• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1-8x or 2-10x on AR 10?

DixonFive0

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2020
I need some opinions on running either a 1-8x or 2-10x on an AR 308. It's a CMMG .308 with a 16" barrel. My goal with this rifle sort of a DMR with CQB abilities.

I like a 1-8x28 for CQB but I know I would want more magnification for distance. If I went 1-8x I would probably run offset irons for back up.

I like the idea of 2-10x36 because of more mag and larger objective for low light performance. I may occasionally hunt with this rifle. If I went 2-10x I would probably run an offset micro red dot for CQB.

It seems like 2-10x is typically slightly lighter in weight. I'm also aware I could get a Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x but $1999 is out of my range. I'm looking to spend $1300 or less.

Do you think 2x just can't do what 1x can do?
I'm torn here, any feedback appreciated.

I think you will enjoy the 1x on the bottom end more than you will miss the 10x on the top end. A good quality 8x scope serve you well a long ways out unless you're shooting prairie dogs. I've got a 1-8 and I'm impressed with the versatility.

Personally, I went with a MK5 3.6-18 with offset irons on my large frame but I also don't intend to clear rooms with it. Offset dots don't really appeal to me but that's another topic altogether.

I went with 1-6x on 16" barrel only because I got old eyes and on 1x with the Illuminated reticle its like having a red dot for me.

I did 3.5-21 with offset rds , works well enough for me but it is heavy
20210313_104729.jpg

I have a 1-8 Vortex strike eagle on one of my AR-15's and it's a great scope for the money. It's the only scope I have that is MOA and after using it for a while, I am not a fan of the reticle so I've been thinking about changing to a PST 1-6. I went with the PST 3-15 with the EBR-7C on my AR-10 and like it a lot. I don't do any CQB type shooting with it though, mostly 100 to 600 yds. For inside about 100 yds, I prefer a red dot on my AR-15's. Zero at 50 yds and then anywhere inside about 250yds you will be +/- about 2.5" from point of aim. Plenty accurate for my needs. It really depends on the intended purpose, but it sounds to me like a 1-8x would be a good choice for red dot like performance up close and then being able to stretch it out a bit on the other end. I agree the Razor 1-10x would be ideal. If you are LEO or Military, or have a friend who is, vortex has a great discount program. That's how I got the 3-15, I had a buddy order it for me. With his 40% discount and I paid 720. Pretty sure other manufacturers offer discounts as well.

I have a 1-8 ATACR, and it’s a combo that can go from 10 - 600 meters well, depending on the target size. It was an easier decision for me because mine is a 762 14.5, so I could see an argument for a little more glass on a 16”

I went 2.5-10 and canted irons on an 18" ar10.

I use a 4.5-27 for load dev and accuracy proofing.......then slapped on the 2.5-10.

Even moving through the altus sim killhouse 2.5x works fine.....anything super close I can literally cant sights and get lights out accuracy or hit the light and pull the trigger if its in the beam for quicker shots.

Its heavy and bulky for that type of work.......but I wanted a do all rifle. Good range, more power than 223, auto penetration, medium to large game capability.

I'm happy.

Reactions: deersniper
I’ve added a Trijicon Credo 2-10x36 in a ADM Delta mount this week
on a 16” FN FNAR.
Good glass, good eye box and not too heavy.
Scope is 23oz and mounted in the ADM Delta comes in at 31oz.
3x24 ACOG is 10.7oz in a GDI mount which appeals to me.
The FNAR is 7lbs 10 oz without scope or bipod.
Have yet to get to the range. Next week I hope.

I need some opinions on running either a 1-8x or 2-10x on an AR 308. It's a CMMG .308 with a 16" barrel. My goal with this rifle sort of a DMR with CQB abilities.

I like a 1-8x28 for CQB but I know I would want more magnification for distance. If I went 1-8x I would probably run offset irons for back up.

I like the idea of 2-10x36 because of more mag and larger objective for low light performance. I may occasionally hunt with this rifle. If I went 2-10x I would probably run an offset micro red dot for CQB.

It seems like 2-10x is typically slightly lighter in weight. I'm also aware I could get a Vortex Razor Gen 3 1-10x but $1999 is out of my range. I'm looking to spend $1300 or less.

How far are you realistically going to be shooting? What is the size of targets you are going to be shooting. While I understand what you are asking a DMR/CQB 308 gas gun, 10 out of 10 times turns out to be an impractical boat anchor.

For the ranges that a 16 inch 308 is practical, there is no reason why 6 or 8 x can't work, If you are shooting for groups, I would look at at something with a little more magnification.

My suggestion is that you already know what you want and something less is going to always leave you feeling "what if".
The Vortex Razor Gen III is an excellent scope.

I would HIGHLY recommend you give Scott at Liberty Optics a CALL on THE PHONE and talk with him about what can be done and the delivery time that is expected and then consider working out spending your $1300 and saving up a bit more to come up with the price on the scope and be happy.

That being said if you are hard set on not saving up any more at all, check out the Primary Arms Platinum series 1-8x and you might find that it is setup very well for CQB and will still let you do decent limited DMR style shooting at expected "combat useful" engagement ranges for a short barreled .308 semi.

I have only used a scope once and that was yesterday. But have been reading and researching and went with a 1-6 for my longer barrel on the AR. I have read many say that most of the longer 1x-8 or 10s the highest magnifications are unusable. By the time you look down the end of a 24mm objective lens, you can't see well. The high end 1x scopes are usually 1-4.

I want accurate hits at 600 yrds on steel silhouettes without squeezing and praying. The CMMG isn't really lightweight even with the 16" it's still 8lbs out of the box. With optics, a few attachments, and a 20 rd mag I'm looking atleast a 10 lb gasser. Not unbearable, but not light by no means.

Maybe I'm asking too much of this platform to perform CQB/DMR. More of my emphasis is on DMR than CQB, I just want the ability of CQB. That's why I was thinking a little more magnification with the offset red dot if a CQB situation should arise. With this line of thinking perhaps I should step up to 2-12 or even 3-15 if I run a 6 moa dot offset...

Thoughts?

Reactions: theLBC
I want accurate hits at 600 yrds on steel silhouettes without squeezing and praying. The CMMG isn't really lightweight even with the 16" it's still 8lbs out of the box. With optics, a few attachments, and a 20 rd mag I'm looking atleast a 10 lb gasser. Not unbearable, but not light by no means.

Maybe I'm asking too much of this platform to perform CQB/DMR. More of my emphasis is on DMR than CQB, I just want the ability of CQB. That's why I was thinking a little more magnification with the offset red dot if a CQB situation should arise. With this line of thinking perhaps I should step up to 2-12 or even 3-15 if I run a 6 moa dot offset...

Thoughts?
somebody mentioned this above, and i agree.
trying to make your "dmr" rifle an everything rifle just forces you to make compromises.

this ends up limiting your effectiveness without any significant return for something you will probably never need.
get a scope that is more than capable of your maximum distances and carry a pistol.

the illuminator on my rifle has a very bright visible green laser.
if the zombies get too close for the 3.6-18x on my "dmr", i'll just put the green dot where the bullets need to go. 😂

Thoughts?

Have you considered a red dot with a magnifier? Some of the red dots have ACSS reticles for distance shooting, mostly based on 5.56 trajectories that go out to 600 yards. Based on research I went with this on my AR15 pistol. And my longer barreled is getting a Vortex PST 1-6.

One of the drawbacks for the 1x scopes is eye placement because it is a scope, for close quarters a red dot is very forgiving. My wife has a MP15-22 with a red dot and with very little experience shooting she can knock down the 8" plates out to 75 feet easily. Me, with more experience can do it very quickly. I can imagine how fast one could get with a red dot and a lot of experience.

I had an SR-25 that I paired with a Loopy 1-8x Mark 8. Certainly useful, but after a while I moved the Mark 8 to a 5.56 rifle and bought a Tangent Theta 3-15x for the SR-25. Yes, heavier, but I wasn't humping it like a Delta operator and enjoy the added magnification. So I'd suggest the 2-10x if those are your only options.

I have a AR 15 5.56 with an Eotech and flip to side magnifier. So I have those bases covered. That setup isn't really DMR territory.

I'd go for higher magnification.
Yes true 1x will be better for very close up fast shooting but 2x will still work up close, considering you don't intend on doing much (if any) CQB type activities it seems silly to get an optic that is optimized for CQB rather than the DMR role you will use it for 99.9% of the time.

A higher end 2-10 is better than a low end 1-8. I have a trijicon credo and a vortex 1-8 strike eagle on 2 different ar10 uppers. If you want a 1-8, you should definitely look at significantly better than the vortex strike eagle or primary arms SFP 1-8 scopes. Good for budget AR 15, but I will take my credo over either of them, and I have both. That being said I would take a 1-8 over a 2-10 if the glass quality and overall quality were the same. But the credo 2-10 has been bomb proof for me with minor gripes and complaints.

Running a 4-16 ATACR (Mil-XT) on my SP10 (.308). Definitely not an optimal CQB optic, but is incredible when I am shooting from 100-600yds. This would function very well for you in a DMR role.

Reactions: AmericaNL and KZP
I'll toss in my experience. If your max range is 600, you won't have any problems with 10x full size silhouette. I use a 4-16x on one of my rifles, but keep it at 10x power with no issues hitting out to 900 yards on full size silhouette. For smaller targets I'll use 16x setting.

Reactions: JLTX
For me a 2-10 vs a 1-8 is more about ADJUSTABLE PARALLAX then anything else. 2-10 might also have a bigger obj.

If you want to refine your sight picture via a parallax knob then the 2-10 is the only way to go.

Reactions: JLTX

Why dont you try both and make your own decision on what works best for your own needs instead of basing your decision on heresay.
DMR-CQB-hunting- offsett micro- under 1300....

Why dont you try both and make your own decision on what works best for your own needs instead of basing your decision on heresay. What next? how much light transmission the LPVO has?
DMR-CQB-hunting- offsett micro- under 1300.....Seriously man
Agreed, lowlight should go through and delete every single thread on this forum and replace it with your post.

Maybe we could start a new hash tag, #WIOFYSH
"Work it out for yourself shit head".

How about narrow down your needs?

Not trying to be an asshole or confrontational but part of riflery is figuring shit out for yourself utilizing fundametals.
You wouldnt use a 7 iron only for an 18 hole of golf would you?

Last edited:
The two scopes might sound like they have similar ranges, but the magnification scale from 1-8 is x8, whereas 2-10 is x5.
For the same price, you'd get a significantly higher quality 2-10 than a 1-8.

Generally speaking, the 2-10 scopes have significantly better higher mag performance.

Reactions: Quintus
Agree with what 👆he said. I have several high dollar 1-8's and the 2.5-10 has better image and resolution at the higher mag and longer ranges. Keep in mind 1-8s and NF 2.5-10x24/32 does not have a user parrallax adjustment..the 42 model does.