• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1-6 or 1-8 LPV scope for a critter whacker?

Sid Post

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma, USA
  • What is the platform for the scope? AR-15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 223/5.56 lightweight (40gr-62gr)
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Coyotes inside 200 yards with a rare 300 yard shot
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Early morning and late evenings and possibly full moon nights
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Mostly 100-150 yards with closer and longer being rare. Nothing beyond 300 yards and unlikely inside 50 yards
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? Good FOV and lighter weight is better than heavier. Close to 1x on the low end is highly desired but, not a requirement as is an illuminated reticle
  • What is the price range you can afford? $1200 is a pretty hard limit though I could hold off and save a few more months for something a bit more expensive
I am considering a Vortex 1-6 HD gently used as a point of reference which seem to turn up gently used in the $1000~1200 range fairly often. I'm interested in the Trijicon Accupoint 1-8 and the LPV Steiner and Burris options. I would consider a compact 2-7 if there is something better in that range of magnification. Would a Trijicon ACOG fit this use other than being a fixed power as I can get a 4x32 red chevron model for ~$850 right now. I should note this scope is not meant for midday sunshine and I would like to have it in reserve for Home Defense.

I just put together a big game hunting rifle using the gen2 razor 1-6. I like it a bunch. It's heavy as hell though, like its big brother the 4-5-27. I too will be using it in low light and fairly short ranges. If i were to consider another, it would be the leupy vx-6 1-6.

Oh, one more thing. The illumination on the razor is too bright imo. Id turn the whole scale down 50% if i could. I'm gonna call vortex and see about doing that somehow.

Last edited:
If you're ok with a 4x top end, the Steiner P4Xi is hard to beat for the money, IMO. The new Viper PST Gen II 1-6x is also pretty nice and has the same illumination setup as the Razor HD. Neither is as good as the Razor but they weigh less and cost a lot less.

If you've never used an ACOG before, I'd probably avoid. The eye relief is really, really tight at about 1.5 inches, not great for hunting IMO.

If you're ok with a 4x top end, the Steiner P4Xi is hard to beat for the money, IMO. The new Viper PST Gen II 1-6x is also pretty nice and has the same illumination setup as the Razor HD. Neither is as good as the Razor but they weigh less and cost a lot less.

If you've never used an ACOG before, I'd probably avoid. The eye relief is really, really tight at about 1.5 inches, not great for hunting IMO.

ACOG eye relief is a concern however, I have some ex-mil buddies who absolutely swear by them. The price is a bit off putting and, to be honest I doubt I will ever need a 'war' optic that can take the beating an ACOG overseas can.

The Steiner P4XI and Vortex Viper PST GII 1-6x are two I have been looking at online. Unfortunately, optical performance from a web ad or YouTube has marginal worth IMHO.

SWFA 1X6 would work great for what you want to do.I also like the Razor 1X6.

ACOG eye relief is a concern however, I have some ex-mil buddies who absolutely swear by them. The price is a bit off putting and, to be honest I doubt I will ever need a 'war' optic that can take the beating an ACOG overseas can.

The Steiner P4XI and Vortex Viper PST GII 1-6x are two I have been looking at online. Unfortunately, optical performance from a web ad or YouTube has marginal worth IMHO.
I hear ya. I bought both the Steiner and PST Gen II and ended up keeping the Steiner. I thought they both compared very favorably to any other LPVO I've owned or used, which includes a Meopta ZD Tactical I still own and a Kahles K16i. I'm not saying either one is as good as the Meopta or K16i, but they're a helluva lot closer than they should be at their price point, in my opinion (especially the Steiner). I personally prefer more zoom in a hunting optic though - if I was buying a coyote scope I'd personally be targeting no more than 2.5x on the low end and 8x or 10x on the high end.

If you're thinking about an ACOG, I'd really encourage you to look at Browe. Ex-Trijicon guy, basically they are battery-operated ACOGs with a couple of nice improvements. The first is German Schott glass - everyone I've talked to that's looked through one agrees the glass is markedly better than the ACOG - and second is illumination that automatically adjusts based on the light level at the target rather than at the shooter, which is a really unique and useful feature. I loved my Browe and was really sad to part with it, but having grown up on traditional hunting optics I just couldn't get used to the short eye relief. From time to time I get close to buying another one, I just don't have the right rifle for one right now. If they made a TA33-style optic (longer eye relief), I probably would jump back on board.

I have a couple of Leupold VX-6 Multigun 1-6X scopes on AR platforms. One is my coyote rifle. There are times I wish I had more top end magnification, but for the most part it works well for the role I use it for.

How do the Steiner P4XI and Vortex Viper PST GII 1-6x compare against each other other than the obvious 4x vs. 6x difference? It looks like the Turrets on the Vortex might be better but I'm seeing some really good reviews on Steiner's glass quality and they have a free scope mount rebate right now.

TIA,
Sid

Sid - Just my opinion and that of my buddy I shot them side by side with, but the glass was very comparable, with the Steiner maybe having a very slight edge to us. I preferred the Steiner's reticle for my purposes (3 Gun), my buddy preferred the Viper. The main differences were weight and that the Steiner's illumination was noticeably brighter - while both are "daylight bright", the Steiner really pops at you like a red dot sight and the Viper is more like a soft glow, if that makes sense.

I don't really recall the turret feel on either scope but the illumination controls on both are on the mushy side. IMO the mag ring on the Viper is excessively stiff but I think that about all my Vortex scopes.

Ultimately I got the Steiner based on a brighter dot and 6oz less weight, but would have been happy with the Viper.

You wouldn't believe how awesome a Athlon Optic Midas 1-6x24 is as an all around 1-6 er. Outstanding scope! The reticle is the big thing about it for holdovers aside from price which can be had for less than $600. The capped but finger adjustable turrets make it perfect for hunting too. Glass is stellar and it doesn't weigh a ton.

I'll throw the C-more C3 into the ring. Don't feel bad if you've never heard of them, it just means you don't shoot pistol matches. The scope is a very serious competitor with the Razor. 1-6x, great glass, bright dot, best reticle in it's category in my opinion, locking turrets, zero stop and about 4oz lighter than the Razor for the same price. C-more has a discount code out right now that makes the scope darn near free, probably to move some product because their lack of marketing isn't getting them very far.

How does the Burris XTR II 1-8x24 Ballistic Circle Dot FFP compare to the other options. I can get one for ~$600 net on my end.

TIA,
Sid

Sid, what did you end up getting?

I know you asked the question a while back, but this is the first time I am seeing it. I have been looking at the XTR II 1-8x24 for a little while now and I am quite impressed. The version I am looking at is FFP which is something I prefer when you have 8x on the top end and the scope hasn't skiped a beat yet. I think I would have like the circle be a little thicker for better visibility on 1x, but aside from that this is a very nice scope with a simple, but functional reticle.

ILya

OP, I just grabbed a Trijicon 1-8 to fill the same role as you indicated. So far, its be great and worked well. Happy with the 1-8 power so far.
Hope you got your scope setup.