• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-6/1-8 x 24 on a MSR for hunting

DirtDart

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2010
Palmetto, FL
Gents,
I have a 300 blk that is in need of optics. I am asking the collective what are your thoughts on low light level (dawn/dusk) on a 24mm objective? How well do they transmit light to the eye? Most shots will be less than 80 yards. I would like to keep the weight down. I am specifically looking at the Athlon midas btr .

While I can’t comment on that scope specifically, I can tell you I have a decent amount of time behind the NF NX8, and recently, the ATACR 1-8.
Both of those would be excellent for hunting out to the limits of the 8X power. They were built as “hunting” scopes. Just not the hunting you’re probably talking about. ?

@VegasHKShooter , thanks for the reply. The area I hunt is south Ga pine land. I know there are ton of you guys using these scopes. Maybe should move this over to the hunting forum.

I've got a Steiner M5xi 1-5x24 on an AR and I love it for hunting. Small, compact, gathers light very well, super sharp optics, illuminated reticle. I take it over my bolt gun with a Nikon monarch 7 2.5-10x50 all the time.

I'm in south Mississippi, all we have is pine thickets. My Steiner gathers light very well and I feel totally comfortable shooting it out to 200+ yards on a whitetail. Like I said, I prefer it over my 10x Nikon just due to the clarity and crispness of the image. The illuminated reticle is awesome at twilight too.

I run a Vortex 1-4 on my SBR'd 300 BlK, which is my dedicated hog rifle. No issues with shots out to 200 at dawn or dusk. The illumination is a plus when you have a black pig behind a black reticle, twist the knob and light 'em up.

I've mounted Burris XTR ii 1-8 sfp on my 17" 7mm-08 Tikka. The image gets dark at max power in low light, but it works great on lower setting and the red dot is quick to pick out. Should do well under 200 yards on hogs, whitetail and yotes. Not the lightest scope, but balances well on the rifle.