• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1/8 minute scopes

Merc69

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2023
Jacksonville, FL
I am returning to the world of competitive mid-range and long range rifle shooting and looking for a quality scope with 1/8 minute adjustments. I have my reasons and have found 1/4 minute adjustments to be to course. Open to real suggestions and don't try to tell me I am crazy and would never use the fine adjustment of the 1/8 minute.

Thanks in advance

• Haha
Reactions: BoltRunner
If I had the need for an 1/8 minute, the Nightforce competition would be my initial go to.

Also definitely a second focal plane. FatBoy...the Nightforce is on the short list...looking for other options. Thank you for the recommendation.

I have a Swarovski X5i that I REALLY like. Mine is the 5-25x56 with a 1/4 minute turret but it is also made with a 1/8 minute turret.
I also have several Nightforce scopes, I think 4 NXS scopes all second focal plane, 3 NX8's 2 of which are first focal plane and a couple of SHV's all second focal plane but none with the 1/8 minute adjustments. These are all real nice scopes and I don't think you'd go wrong with either the Swaro or the NF but I REALLY like the Swaro.

Also definitely a second focal plane. FatBoy...the Nightforce is on the short list...looking for other options. Thank you for the recommendation.
What kind of magnification are you looking for? Also, since this is sling, you probably want 30 oz or less. What price range?

I shoot NXS on almost all of my Prone HP any rifles and love them most of the time. My fixed 24x 1” Leupold lives on a WTC built , Kreier re-barreled FagMag. Awesome scope for Prone shooting as long long as you don’t get grabby with the trigger ;) (1/4 MOA but 1/8 MOA dot, which is nice for holding off)

Weaver made some less expensive 1/8 scopes awhile back ( T series?) as did Sightron I think. These would be shit on here for the lack of ninja qualities but flat range prone HP there is zero drawbacks to these scopes.

What are you shooting? You anywhere close to middle TN?

What kind of magnification are you looking for? Also, since this is sling, you probably want 30 oz or less. What price range?
Trying to keep the power around the 20-25 range max. I have used a Nikon Competition scope on my smallbore set up for years and the 20X worked great at 100 yards.

I shoot NXS on almost all of my Prone HP any rifles and love them most of the time. My fixed 24x 1” Leupold lives on a WTC built , Kreier re-barreled FagMag. Awesome scope for Prone shooting as long long as you don’t get grabby with the trigger ;) (1/4 MOA but 1/8 MOA dot, which is nice for holding off)

Weaver made some less expensive 1/8 scopes awhile back ( T series?) as did Sightron I think. These would be shit on here for the lack of ninja qualities but flat range prone HP there is zero drawbacks to these scopes.

What are you shooting? You anywhere close to middle TN?
I have a Weaver T series scope that I acquired years ago when I bought out a friends complete smallborre set up. haven't thought about using it on the centerfire rifle.

I am in North Florida and have shot in Valdosta GA at a match and there is a monthly match at Camp Blanding not far from home...they are currently caliber restricted to 223/ 5.56. I have a Elesio stocked Remington action in 6 Norma BR that Whiddon built for me. Nice shooter. I have something int he works for the Camp Blanding Matches...just have to wait for it to be built up,

I have a Weaver T series scope that I acquired years ago when I bought out a friends complete smallborre set up. haven't thought about using it on the centerfire rifle.

I am in North Florida and have shot in Valdosta GA at a match and there is a monthly match at Camp Blanding not far from home...they are currently caliber restricted to 223/ 5.56. I have a Elesio stocked Remington action in 6 Norma BR that Whiddon built for me. Nice shooter. I have something int he works for the Camp Blanding Matches...just have to wait for it to be built up,

Nice. I haven’t been to a landing but I shoot with some guys from Oak Ridge who go down occasionally. It’s a pretty good drive from Nashville.

I have had three Norma BRs and have 2 Norma Dashers. Love them.

You already have a heavy rifle . Scope will have the weight well back but my daughters 6Dasher Elesio with light Palma and a 50mm NXS is damn heavy. Like 16+ lbs. it’s not too bad but certainly something to consider.

I am returning to the world of competitive mid-range and long range rifle shooting and looking for a quality scope with 1/8 minute adjustments. I have my reasons and have found 1/4 minute adjustments to be to course. Open to real suggestions and don't try to tell me I am crazy and would never use the fine adjustment of the 1/8 minute.

Thanks in advance
After seeing more information about your requirements, I feel confident in saying "you're crazy, you would never use the fine adjustments of the 1/8-minute."

I think you were trying to say that the 1/4-minute adjustments were too coarse ("to course.") I will say that at 25X as your top end, in High Power 1/8-minute is too fine. You will be cursing the number of clicks needed to move from 600 to 1000 and back.

The 600- and 1000-yard targets for HighPower are all based on a 2MOA 10-ring. At 25X with a sling, you will not be able to get any benefits from a 1/8MOA adjustments. It's not going to happen. You specifically stated that you were NOT looking at F-class, and that's really the one discipline where 1/8MOA is de rigueur. When your X-ring is 5 inches in diameter and the difference between an X and a 9 is less than 3 inches, you need to be able to adjust by 2 inches. And that's also why F-class is always looking for the maximum possible magnification. 25X ain't it, and I seriously doubt you can hold a rifle with a sling on a 1000-yard target where a single 1/8-minute click will be noticeable.

Now that we got that out of the way, your unfounded insistence on 1/8 MOA clicks is excluding a large swath of suitable riflescopes. The universe of low powered scope (25X and under) with 1/8MOA clicks is not densely populated. I see a lot of high magnification scopes from various reputable vendors with 1/8 MOA (or 0.05MIL), but you are excluding them all.

You would be well advised to rethink your parameters by eliminating the 1/8MOA clicks and concentrate on FOV, glass quality, weight and size of riflescope with 1/4MOA clicks.

I’m pretty sure Nightforce did sell some higher mag NXSs in 1/8th, as well as some of the BR line. They come up for sale used occasionally.

After seeing more information about your requirements, I feel confident in saying "you're crazy, you would never use the fine adjustments of the 1/8-minute."

I think you were trying to say that the 1/4-minute adjustments were too coarse ("to course.") I will say that at 25X as your top end, in High Power 1/8-minute is too fine. You will be cursing the number of clicks needed to move from 600 to 1000 and back.

The 600- and 1000-yard targets for HighPower are all based on a 2MOA 10-ring. At 25X with a sling, you will not be able to get any benefits from a 1/8MOA adjustments. It's not going to happen. You specifically stated that you were NOT looking at F-class, and that's really the one discipline where 1/8MOA is de rigueur. When your X-ring is 5 inches in diameter and the difference between an X and a 9 is less than 3 inches, you need to be able to adjust by 2 inches. And that's also why F-class is always looking for the maximum possible magnification. 25X ain't it, and I seriously doubt you can hold a rifle with a sling on a 1000-yard target where a single 1/8-minute click will be noticeable.

Now that we got that out of the way, your unfounded insistence on 1/8 MOA clicks is excluding a large swath of suitable riflescopes. The universe of low powered scope (25X and under) with 1/8MOA clicks is not densely populated. I see a lot of high magnification scopes from various reputable vendors with 1/8 MOA (or 0.05MIL), but you are excluding them all.

You would be well advised to rethink your parameters by eliminating the 1/8MOA clicks and concentrate on FOV, glass quality, weight and size of riflescope with 1/4MOA clicks.

+1

Thanks everyone...Tomorrow I go and check out scopes.

Have you used 1/8 moa scopes for mid and long range prone before? I'm kinda siding with @Denys on this.

I was an irons die hard even when shooting any/any matches, but I never saw anyone but f class dudes messing with 1/8 scopes. And that only after NRA made the F class target rings smaller.

Reactions: RayDBonz and Denys
You still see 1/8 occasionally on Any Rifles around here. Mostly the Nightforce competitions. I can ask Thomas why he uses it. My assumption is the reticle. Not too many choices with a straight up crosshair or 1/8 MOA dot in a premium scope anymore.

That said, I don’t care what other shooters use. They feel comfort with 1/8 MOA knobs, fine. They like the course adjustments of MIL, God bless you. Im just glad to see some people still on the firing line. E-targets bought us some time, but it’s still a dying sport.

I will be the first to admit to my questionable sanity when it comes to shooting. I have used 1/4 minute scopes at mid range matches and have found that I can have a group building the edge of the x ring at 9:00 and one click on the 1/4 minute scope would move me not far enough but 2 clicks and I have movement more that I wanted. Three clicks on an 1/8 minute scope would have put me where I wanted. I am splitting hairs but with the option to make the finer movements I prefer it. As for clicking up or down for range; I come from the Smallbore World with a rear sight that was 15th minute clicks...1/8 minute will be a snap. Please remember I am returning to competitive shooting after an almost 20 year layoff and building on my previous experiences.

As I stated at the start my sanity when it comes to competitive shooting is always in question :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_2515.PNG
    IMG_2515.PNG
    885.3 KB · Views: 42
I will be the first to admit to my questionable sanity when it comes to shooting. I have used 1/4 minute scopes at mid range matches and have found that I can have a group building the edge of the x ring at 9:00 and one click on the 1/4 minute scope would move me not far enough but 2 clicks and I have movement more that I wanted. Three clicks on an 1/8 minute scope would have put me where I wanted. I am splitting hairs but with the option to make the finer movements I prefer it. As for clicking up or down for range; I come from the Smallbore World with a rear sight that was 15th minute clicks...1/8 minute will be a snap. Please remember I am returning to competitive shooting after an almost 20 year layoff and building on my previous experiences.

As I stated at the start my sanity when it comes to competitive shooting is always in question :ROFLMAO:

I have a Sightron with 1/8th moa dot and clicks.

It works great for indoor 50ft small bore. In this instance I can actually see since the gun will put every bullet in the same hole at that distance. I will agree that trying to shoot bullseye style targets at that distance the .1 mil adjustment is too large.

However, at 1000 yards unsupported (no bipod/rest and back bag). You'd be world class to shoot the difference in 1/8th moa. Even supported there's few that could ever dial 1 click and see it.

I think it comes down to your thinking being that 15th minute clicks are very tiny, and you don't want to give up that fine adjustment. However, I'd encourage you to go shoot a few groups at 600+ with any scope, and then honestly assess whether 1/8th minute would ever come into play. Wind will screw you over long before a single click or two in the scope.

At the end of the day, you do you. Just know that there's a very good reason what you're after is extremely rare. You'd be better off focusing on the attributes that would help such as clarity, repeatable adjustments, and field of view.

Reactions: RayDBonz
You still see 1/8 occasionally on Any Rifles around here. Mostly the Nightforce competitions. I can ask Thomas why he uses it. My assumption is the reticle. Not too many choices with a straight up crosshair or 1/8 MOA dot in a premium scope anymore.

That said, I don’t care what other shooters use. They feel comfort with 1/8 MOA knobs, fine. They like the course adjustments of MIL, God bless you. Im just glad to see some people still on the firing line. E-targets bought us some time, but it’s still a dying sport.

It's dieing for a reason. Mostly the guys that shoot it are the grumpiest bunch of fudds at every range I've ever been too.

Cowboy action shooters are the only group worse....

However, at 1000 yards unsupported (no bipod/rest and back bag). You'd be world class to shoot the difference in 1/8th moa. Even supported there's few that could ever dial 1 click and see it.

Well he can shoot smallbore prone at 100 yards like this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/whats-a-good-100-yard-group-size.7189979/#post-11160497

So I believe him when he says he can find a 1/8 scope useful in mid range prone matches. Mid range is 300 - 600 yards in NRA competition.

And if he can use a 1/8 moa scope effectively at 600 yards, it ain't gonna hurt him at 1000.

Reactions: Clearlight
It's dieing dying for a reason. Mostly the guys that shoot it are the grumpiest bunch of fudds at every range I've ever been too.

You clearly haven't dealt with the skeet and trap crowd..........

Last edited:
However, I'd encourage you to go shoot a few groups at 600+ with any scope, and then honestly assess
Maybe he posted while you were typing and you didn’t see it. His recent 196-8X at 600 is pretty respectable for someone
coming back into the game.

Although I have always felt that a 1/4MOA is way more fine than necessary in high power what your mind tells you plays a role in your game. If you can keep track of your clicks, go for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: FatBoy
I have a Sightron with 1/8th moa dot and clicks.

It works great for indoor 50ft small bore. In this instance I can actually see since the gun will put every bullet in the same hole at that distance. I will agree that trying to shoot bullseye style targets at that distance the .1 mil adjustment is too large.

I think it comes down to your thinking being that 15th minute clicks are very tiny, and you don't want to give up that fine adjustment. However, I'd encourage you to go shoot a few groups at 600+ with any scope, and then honestly assess whether 1/8th minute would ever come into play. Wind will screw you over long before a single click or two in the scope.

At the end of the day, you do you. Just know that there's a very good reason what you're after is extremely rare. You'd be better off focusing on the attributes that would help such as clarity, repeatable adjustments, and field of view.

Did you look at the target that he attached to the post you're quoting him on?

I mean, dude, unless you can do routinely better.............

I love your attitude and I appreciate you staying civil in this discussion. This quality can be rare on this forum at times and I for one, appreciate it when I encounter it.

I have been shooting competitively for over 40 years; shot my first Fullbore match in 1981 and I was hooked. Fullbore, Palma, High Power and then at the turn of the century I was into Service Rifle. This was all with iron sights. I had other rifles with riflescopes, but not for competition. After Camp Perry in '05, I discovered a burgeoning F-class monthly competition shooting locally. I built an F-class rifle from one of my AR-15s, slapped on a riflescope which I had on hand and went to an F-class match.

At first, I did the same thing that I done up to now: Adjust the sights for every shot and record the settings. After a while I started holding off on the target and stopped adjusting the scope for every shot. When the NRA sanctionned F-class and issued the 1/4 size targets for it, I got a riflescope with greater magnification to try to keep up. I went from 10X, to 20X, to 35X, to 42X, to 50X, to 60X and finally to 80X. After the 20X, the clicks went from 1/4 to 1/8MOA.

When you're talking about watching a group build at the edge of the X-ring at 9:00, I simply move the dot a little further to the right; I do not touch my windage knob. You can and should do that with optics, you really can't do that with iron sights. That's a big difference. After sighters, virtually the only time I will touch the knobs is to add or subtract elevation during a string, as the barrel heats up or cloud cover changes. It is extremely rare for me to touch the windage knob during a string. I have been the unhappy recipient of various 9s and 8s because I cranked the knob the wrong way. I hold off on target instead and use the reticle to keep me on target.

When you get above 20X, you can start reliably holding on target, if your reticle is fine enough (FFP scopes can't do that.) The higher the magnification, the more precise the reticle placement can be on target. I love my 80X with the WFD reticle.

If you believe you can solidly hold on target from prone with a sling, I would suggest you think about higher magnification at the top end. A March 10-60X52 (not the 10-60X56 HM) weighs in at 26 oz, has super IQ, 1/8 clicks and a choice of simple reticles. I would suggest the MTR-2 or (MTR-5 if you're in your 60s. Ask me how I know.) You can also look at the NF Comp 15-55X52 which weighs about the same as the March. You can also look at Sightron and other similar models.

With this type of riflescope, you will be well served in your 25X comfort zone. But you will also have the capability of exploring the use of higher magnification when the conditions are excellent (bunny conditions, trigger pulling exercise.)

Did you look at the target that he attached to the post you're quoting him on?

I mean, dude, unless you can do routinely better.............

I didn't see any reference on the picture. How large is the group? Is .6" going to effect the score?

I really want to thank everyone for the information they are providing. I have been able to lay my hands on a couple of scopes for testing, a Night Force Competition 15-55 and a March X 8-80. I also have been using a Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25 and definitely not interested in the First Focal Plane thing, they have their place and just not for this place. Just for everyone's information ... I grew up on the USMC Mil-Dot system for "tactical" use.

Just another dumb trigger puller
Bruce

Excellent development. If I can offer some thoughts:

1- The March-X 8-80X56 that you have is almost certainly the original model and not the new March-X 8-80X56 HM WA Majesta. Your demo 8-80X56 has ED glass and a 34mm tube with a 4mm thick wall; immensely strong. The weight is around 32oz and it's a fair size riflescope. It is certainly bigger and heavier than the NF Competition 15-55X52. This is why I have mentioned the March 10-60X52 as a possibility as it's much closer to the NF specs, mag range and weight, and probably price-wise also, but I don't know, and I don't sell riflescopes.

2- Reticles. I haven't a clue what reticles are in the NF, but in the March-X 8-80X56, there are wire reticles, or etched reticles. It's the same with the March 10-60X52. I know of a lot of people who like the plain wire reticles for high power and benchrest; crosshairs or crosshairs with dot. In my March-X 5-50X56 (the younger brother of the 8-80X56) I initially used the MTR-2 reticle which was somewhat similar to the NP2DD of my erstwhile NF 12-42X56 . After 7 years of use, I sent it back to March to swap the reticle with an MTR-5, which was more suited to my then mid-60s eyes. A few years later I got a March-X 10-60X56 HM also with the MTR-5 reticle and used those two scopes for years in F-class, until I moved to the Majesta with the MTR-WFD reticle earlier this year. All that to say, that there is a choice of reticles for the March SFP scopes, quite a range, in fact.

I talked with the 2023 Any/any Bayou Rifles champion about the scope on his target rifle. He says he runs at 32X and he does encounter mirage which makes it difficult sometimes for him. No mirage today, way too much wind for that. Chairs flying everywhere. He says there's a bit of wobble also but he can deal with that. He's an awesome shooter, BTW.

SFP and FFP scopes here, MIL and MOA. What I like about 1/8 MOA, is the ability to set a zero closer to dead nuts, with zero offset required in ballistic solver. In F or 1000 BR, can be the difference of an X or a point here or there. 1/4 @ 100 doesn’t seem like much, but obviously the further out you go, more error.

A vote for the 8 80 March here, won many comps with one, dropped its billet machined self out of the bed of a pickup, and held exact zero. Apparently the new Majesta 8 80 is even better. Magnification is like horsepower, sure is nice to have it when you need it and can use it. On bad mirage days, it works just fine on 8-30 too.

Reactions: Denys
SFP and FFP scopes here, MIL and MOA. What I like about 1/8 MOA, is the ability to set a zero closer to dead nuts, with zero offset required in ballistic solver. In F or 1000 BR, can be the difference of an X or a point here or there. 1/4 @ 100 doesn’t seem like much, but obviously the further out you go, more error.

A vote for the 8 80 March here, won many comps with one, dropped its billet machined self out of the bed of a pickup, and held exact zero. Apparently the new Majesta 8 80 is even better. Magnification is like horsepower, sure is nice to have it when you need it and can use it. On bad mirage days, it works just fine on 8-30 too.
The March-X 8-80X56 is some 32oz sitting on top of a competition rifle held by flesh and bone. Also, I doubt it would ever be run above 30X or so in that configuration. If I was looking for a riflescope in the March catalog to put on such a rifle, I would look at the 10-60X52 at 26 oz and I would run it at 30-35X. The 60X would be great for load development.

The March-X series all have 34mm tubes, with wall being 4mm think. They are immensely strong.

The new Majesta (March-X 8-80X56HM WA X) is indeed even better than the current 8-80X56. Super ED glass and the widest FOV of any SFP riflescope or virtually all FFP scopes (except for the March-FX 5-42X56HM) at 25° AAOV. It's also heavy at 41oz, not something I would want to hold for very long on a match rifle without a bipod or rest.

Reactions: Clearlight
The March-X 8-80X56 is some 32oz sitting on top of a competition rifle held by flesh and bone. Also, I doubt it would ever be run above 30X or so in that configuration. If I was looking for a riflescope in the March catalog to put on such a rifle, I would look at the 10-60X52 at 26 oz and I would run it at 30-35X. The 60X would be great for load development.

The March-X series all have 34mm tubes, with wall being 4mm think. They are immensely strong.

The new Majesta (March-X 8-80X56HM WA X) is indeed even better than the current 8-80X56. Super ED glass and the widest FOV of any SFP riflescope or virtually all FFP scopes (except for the March-FX 5-42X56HM) at 25° AAOV. It's also heavy at 41oz, not something I would want to hold for very long on a match rifle without a bipod or rest.
Cool thing about the 80x, is you can run it at 40x and use the MOA subtensions for hold offs. (Assuming you choose An etched reticle, I had MTR3). Super easy to see 6.5mm bullet holes @ 500 meters in half decent conditions😀

Reactions: Denys
Just shot an FCSA match with .05MIL clicks vs .1MIL clicks, I liked it better. I know its not MOA (.1MIL clicks are 3.6 inches at 1000yds) anyway it made a difference for me in fine tuning group placement.

Of course FCSA is mostly bench rest and scored for group size and score so a bit different than F class.

I admit 1/8MOA or .05MIL does limit scope selection A LOT!

It's dieing for a reason. Mostly the guys that shoot it are the grumpiest bunch of fudds at every range I've ever been too.

lol yes. This^

I came here looking for advice on 1/8 scopes as well, and every time I decide to log back onto SH: I'm reminded why I almost never use it. Fudds everywhere. The voice in my head while I read these comments is that of an older Hank Hill, telling everyone what they "don't need."

I'm a combat vet, and I regret ever putting my life on the line for the "you don't need" sub-species in every generation and future generation. I'm an insanely good shot, and if you have no desire to hone your craft to the point where 1/8 will make a difference, then IDK what you're doing on a board called "Snipers Hide," aside from using it to cram your "you don't need" Fudd lore down everyone's throats because no one at the range will listen.

*Hank Hill voice*

'Fraid I'm gonna have to see your tax stamp for that silencer, sunny. 🤣

The perfect thread... lots of great info

I have a similar dilemma and this audience seems like the right group to provide feedback...

I bought my first bolt gun (Impact Precision SA with 26" Bartlein chambered in 6.5 creedmoor). Absolutely love it. I initially started shooting with a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 7-27x56. I was planning to build a 300PRC to go to one-mile and eventually a .223 bolt gun. With this in mind, i knew i would need a couple more scopes. Initially, I was not too enamored with F-Class but came to love it as well. Somewhere along the way, I decided to get the Golden-Eagle. I also purchased an ERATAC 0-70MOA mount for my Golden eagle and used this system to replace the Razor (initially a temporary move). then I took my 6.5CM to the one-mile with the Golden Eagle. WOW that ended up being the perfect combination!!! I was banging steel at one-mile within 3 shots and even had reasonable success at the one-mile MOA challenge (18" steel). My 300PRC is still being built so I went ahead and built a low-cost custom .223 and moved my Golden Eagle to it and that became my daughter's F-Class gun.

Here is my dilemma - I am expecting to take delivery of my 300 PRC (Defiance Machine Rukus LA mated with a 30" Bartlein gain-twist) by the end of Jan. Even though i got my one-mile urge satisfied already, i want to take this new gun to the one-mile (and beyond when possible), do some F-Class and try to find some ELR matches. Initially, I was going to get something like a FFP 6-36 or 7x35 (Vortex, Nightforce, Zeiss) to handle all three events. Then I was introduced to the March X Tactical High Master Majesta 8-80 (MTR W0 or MTR W1).

Sooooo... I know the March X will work for me in F-Class as well at one-mile and beyond (known distance events) but... not so sure if it will serve me well in an ELR match with unknown distances.

Because of age and some health related challenges, this may become my last major rifle related investment so i want to make it count. I just want to shoot and shoot and shoot until I cant anymore. I dont have any expectation of winning anything, though i am not a bad shot, i just want the experience.

Thoughts?

300 PRC with no muzzle brake in a 1000 yard 2 day F-Class match of 120 shots for score plus sighters might be a little rough, but you just might be tough enough. One way to find out . . .

Well he can shoot smallbore prone at 100 yards like this: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/whats-a-good-100-yard-group-size.7189979/#post-11160497

So I believe him when he says he can find a 1/8 scope useful in mid range prone matches. Mid range is 300 - 600 yards in NRA competition.

And if he can use a 1/8 moa scope effectively at 600 yards, it ain't gonna hurt him at 1000.
I thought to myself, not too bad. Then I read 10 shots, irons and sling...
I couldn't do that in 100 tries if my life depended on it.