• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

+1 for Alpha Industries!!

Da-Law-Dawg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 6, 2008
Russell Springs, KY
First off, I want to give a huge thumbs up to Alpha Industries. After a brief wait on my order, two brand, spankin' new Type II .308 mags arrived Friday!!

I recently completed putting together a custom FN build and am currently running 208 Amax's thru her. My OAL forced me to single load them during ladder testing and load work up with standard AI mags. I shortly, thereafter, placed an order for a couple of the Type II's to cure this problem. I was a tad apprehensive at first as there were a few reports of them not running well in the FN/CDI set-up. What the hell, I pulled the trigger anyhow and ordered them. Figured they'd work in my 700 if all else failed.

From Left to Right, AI 5, Alpha Type II .308, AI 10

IMAG0116.jpg

Left, Alpha Type II .308. 208 Amax at 2.950" OAL, Right, standard AI with same round.

IMAG0118.jpg

Initial impression-

When I opened the USPS Flat-Rate box, I was well pleased. They packaged the mags in plastic, wrapped in bubble wrap. After taking the mags outta the packaging, both mags were finished in Telfon coating and "slicker than a minnow's peter" to quote my late grandfather. Size of the mag was great, almost dead between an AI 5 and 10 rounder. Workmanship both with the construction and finish were top-notch.

Fit-

Next came the "tale of the tape" to put it. I snatched up my FN (McA4 stock with CDI bottom metal) to see how they'd fit. Mind you, the stock AI's, while they functioned well enough, left a lot to be desired. The AI's were not the best fit in the CDI bottom metal and always had a lotta wobble in the bottom metal. I tested the fit in my FN and the mag had to be seated in with more pressure than an AI. I snatched up my 700 with an R&D BMT bottom metal and the WTF light came on. The Alpha's wouldn't lock in!!

I compared the Alpha's and a standard AI. I noticed the catch for the latch was more pronounced on the Alpha than the AI. I taped up an Alpha around the latch area to protect the finish and gave the catch a light pass or two with a mill file. Just enough to knock the catch down ever so slightly. I tested the fit in both rifles again...Ta-Da! The mag latched in as smooth as butta in both rifles and as easily as the AI's. In comparison, the fit of the Alpha's is far better than that of the AI mags. The Alpha's fit snug with very little wobble in either bottom metal, far exceeding the fit of the AI's.

Function-

Next comes the true tale of the mags. I loaded up 10 dummy rounds in the mag and threw it in the FN. I first eased the bolt thru all 10 rounds running each round slowly and deliberately thru the cycle, all 10 fed as smooth as silk. I loaded her up again and ran the bolt as fast as humanly possible. It ran like a Singer sewing machine, again, smooth as silk. I don't think an overdosed crack-head could run it fast enough to cause a jam!!!!! In comparison, it far exceeded the AI mags again.

Next, I set out to try them in my 700. Mind you, this rifle is chambered in .22/250. While it fed decent enough, I could never get it to function very well with a 10 round AI mag with more than 5 rounds in it. That was due in part to the demensions of the little 250 case. I loaded 5 in the Alpha and it gobbled them up like a fat kid at a candy store. I then loaded 6, same thing. Loaded 7, ditto. However, with up to 7 rounds of .22/250, the mags fed great. More than 7 rounds of .22/250, the jig is up and the rounds nose dive in the mag. This same thing happened in the AI's but would start with anything more than 5 rounds in the mag. I think 7 rounds is more than adequate in a walking varmiter and more than enough to ensure the Mr. Wiley Coyote is gonna have a very bad day!

Summation-

If you are on the fence on the Alpha Mags, do not hesitate to buy them. Fit, finish and function far exceed the AI mags. As a bonus, the Type II's fit the bill for longer OAL cartridges and No-Mod WSM mags are available. Not to mention, the Alpha's come in between the length of a 5 & 10 round AI mags, short enough to be handy and not as long as the AI 10's. I am totally pleased with the mags this far and have to say that Chris and the gang at Alpha are on to something with these jewels!

For those that were wondering if they work with the FN/CDI set-ups, rest assured, they work VERY WELL. Function in the FN exceeded the AI's all the way around!

Re: +1 for Alpha Industries!!

Thanks for the thorough review. Since I will be purchasing bottom metal in the not too distant future, this info will definitely help me to decide on which magazines to purchase.

I will throw some extra credit in for Chris and Alpha as well. I think the Teflon people held his production up a bit recently. I was more than surprised to get a call from him when I asked about the delay. Very nice guy, very professional.

Just received a Type II mag myself, functions well and meets and exceeds all expectations. Ordered a second one minutes after trying the first one to make sure it would cycle my longer rounds.

The mags are nothing short of excellent. The company has great customer service. Buy with confidence.

Rich

Agreed; Chris is great to deal with and produces a great product! I cannot say enough about his customer service..

Yep, these mags are great. I placed an order for two more and I hope they come in before my next match. I ran the Type-II's with 6.5CM rounds using Surgeon metal. They work very well!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will throw some extra credit in for Chris and Alpha as well. I think the Teflon people held his production up a bit recently. I was more than surprised to get a call from him when I asked about the delay. Very nice guy, very professional.

</div></div>

=1, couldn't agree more! Gotta call from Chris as well when the Teflon coaters held this last batch of mags. He left a message and followed up via email, customer service at it's best!

Thanks for the write up Law-Dog.

My first Purchase Order should start to ship soon. Interested to see how they look/work. Triad already has a pouch in the works for these and should have a prototype soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the write up Law-Dog.

My first Purchase Order should start to ship soon. Interested to see how they look/work. Triad already has a pouch in the works for these and should have a prototype soon. </div></div>

Steve,

Glad to help out. You should be well pleased on the mags!

I'll be hard pressed to buy regulars AI's after running the Alpha's.

Keep us in the loop on the mag pouches, have to place an order when you get them on line.

Good write up.

I had excellent luck with 3 of their type 1 magazines and would recommend them to anyone.

I got some .308 type 1s this weekend. Worked great in a Manner's T5A with chassis.

I too would love some pouches; look forward to seeing these from Triad.

The Alpha's are great. That's all I buy nowadays...we just need a pouch for them now
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Impact</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Alpha's are great. That's all I buy nowadays...we just need a pouch for them now
wink.gif
</div></div>

yes a pouch please!

There will be double pouch similar to those for the 5 and 10 round AI mags, as well as an open top pouch.