• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1/4 vs 1/2 MOA on 1-10x LPVO

LiftedSeven

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2023
Phoenix
Good evening, gentlemen

Been lurking for years reading these forums, and finally have a question to ask.
I have astigmatism, so picking a scope is tricky. With my eyes I can't use EOTECH (holographic type of sights), and some FFP long range scopes are completely unusable as reticles magically take a "vacation" and disappear from my scopes.

I looked through a ton of scopes from Vortex Razor HD 1-6x, Vortex PST Gen 3 1-6, Primary Arms SLX 1-6x FFP/1-8 FFP, Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x SFP, Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 FFP, Sig Sauer Tango MSR 1-10x FFP and all of them had .25 moa adjustments (as far as I know)

I ended up with Primary Arms SLX 1-10x Griffin M10s reticle, because 1x was the most natural, and eye box at 10x was easily the best (at least to me, with my height and head placement).

This scope has .5 moa adjustments. It's not as clear as Vortex, but I really like the reticle and how eye box is on Primary Arms.
Is .5 moa good enough for 200-400 yards.
I know 1 moa at 100 yards is 1", which is is half an inch adjustment, which is fine, but as you go to 200 yards it doubles, and then doubles to 300 yards, and so on.
Did you have good experience with .5 moa LPVOs at distance?
Most of my red dots at .5 moa, and it never bothered me, but I don't shoot them long range.

Any experience/input is appreciated. I want to keep the scope, but I don't know if this .5 moa will be aggravating in the end.
I can still return the scope.

I have HBAR 16" Criterian Stainless Steel barrel, so accuracy shouldn't be an issue in terms of the barrel.
The rest of the parts are very good, such as TriggerTech adaptable trigger, JP enterprise silent capture spring, nickel boron BCG from Aero, adjustable gas block, etc.
My biggest question if the scope will give me issues with accurately adjusting at distance.
This is on 5.56 platform.

Thank you for your help

Last edited:
Depends on the targets you are trying to hit at those distances. Typically with LPVO's I am just using the reticle to holdover at distance, understanding that my set up (AR w/ LPVO) is geared more towards quick target acquisition and rounds on target and not necessarily stacking bullets at 400 yards. That being said, if you are dialing, worst case scenario you are .25 MOA away from your intended point of impact which I am guessing is better than the accuracy of the gun. Even at 400 yards that is ~1" so I am going to say you'll be just fine with .5 MOA clicks.

Reactions: simonp