• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1.25" vs. 1.4" scope height 762 vs. 556

9H_Cracka

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2005
WAY off base (COS CO)
In my reading on various scope mount and ring options, I am coming across data that suggests the two platforms (762 and 556) should use a different height scope mount or rings.

Can you share with me your experiences and any background on this? Yes I understand there are other heights associated with the use of SWAN rails on the Mk 12 etc.; don't need the background on that but it would not be a bad idea to consolidate that info in this thread as well.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: 1.25" vs. 1.4" scope height 762 vs. 556

Leo,

I know little of this subject so I will keep my reply short. I can only say that depending on the scope you use, if it has a 56mm objective (maybe a 50mm as well but I don't know for certain) that if you have a full length pic rail upper you will NEED to run a 1.4+" height mount/rings. I have my 5-25x56 mounted in a 1.4x" tall mount and it barely clears in the front. I had to sand the Butler to get it to fit.

Hope that helps,

-Bob