :D

Reactions: lash
Are you referring to actual straight taper barrels that actually taper at the end or referring to actually 1.25” straight (Bull, Cylinder)?
Straight. No taper. No material needed to be removed from the original bored blank.

Reactions: 021411
In my experience, a tuner installed on a 1.2" & 1.25" straight tapers has negligible benefit's on a rimfire. They are beneficial on long slim barrel though.