• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1/8 stabilize 115 DTAc's?

Jason280

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2005
GA
Will a 1/8 twist reliably stabilize a 115gr DTAC bullet in a .243?

Re: 1/8 stabilize 115 DTAc's?

If its 1-8 and you push them at least 2950ish. Some barrels that are sold as 1-8's are not exactly that.

If its Cut Rifled there is a good chance it will be exactly as advertised.

Sounds like I may need a faster twist barrel. Would I be better off simply using a 1/7 twist?

I shoot the 115 in a 1:7.5.

That is what Tubb and Scneider recommended to me years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shoot the 115 in a 1:7.5.

That is what Tubb and Scneider recommended to me years ago.</div></div>

And is what I shoot as well.

I shoot a 1:7.75 and they will not stabilize below 35 degrees. Had to go to 105 amax for winter load.

Dave had same experience at Raton I think he said. temperature/altitude threshold reached...

go 7.5 or 7 for sure !

The one George and Moon did for me does. Broughton, 26 inch. After it settled in...about 100 rounds...using George's quoted load of RL25 it groups in a little less than 1 inch at 400 yards with the DTAC. Good for me.

I've got 2 .243's, both with 8 twist barrels. My GAP rifle shoots 115's fine, I can't remember what barrel's on it, but George said it was a sho nuff true 1:8.

The other, has a Douglass barrel, and it does not stabilize the 115's....

I wouldn't risk it, get a 7.5 twist. I was kinda bummed when my other .243 wouldn't stabilize the 115's... Still bummed....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would bet your Douglas was more of a 8.3 or something...buttoned. </div></div>

That's kinda the conclusion we came to.... When it burns, it will be going to GAP for a 7.5 twist...

My GAP is a 7.5 twist Schneider and works great.

Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of building a .243 on a 10FP action, and I haven't decided on a barrel yet. I've been looking at the Lothar Walthers, but looks like the fastest twist is 1/8.

Look elsewhere as they are button rifled and I will bet they won't be a true 8 twist. Check with GAP and see if they can make you a Savage barrel with a 7.5 twist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look elsewhere as they are button rifled and I will bet they won't be a true 8 twist. Check with GAP and see if they can make you a Savage barrel with a 7.5 twist. </div></div>

Listen to Yota on this one... You don't want to go through what I did... I have "skrimpers regret" on this issue... Now I'm stuck with a rifle I have to shoot 107's through. Not the end of the world, still shoots good, but I still expected one thing and got another...

Just out of curiosity, what kind of barrel life can you expect out of a .243 shooting heavy bullets with a fast twist barrel? What kind velocity can you achieve with a 26" tube with decent brass life, say 7 to 10 reloadings?

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just out of curiosity, what kind of barrel life can you expect out of a .243 shooting heavy bullets with a fast twist barrel? What kind velocity can you achieve with a 26" tube with decent brass life, say 7 to 10 reloadings?

David</div></div>

2500 - 3000 rounds

I'm at 3130 with a 27" barrel and NO pressure signs.

Mike,

I would be interested in the load as well. Are you shooting moly bullets?

fwiw -

I had a cut rifled barrel that gave me fits stabilizing the Berger 115's, but seemed to do a little better with the DTAC 115's. That was purchased as a "1:7 cut rifled barrel" (maybe someone saw a sucker coming and fed me a good line). That barrel ended up in a scrap heap.

I then purchased a "1:6.75 cut rifled barrel (from Kreiger? Mike Rock?) and it shot <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">EVERYTHING extremely well</span></span>. From then on, I was very leary of any barrel designated to shoot 115 DTAC or Berger from being anything more than 1:7.

Maybe bad luck. Maybe I bit into a fishing lure.

Good luck and good shooting!

What barrel profile are you guys running? The long tubes seem like they'd get real front-heavy quickly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrenk75b</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What barrel profile are you guys running?</div></div>

Medium Palma & Remington Varmint.