• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-4 Power Adjustable Optic

jaxx1671

Private
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2009
Florida
www.ositactical.com
Want to run a 1-4 power with external adjustments (mil or moa) and been looking at multiple set ups. Would like to hear what people are running and likes vs dislikes. Thanks

Re: 1-4 Power Adjustable Optic

Accu-point by Trijicon is what I went with and was told by everyone else who has them that it was the scope to buy! Also heard good things about the burris XTR.

External adjustments on a 1-4x really narrows your options. Trijicon and Burris don't fit your description. I believe your only choices include S&B, IOR, NF, and USO.

I went with the 1-4x NF and mil knobs. My only complaint is that it is a single-turn (4.8 mils) elevation knob. After that, I use hold-overs on the Mil-Dot reticle.

My only other complaint is that I wish I'd kept my 1.8-10x USO. I miss the higher magnification @ 500 meters and beyond. I wanted the option of CQB with this carbine. In hindsight, I should of put a T-1 on the rail instead of giving up my magnification.

Picture074.jpg

Picture085.jpg

untitled.jpg

There's no reason for externally adjustable turrets on a 1-4x as you won't be using them. Ever.

Those scopes are good to about 300 yards, perhaps 400, and a .223 zeroed at 50 yards is GTG without any dialing at all anywhere in that range (50-300). Even to 400, just use hold overs as I highly doubt that you'll be using a .223 for long range engagements.

I wouldn't rule out any 1-4x because the lack of externally adjustable turrets. On a bigger long range scope, sure, but not a carbine scope.

Do yourself a favor and save a bunch of money (over a very high priced NF 1-4x) with the Trijicon 1-4x Accupoint. The glass is clear as air (same quality as Acog glass), and the reticle, Green Triangle, is amazing. If you want to save even more, go with the Trijicon Accupoint 1.25-4x. Both are great, though the 1-4x has a 30mm tube to allow for more light gathering and is a smidge quicker at target acquisition.

External adjustments on a 1-4x really narrows your options. Trijicon and Burris don't fit your description. I believe your only choices include S&B, IOR, NF, and USO.

I would agree with this, I've shot the NF a lot and really like the scope. Put a SN-4 1.5-6 on an AR and don't feel a bit under scoped out to 600, and still fast up close. Short dot is hard to beat but I can have 2 uso's for the same money.

Just a reminder, the OP never said anything about an AR-15, or a 223. That was merely <span style="font-style: italic">my example</span> to him per his question.

Hey <span style="font-weight: bold">eleaf</span> - thanks for your brilliant insight. My NF will go up for sale immediately.
crazy.gif

Pretty happy with my Nightforce 1-4x24 on my POF. I got the capped knobs as I can use hold overs to 400 yards without a problem using the reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a reminder, the OP never said anything about an AR-15, or a 223. That was merely <span style="font-style: italic">my example</span> to him per his question.

Hey <span style="font-weight: bold">eleaf</span> - thanks for your brilliant insight. My NF will go up for sale immediately.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not. If sincere, thanks, I guess. If not, what are your issues with my comment? I never advocated getting rid of a NF 1-4x in lieu of a Trijicon, I simply suggested that one not rule out a 1-4x because of externally adjustable turrets. They are only available on very high end scopes which may or may not have better optics than the Trijicon which has some of the best glass I've seen.

Why spend an extra few hundred dollars for a feature that is of very limited value on a 1-4x?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I'm not sure whether you're being sarcastic or not. If sincere, thanks, I guess. If not, what are your issues with my comment? I never advocated getting rid of a NF 1-4x in lieu of a Trijicon, I simply suggested that one not rule out a 1-4x because of externally adjustable turrets. They are only available on very high end scopes which may or may not have better optics than the Trijicon which has some of the best glass I've seen.

Why spend an extra few hundred dollars for a feature that is of very limited value on a 1-4x? </div></div>

Yes, I was being sarcastic. I think your opinion of dismissing an externally adjustable scope just because it is 1-4x, or because it is a 223 is ridiculous and short-sighted.

I practice long distance shooting with all my rifles by dialing elevation and holding for wind. To do so, I need external adjustments and a ranging reticle. If it works with a 308 and 3-12x, why all of a sudden does it not work with a 223 and a 1-4x? Yes, I understand a 223 is not a 308, but quitting at 400 meters is selling yourself way short. Hell, the standard TA-01 ACOG reticle has a BDC out to 800 meters.

Of course I use hold-overs. The NF Mil-Dot reticle with the skeleton dots makes it too easy. I've also banged 12" steel plates at 600 meters with my setup, and I wouldn't shy away from large targets at further distances . . . dialing for elevation of course.

I actually do like the Trijicon 1-4x, but I could never make the same kind of shots with it as I do with my NF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bronco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">External adjustments on a 1-4x really narrows your options. Trijicon and Burris don't fit your description. I believe your only choices include S&B, IOR, NF, and USO.

I would agree with this, I've shot the NF a lot and really like the scope. Put a SN-4 1.5-6 on an AR and don't feel a bit under scoped out to 600, and still fast up close. Short dot is hard to beat but I can have 2 uso's for the same money. </div></div>
I understand what I had said did not meet his wants 100% but it would save him money on something he will never use!

Yea, I should have been more specific. This is going to go on a .223 w/ a 16". Being a sniper and doing that job as we speak, using hold overs (or MPB) is not realistic. On a 100 yard zero at 300 yard the round will drop 22". 22" is not an option for guestimation. I know this because I instruct and this is a structured course during the BZO portion. Comparison of the 25, 50 and 100 zero. I use the 100 due to personal preference but allow the shooter to determine his own set-up. 0-100 is pretty much POA POI but starts dropping afterwards.
I have looked at the S&B (pricey), Leupy, NF, but run out after that on options. I like the Trijicon but, no adjustments. I like the fact Strangedays says he likes his... Just want as much input before I decide.... But the S&B is probably not realistic due to the price. So far leaning towards the NF. But keep the input coming guys. Strangedays... which one exactly do you have?

Glock24, that's a nice, yet strange drop chart. The wind holds for 10 and 20 mph assume a 100-yard zero with wind. Usually there is a wind hold at 100 yards because the "zero" assumes no wind. Any reason for doing this?

I have had an S&B that I got off the board here a couple months ago for a good price. I zeroed at 100 and have shot it at basically 0 - 50 and 600 on a 16" mouse gun. At 600 seated and slung it was merely dial in 18 MOA and hold 1 MIL left - boom, ding.

Prior to coming across this I was locked on to the idea of an NF 1-4 MIL Dot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... the 1-4x has a 30mm tube to allow for more light gathering ...</div></div>

Negative Ghostrider...a 30mm tube may allow for more elevation changes, or perhaps a stronger tube, but will not affect light gathering. A larger objective and better glass and coatings on the glass are going to affect light gathering.

To the OP, if it helps I've heard the S&B Short Dot really is the shiz if you can swing the coinage.

I'll play devil's advocate, Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20, 30mm tube 1/2 moa engraved bdc dials for 5.56mm and has an illum. reticle option. They also have a 1" tube model.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock24, that's a nice, yet strange drop chart. The wind holds for 10 and 20 mph assume a 100-yard zero with wind. Usually there is a wind hold at 100 yards because the "zero" assumes no wind. Any reason for doing this? </div></div>

I see what you mean, and after further review it appears that while using JBM Ballistics to calculate my windage values, I had the box checked that reads "Windage Correction for Zero Range".

I agree with you that it should have been unchecked, which allows for the wind even at my 100 meter zero. I need to redo my drop chart as a 20 mph wind pushes my little round 0.5 mils at 100 meters! I've been understating my windage holds.

Thanks!

There is a low cost alternative.

Konus makes a 1-4 and a 1.5-5 power. both with illuminated reticle and tactical style turrets.

The Bushnell trophy 1-4 has finger tip adjustable turrets like those found on the elite 3200 line, but you must remove the caps.

We are running the 1-4 NF with FC-? reticle.
It is a true 1X on the low end and is equal to Aimpoints, Eotech, etc. inside a room or down a hall. Works great with white light or TANS in front of it. Crank it to 4X and hold using the triangle below the circle to hit at 300yds.

I'm running mine in one of the high UniMounts. Complete setup seems to be bomb proof. One look at the scope and mount will show a few run ins with windows and walls.

Turret caps are removable and turret drums are marked/zeroable. Can be run w/o caps if you feel the need.
Learning how the reticle works with YOUR ammo/carbine can be pretty effective for leads and holdovers.

In my opinions a Mil based reticle at 1X, and sometimes even at 4X is useless. Far too small for practicality and totally lost in the shuffle at urban/dwelling distances.

We teach carbine classes and have had several officers and soldiers show up with personally purchased scopes that were so poorly matched to the task that they ended up in the cruiser and the shooter running BUIS.

Lots and lots of good products out there right now but the NF suits what we do the best.

The Trijicon TR24 has adjustable/resettable turrets. Having used them all, of the available options I would choose the TR24 with Green German #4 reticle if a Shortdot is out of the question. Yes, even over the NF.

FWIW... No magnified optic (i.e.. 1-4x) is a TRUE 1x. They may be close, and some are certainly better then others, but they are not truly unmagnified...

I am using a S&B Short Dot and absolutely love it. Its a touch heavy, but other than that I am totally happy.

TR24 green triangle. Perfect for up close to medium range steel plates, 300 yard zero = 6 o'clock hold 75-250ish dead on at 300 set triangle on top of plate for 400, dial your dope for any further

you can use 4x to distances a lot further than 400 yards.....the RCO is "good" to about 800 but very effective out to the 600 yard mark..

the adjustable turrets is a nice feature. I would venture to say its not a must have. You have to decide if its worth the coin; if it is go for it, any of the companies that offer them with those turrets have very nice glass to offer.

TR24G is one of our most liked 1-4's. It is a true 1x, and the benefits to this scope is that the reticle illuminates during day-time use without requiring any batteries. The reticle can be used for holdovers at 4x at 300 yards easily if the tip of the triangle is Zeroed at 100 yards. The turrets have 22 moa in 1 rev but they're not very robust. This scope would be great for CQB.

Here it is in our store and yes, we have it in stock

Trijicon_Accupoi_4af103a7f1eef.jpg

The NF 1-4x24mm are very good scopes. They are very strong and can take a lot of abuse. One of the things that stands out about this scope is the way the turrets are setup. You have 20 moa in 1 rev and 5.5 mils in 1 rev. The turrets are very robust as well. The reticle patterns: FC-2 is a great reticle for speed but not very good for precision. The mil-dot works very well for speed but can also be used effectively for precision. FYI, it is a true 1x that is ideal for fast target acquisition.

Here it is in our store (yes, we have this in stock as well)

Nightforce_NXS_C_4af48c9936609.jpg

Mason @ CST

I am saying remove the caps before a stage if you expect a shot over 400 and dial the turrets. With the triangle reticle on the TR24 holdovers don't work that well,the black bars below the triangle block out the target.

Get in the group buy for the new USO SN4s 1.5-6X or find a used one if you want true 1 power with the JPJ ret. I have seen several sell used for less than the NF making the banging for the bucking significantly better IMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll play devil's advocate, Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x20, 30mm tube 1/2 moa engraved bdc dials for 5.56mm and has an illum. reticle option. They also have a 1" tube model. </div></div>

+1, Good scope for AR's and the retical works good. (Not very good at night though, dosen't let in alot of light.)

Another I would look at is the 1.5-8x IOR, great AR scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cartman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eleaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ... the 1-4x has a 30mm tube to allow for more light gathering ...</div></div>

Negative Ghostrider...a 30mm tube may allow for more elevation changes, or perhaps a stronger tube, but will not affect light gathering. A larger objective and better glass and coatings on the glass are going to affect light gathering.

To the OP, if it helps I've heard the S&B Short Dot really is the shiz if you can swing the coinage. </div></div>

Cartman, your right about 30mm tubes not affecting light gathering capabilities on most scopes that use large objective lenses (42mm, 50mm, 56mm, etc.). However, most 1-4 power scopes don't have a bell on the end of the scope and the objective lenses fit inside of the main tube. Therefore, a 30mm tube would have a bigger objective lens than a 1 inch tube which would increase the amount of light the scope could gather.

For instance, the Nightforce, Burris, and Trijicon 1-4 models all have 30 mm tubes and have objective lenses that are 24mm. The Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 has a 1 inch tube and only has a 20mm objective lens.