• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-4x on an AR

rescueswimmer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2007
STL, MO
Just a quick question for you guys. Not sure how this is going to work out.

I'm building another AR and my current set up has flip up BIUS's and a 1-4x scope on a larue QD mount.

Well the new upper has a staked FSB and I'm thinking about putting another 1-4x on it, so instead of waiting for it to arrive and swap out the current 1-4x to see how it works. I am asking for some opinions.

I figure on 4x there would be no issue but at 1. I was not sure if it would interfere with the reticle.

Thanks

RS

Re: 1-4x on an AR

I've always preferred flip BUIS, but thats just me, operators will probably say keep your BUIS co-witnessed

I prefer flip but don't want to have to spend extra money on a new gas block, ect if I don't have to. Just trying to find out if the reticle is messed with do to the front sight.

I run a NXS 1-4x, FC-2 reticle on an M4 with a FSB. At 1x you can see the FSB, but it doesn't cloud the view. Anything more than 1x and you notice less and less the reticle as you crank the power. No issues - go for it!

Same thing here. With my Burris XTR, when you are on 1x, you can see the front sight in the bottom of the scope. It doesn't block out enough to obstruct anything. Once you get to 2x, it's gone. Do it!

I run a 1-4x NF with a folding FSB. If I were to leave it up, I can see it at 1x, and it is still a blurry image at 2x. It goes away completely as magnification approachs 3x, and (obviously) is fine also at 4x.

Even at 1x, the FSB is slightly magnified due to its close proximity to the scope. DO NOT try and co-witness iron sights through a 1x magnfied optic.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">1x</span></span>
Picture005.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">2x</span></span>
Picture002-3.jpg

<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">4x</span></span>
Picture003.jpg

Picture085.jpg

I run a Leupold CQT 1 X3 and have no issues with the front sight at all. If given the choice I would go with a flip up sight but at the moment I would have to change the gas stop. I will do that in the future but it doesn't bother me at all on my M4.

For me, it was annoying as all hell. You have four options:

1. Get the Larue 1.93, which will put the scope above the front sight in a lower 1/3.
2. Replace the front sight base with a Flip-up Gas block.
3. Replace the front sight base with a low-profile gas block and put a Free Float Handguard covering the low-profile gas block and get a Flip-Up Front BUIS.
4. Grind the FSB down and put a Free Float Handguard covering the grinded FSB and get a Flip-Up Front BUIS.

I just performed #4 with a LMT 14.5 upper that I am waiting to put a Vortex PST on. The ground down FSB looks great once I reparked it. I spent a little time on the grinding wheel and the belt sander after I used a Dremel cut off wheel to remove the bayonet lug and sling mount along with the sight posts. Nice way to save $40-$60!

I guess, I will just swap the glass off one and try it when it gets here. I was just trying to avoid paying shipping and removing the FSB then getting a new gas block and then I'll want a nice rail, Then I'll want a set of troys etc etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....I was just trying to avoid paying shipping and removing the FSB then getting a new gas block and then I'll want a nice rail, Then I'll want a set of troys etc etc. </div></div>

Ah come on, don't fight the feeling. haha!

Yeah I hate when that happens.
wink.gif

I would just do the #4 above. Cut down your FSB then all you need is a rail to cover it (you can build a reece variant if in fact its a 16" bbl (recon)) and the Troys... DONE!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a 1-4x NF with a folding FSB. If I were to leave it up, I can see it at 1x, and it is still a blurry image at 2x. It goes away completely as magnification approachs 3x, and (obviously) is fine also at 4x.</div></div>

On a side note how do you like the CASV rail?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rescueswimmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
On a side note how do you like the CASV rail? </div></div>

I freakin' love it! It was a very pleasant surprise. I had avoided it for a couple years as I thought the removable bottom rail section would be sloppy. Not so. It is completely rock solid.

The main reason I wanted it was because of the continuous top rail. Like a poor man's MRP, it allows optic placement <span style="text-decoration: underline">anywhere</span> on the top rail, from the rear BUIS to the front BUIS, <span style="text-decoration: underline">without</span> the usual dilemma of spanning the gap between a traditional handrail and receiver. This uninterrupted top rail allows me to find my perfect eye relief position, while avoiding the need for an expensive and heavy cantilever scope mount.

Another pleasant surprise included the 3 mounting surfaces <span style="text-decoration: underline">per side</span>. This rail is an octagon, not a square. In other words, I get 2, 4, 8, and 10 o'clock positions in addition to 3, and 9 o'clock. This is a dream come true when mounting lights and micro-dot optics without the need for goofy offset mounts.

Check one out if you have the opportunity. I think you'll feel the same way as me after reviewing it.

I've since upgraded to a 2.5-10x32mm Nightforce, but my CASV-M isn't going anywhere! I'm currently fighting the urge to replace the Surefire rails on my M4gerys.

Picture007-2.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

I was looking to replace my DMS. After looking at several (Trijicon, Acogs, etc.) that belong to guys I shoot with I decided on the Meopta Kdot. I really like the little scope. It's clear and the illumination is 'EoTech bright' if that makes sense. The price wasn't too bad either. More than most but still cheaper than a several (at least that's what I told my wife
wink.gif
).

The problem is, I decided to wait for the new Tactical Kdot (shorter, slightly different reticle) which won't be shipping until around August. For now, I just have to wait... I ordered it from Alex at EuroOptic at the end of March and this self-imposed wait is testing me.