• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 LPVO with MOA grid reticle?

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
I need to scope a URG-I~ish build I’ll have wrapped up next week. I have been looking at LPVOs for this build as there will be some PID requirements and small-ish shots to 300 yards. I run 77SMKs in everything I own, and could be persuaded to run 69SMKs if needed, but I like commonality.

Question for the brain trust, what’s available with a simple MOA reticle, something along the lines of a NP-R1 in a 1-6, 1-8 or 1-10 LPVO?

I want to like the reticle in the new Vortex GenIII but I’m not there yet and there’s no way I’m going to get 2600fps out of a 14.5” with 77s. If I could make 69s work for the BDC to 500 I could live with that, but wish they would have just let me decide and ran MOA the full range instead of halving it with a BDC.

Dot must be daylight bright. I do not plan on running a separate red dot. If I was going that route I’d just run an ACOG with a dot on top and suck up the shitty eye relief.

1-6 SFP is fine. 1-10, I think FFP may have use, if not in this rifle maybe the next.

Last edited:
I ended up putting a NF Atacr 1-8 LPVO on my rifle. Very bright red dot visible in sunshine. Lower half of view is a fairly simple reticle with windage and drops.

I've had nearly all of them. ATACR, Mk6, Mk8, NX8, etc.

The G3 razor (mil) is where I've ended up. If cost is a concern the G2 is an absolute workhorse for ~$1k

Reactions: SepticDeath
I’ve shot a 1-8 ATACR Mil and Gen2 1-6 Mil on a buddies platforms. I really wanted to love the ATACR as it ticks a lot of boxes for me and maybe it was just his scope but his bad fisheye/tunneling. I need to get eyes on another one as otherwise it was awesome.

The Vortex 1-6 was easier in my eye and I could live with the reticle IF it was MOA.

Last edited:
I’ve shot a 1-8 ATACR Mil and Gen2 1-6 Mil on a buddies platforms. I really wanted to love the ATACR as it ticks a lot of boxes for me and maybe it was just his scope but had bad fisheye/tunneling. I need to get eyes on another one.

The Vortex 1-6 was easier in my eye and I could live with the reticle IF it was MOA.
Yeah, I had read reports from other users about that. Just doesn’t bug me as much.

Yeah, I had read reports from other users about that. Just doesn’t bug me as much.

I shot it mostly off a bench at 300-500 so maybe it’s not as bad on 1-3x?

I’ve shot a 1-8 ATACR Mil and Gen2 1-6 Mil on a buddies platforms. I really wanted to love the ATACR as it ticks a lot of boxes for me and maybe it was just his scope but his bad fisheye/tunneling. I need to get eyes on another one as otherwise it was awesome.

I don think you are describing tunneling.
Tunneling is when you lower the magnification but the field of view doesn't grow. The 1-8 ATACR I played with didnt show any of that.

The Vortex 1-6 has an option for a normal MOA reticle (VMR2-MOA). Most people just choose the JM-1 reticle.

Yeah, it was a distorted picture around the edges that made my eye do strange. I have never seen it in any other scope which leads me to believe either I was jacked up that day (dehydration, etc) or he has an oddball scope.

I haven’t seen the VMR yet. I’ll look it up.

If it was someone else's scope, it could have just been diopter settings. Edge distortion is a common complaint in the NX8, not so much the ATACR.

Reactions: Clayman
Viper gen 2 1-6. I got the mil, but they have a MOA. The dot is plenty bright for all my daylight desert shooting. It take a bit more effort to find it if I try to wash it out agains a clear, bright sky, as in looking straight up.

Why MOA? MILs makes things so much easier...

However...I'd rock a Vortex 1-10...however I would also recommend PA's ACSS reticle options...

I have been shooting MOA since 2000. Learned on MOA with Mildot reticles. I don’t really need to think about it anymore. Holds are intuitive, though having hash marks is really nice. The VMR looks up my alley but I keep eyeballing the 1-10….

Reactions: thehun
No issues with my NF 1-8 ATACR as mentioned above. I freaking love that optic. It hurt to the wallet to buy it, but once it showed in the mail I forgot all about it. I’ve yet to even need it on max illumination setting yet. I keep it in the off position between 7 and 8 which is still way brighter than I need.

Reactions: FatBoy
I keep gravitating to the Vortex Gen3. This may be another one of my Sig210 moments. The CZ shadow 2 would have fit my needs better but I had to scratch the 210 itch. I may regret not putting Nightforce number 13 in the safe. If my buddy can get 2 damn minutes away from work I’m driving over to side by side the ATACR and the Gen2. Shit, I may just bribe his Mrs. and borrow them if he’s still out of town ;)

If anyone has purchased from a SH supporting vendor and has recommendations please PM me. Seems like pricing is basically MAP so maybe there a deal to be had to offset the price of the mount that I’m not aware of. Thinking I want the. 1.70 Badger for this setup. If I hate it I can always move it later.

I am appreciative of the feedback, guys.

Chris

Does the 34mm Badger Condition one at 1.70” exist? I have been looking for one NOT in tan for two days and can’t find one in stock anywhere’s.

Does the 34mm Badger Condition one at 1.70” exist? I have been looking for one NOT in tan for two days and can’t find one in stock anywhere’s.
Triad Tactical and Europtic are your best sources. They always get more. Just have to wait.

I’m late to the game. Match is Sep 10. Upper is complete short the silver solder and pin so in the next week I need the scope and mount at my door. Then a day or two range time to get DOPE to 600 to make a drop chart and some time behind the scope up close to make sure I can actually run it. I know I’ll be slower but I’m not worried about that.

Other option, and this would be way less expensive, is to by the 30mm mount, move a NXS 24mm to this upper or a 16” I have in reserve and mount a RMR on it.

Either way, I’m so far behind the curve now it’s basically just gonna be drink water, don’t do anything stupid, don’t get hurt trying to play hero and have a good time.

Sounds like Tan it is….

I’m late to the game. Match is Sep 10. Upper is complete short the silver solder and pin so in the next week I need the scope and mount at my door. Then a day or two range time to get DOPE to 600 to make a drop chart and some time behind the scope up close to make sure I can actually run it. I know I’ll be slower but I’m not worried about that.

Other option, and this would be way less expensive, is to by the 30mm mount, move a NXS 24mm to this upper or a 16” I have in reserve and mount a RMR on it.

Either way, I’m so far behind the curve now it’s basically just gonna be drink water, don’t do anything stupid, don’t get hurt trying to play hero and have a good time.

Sounds like Tan it is….
Triad says they have 4 in stock for the 34mm 1.93" height in black. If it's a URGI build, the 1.93" would be a nice height as well.

Just pulled the trigger on a Gen3 MOA and a 1.93” Badger Condition One.

I measured the centerline in my Aimpoint and where the dot is in the FOV upon snap up on my SBR and I think 1.93” is actually going to work better for me. Fingers crossed, as I won’t have time to adjust if not.

Thanks to all of you guys, as well as Jason with Eurooptics. Mount came from Triad Tactical.

Reactions: aslrookie
I want to like the reticle in the new Vortex GenIII but I’m not there yet and there’s no way I’m going to get 2600fps out of a 14.5” with 77s. If I could make 69s work for the BDC to 500 I could live with that, but wish they would have just let me decide and ran MOA the full range instead of halving it with a BDC.
You can get pretty close. I've got a 15" that does 2575fps, 2 14.5" at 2520-2550 and a 13.7" that gets 2490ish. That's all with the same relatively mild 23.4gr of 8208 load, which can be sped up. Once you're velocity is that close you can just zero a few yards either direction of of your intended yardage to get the BDC really close.

You can get pretty close. I've got a 15" that does 2575fps, 2 14.5" at 2520-2550 and a 13.7" that gets 2490ish. That's all with the same relatively mild 23.4gr of 8208 load, which can be sped up. Once you're velocity is that close you can just zero a few yards either direction of of your intended yardage to get the BDC really close.

I still have about 2# of that. It’s a pain in the ass to thrown from the Chargemaster but I only need maybe 400 rounds. Was considering H4895 as well but I don’t have any on hand. My go to is 24.4gr RL15. Old Highpower load that shoots in everything, though not the fastest load.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
Rifle is being test fired tomorrow so I’ll have it in my hands Saturday. Scope and mount arrived today.

I have been pouring over the numbers and if I run 77s at 2450 my BDC numbers will be off by 100 yards with 600y being the 20moa hash. This seems like the easiest scenario to hit IF I can train past the numbered lines. Concern is I’ll fuck it up under stress but we’ll see.

Of course, I could just run BDC to 400 and dial for 450y+.

Looking at my Mk12 numbers, if I run my wolf brass load and used a lower 3rd mount the drops are within .5 MOA. It’s As if it was made for this rifle.

I’m curious what I’ll be able to get out of the 14.5”, MV wise. If it just doesn’t work, I’ll move the scope to a 16” RECCE and try again.

Not sure why Vortex didn’t just mirror the Mil reticle in MOA….

Ahh the joys of mental gymnastics when it’s a workday and too damn hot to go shoot….

Last edited:
In the end, I may end up with a NXS compact and an RMR or and ACOG and a RMR but I am really looking forward to giving this a try.

Does anyone make a set of see through flip caps? If not for the front for the rear. This is about to see some hard use and that lens if close to the edge.

No clear lens for the front with Tenebrex. The rear is two pieces. I’ll just wait…

Took it out for the first time today. Rifle shoots pretty good. My drops are as expected with 24.4gr RL15 and a 77SMk.

100y zero on center dot, each 100y line is 100y short.

3 = 200y
4 = 300y
I don’t have 400y steel
6 = 500y
20MOA = 600y

All within .5 MOA of POI, which is inside my accuracy with this rifle, as I drive this and all my others at about .75MOA rested.

Not in love with the scope so far, I think it’s the newness. I got lost in the reticle a few times as the numbers are way outside of where I’m looking. Ran a full barricade in kit a couple times and it’s alright. I need about 20 more hours behind it but I don’t have time before the match.

Starting to second guess not getting an ACOG/RMR combo. Way less to think about under stress. That said, Overall, nice scope. I didn’t even use the red dot today and never felt I was missing out but I shot on 10x most of the time. (Hence the need for more time on this kit)

No clear lens for the front with Tenebrex. The rear is two pieces. I’ll just wait…

Took it out for the first time today. Rifle shoots pretty good. My drops are as expected with 24.4gr RL15 and a 77SMk.

100y zero on center dot, each 100y line is 100y short.

3 = 200y
4 = 300y
I don’t have 400y steel
6 = 500y
20MOA = 600y

All within .5 MOA of POI, which is inside my accuracy with this rifle, as I drive this and all my others at about .75MOA rested.

Not in love with the scope so far, I think it’s the newness. I got lost in the reticle a few times as the numbers are way outside of where I’m looking. Ran a full barricade in kit a couple times and it’s alright. I need about 20 more hours behind it but I don’t have time before the match.

Starting to second guess not getting an ACOG/RMR combo. Way less to think about under stress. That said, Overall, nice scope. I didn’t even use the red dot today and never felt I was missing out but I shot on 10x most of the time. (Hence the need for more time on this kit)
Just give it time.

Update.

The 1-10 did pretty well. I did struggle some with sight box during some of the stages, even at low power. Time + Awkward position = stress. Stress I was gradually overcoming but the time limits got me in several stages. I’m sure an ACOG would have been worse but I can’t say with certainty, though I don’t believe I could have gotten my nose anywhere near the charging handle for many of the stages.

Biggest opportunity with this scope for me is the VTAC barricade. That 3.25” offset at 7-20 yards when not straight up was a killer. It’s one area I’ll be training at hard.

I’ll be at the range this weekend checking to see if it retained zero. Not a lot of impacts but I did have to muzzle punch the rifle into a 2x6 to clear a half a pound of mud from my warcomp. Seems to have done ok after that but I had serious issues past 200 yards so I need to check it. If it lost zero from that hit, this thing will go back to Vortex and then be relocated onto a loaner rifle and I’ll be going ACOG/red dot

Yeah, it was a distorted picture around the edges that made my eye do strange. I have never seen it in any other scope which leads me to believe either I was jacked up that day (dehydration, etc) or he has an oddball scope.

I haven’t seen the VMR yet. I’ll look it up.

If the eyepiece was adjusted for your buddy's eye, the scope can look weird to you if you did not readjust the eyepiece.

ILya

If the eyepiece was adjusted for your buddy's eye, the scope can look weird to you if you did not readjust the eyepiece.

ILya

This 1-10 does something similar but it’s not distorted per day. Maybe a touch right at the edges of the FOV but I think what I may be seeing is the contrast difference or a slight color difference between my eyes. I notice it dry firing in the house but once I’m on the range I don’t see it anymore. Too much other stuff to focus on so it gets lost in the sauce.

Sell that thing and get the NF ATACR.

LMAO. The MOA reticle in the NX8 is way more to my taste but the eye relief concerns me. That said, I’ll run this through it’s paces and If I don’t like it I have a mk12~ish with a 20” barrel it would do well on. I never sell shit.