• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1/2MOA goal for AR10 build in 6.5 Creedmoor

rap36case

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2017
I have read Zediker's book on competitive AR builds. This fall I will be in a gunsmith training program. I shoot at 1100yards now with a bolt 308win and a CZ550 re-barreled to 6.5CM. The AR10 build is a required project. We will do much of the gunsmith work including chambering the barrel. I need to start shopping for parts now. The goal is a rifle that shoots 1/2MOA or better with 130grain or 140grain.
1. Best barrel maker for the AR 6.5?
2. Best bolt?
3. Best receiver set machined 7075-T6-51 aluminum?
4. Going to use a match Geissele trigger
5. Need an extra long forend with smooth flat bottom for bags?
6. Adjustable buttstock with forward cheek rest?

Feedback on prices, sources, caveats would be much appreciated.

A safe bet would be to start with a Bartlein 1x8" twist .264 blank and a JP high pressure bolt (plus associated firing pin and cam pin).

I've had good luck with the JD Machine billet receiver sets.

MEGA billet receiver set
Pick your poison on barrel, they all shoot bugholes (Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill)
JP Enhanced High Pressure bolt
JP LMOS BCG
I like SLR Forends
SLR adjustable Gas Block
Make sure you put a +2 gas system on that barrel. Makes a huge difference for 6.5cm AR10's...

Thank you for the feedback! I was a little overwhelmed at first by the list of choices on google and elsewhere. It helps to know favorites and why they are selected. I am getting feedback that receivers are not so much of the equation and don't spend a lot. The barrel, bolt and trigger are more critical. I have also heard extending 2" with the tube and variable gas block help.
Someone who has built several suggested I build my own forend and adjustable buttstock. I may do that in gunsmith school to provide LOP and foward cheek rest. I am a bolt shooter building and AR10 to shoot like a LR bolt. I will take it to my favorite PRS paradise "Fouled Bore Precision" in Ninnekah, Oklahoma.

1.) Since you have to chamber it yourself just get a Bartlein blank.

2.) JP High Pressure without question.

3.) Mega Megalithic

4.). I'd suggest checking out TriggerTech, ELF, and/or Hiperfire instead.

5.) SLR and Seemins make some.

6.) Luth-AR carbine or rifle.

7.) Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.

1. You don't have to buy a blank and chamber it. You don't have to wait 3-6 months for a barrel either. Buy a 22" heavy profile Krieger from Fulton Armory, I did, it will meet your accuracy goal, they appear to be in stock.

2. JP high pressure.

3. Mega Arms, MKM, MML, or Megalithic but the IMO this rail is too short aesthetically for longer than a 20", SWS offers a couple of rails as well. You'll need to make sure that your gas block will fit under the rail this can be an issue with a heavy profile barrel. Mega Arms is good about answering technical questions over the phone, if you need dimensions.

4. National Match.

5. See #3

6. Stocks are personal preference, need to get out and shoulder some and see what you like.

MEGA billet receiver set
Pick your poison on barrel, they all shoot bugholes (Bartlein, Krieger, Rock Creek, Hawk Hill)
JP Enhanced High Pressure bolt
JP LMOS BCG
I like SLR Forends
SLR adjustable Gas Block
Make sure you put a +2 gas system on that barrel. Makes a huge difference for 6.5cm AR10's...

Great recommendations but on AR 10 or 15 I have learned to only recommend JP barrel kits. Combined with the OPS recommended parts best performance is likely

Last edited by a moderator:
Great recommendations but on AR 10 or 15 I have learned to only recommend JP barrel kits. Combined with the OPS recommended parts best performance is likely

You're saying best performance is likely only if someone uses JP barrel kits?? Some of us have built more AR15's and AR10's than we can count and I can say from personal experience that all my Barltein's spun up for my 6.5cm AR10 builds shoot lights out.

If someone is NOT looking to have a custom barrel spun up then I always recommend a JP barrel otherwise a custom barrel is the way to go.

You're saying best performance is likely only if someone uses JP barrel kits?? Some of us have built more AR15's and AR10's than we can count and I can say from personal experience that all my Barltein's spun up for my 6.5cm AR10 builds shoot lights out.

If someone is NOT looking to have a custom barrel spun up then I always recommend a JP barrel otherwise a custom barrel is the way to go.

Agree!

By no means saying a good smith and barrel cannot do it but after 5 or 6 years of helping several hundred folks build their own on Mega platforms I have seen best consistent results by folks using JP barrels especially in AR10's which are far more finicky. I personally no longer recommend an AR build for accuracy that does not include the JP SCS buffer system and JP barrel.

Not all local smiths are created equal nor do all standby results but John Paul and team do on their barrels (all their products)

I just reread Ops post saying he will chamber himself in class so if that is case Hawk Hill, Bartlien and Rock are great options. I have several of each in the safe and currently do all my bolt guns with barrels from Shawn at Hawk Hill (great guy and good friend to a bunch of us)

again I will reiterate for most folks rolling their own in garage you cannot beat JP Barrel kits and warranty

Hard to beat a Hawhill barrel for quality. Those of us that run and shoot in long range matches have seen them continue to be a top performer and shooter favorite last 4 years or so