• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1 gun to do it all?

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
I know it's a reach...but which one is the one. Looks like a bunch of AI fans around here...

Can a short action AIAW go from .243 to .260 to .308 to .300WSM with barrel swaps?

What would be the most versatile platform? Looked at a DTA, just can't get used to the remote trigger...

I like the EDM Windrunner style rifles...but looking for something that I can swap barrels and calibers on relatively easy...

Also, if I buy an AI, I'm really tempted to go with a .338 lapua, (could that rebarrel/re-bolt down to a .300WM? or up to a .408ct)

I guess my question is, which is the most versatile platform, and then - as in most things, how much of a price is paid for that versatility?

Re: 1 gun to do it all?

The question is, what is encompassed by a "do-it-all" rifle? Do-it-all competition rig? Hunting/comp hybrid?

One thing I will say is that you'll have a hell of a time building a do-it-all gun that's going to be a winner in comps and a high altitude mountain rifle. I've got a gun that I built to be a solid, all around rifle but I still don't take it deep into the backcountry for a long hard stalk. But if you're just talking hogs and whitetails, I think you can come pretty close a solid all-around rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question is, what is encompassed by a "do-it-all" rifle? Do-it-all competition rig? Hunting/comp hybrid?

One thing I will say is that you'll have a hell of a time building a do-it-all gun that's going to be a winner in comps and a high altitude mountain rifle. I've got a gun that I built to be a solid, all around rifle but I still don't take it deep into the backcountry for a long hard stalk. But if you're just talking hogs and whitetails, I think you can come pretty close a solid all-around rifle. </div></div>

This.

Looks like I need a few more guns
smile.gif
. Thanks guys.

I used to think I could get a rifle made to cover all the bases. I hunt deer, elk, pig, groundhogs, coyote, fox, and black bear. I ended up with a 17lb 300winmag that is a tack driving sonofbitch. I learned very quickly that it absolutely SUCKS humping this gun long distances due to weight, that it is way overkill for groundhogs fox and coyote, and that it is long at 26in making it annoying getting in and out of our deer stands. So I came to the conclusion that I need a specific gun for each specific goal. Hence Im in the process of building a light, short, smaller caliber rig made in 6.5x47 lapua. My suggestion is figure out all your goals for your firearms. Group them together based on needs. Then build the fewest amount of guns to cover your goals. I think I can pretty much cover all of my bases with my 300winmag, 6PPC bench gun, and 6.5x47 build. My 0.02

Why would you have just one gun?

Just for argument sake I would throw in the old 30-06 if you were looking for just one.

I was thinking more along the lines of one platform, with multiple caliber options for different objectives.

A .260 seems to be THE ticket for steels out to 1k yrds...and swapping barrels gives me a .308 I can take most north american game with (with solid shot placement).

My current .308 is a tack driving SAC build on a trued Remington action...not the quickest change option, although I know I could just grab another barrel for it...but at the cost of the barrel, might it make more sense to build another rifle?

I have a PILE of .300wm reloading components from my old rifle (should've never traded the thing)...

I think the more time I spend driving a specific rifle/chassis/setup the more proficient I'll become, so it would make sense to change as little about that setup as possible...

Then of course I'd love a .338 or .408 in the collection for when I get the urge/opportunity to send five-dollar bills downrange.

Sounds like maybe a Savage could fit the bill for you!

I think a AR10 platform in a flat shooting caliber such as 260 or 243 would be one of your best options for a 1 gun to do it all concept. You could do close quarters work or long range work. The only problem is barrel life. With that considered you might be better off running an AR10 platform in 308 with a 155 grn bullet. Better barrel life and splitting the difference in ballistics of the flatter shooting calibers and the 308 with 175's.

Changing calibers on the Windrunner is about as simple as it get, though obviously you're somewhat limited in available calibers. Right now I think the SRS is about the only one that can handle most short and long action cartridges in a single system (ie .243 to .338LM). Barrett's MRAD is expected to have the functionality as soon as they more cartridge options (look for this at SHOT). AI is definitely becoming more modular, but as far as I know they're not as field convertible as the above rifles.

So your choices are limited if you want a single platform to do it all. Still, I think this new renaissance in modularity is a very good development both for mil and civie shooters. When it's as simple as swapping calibers and adjusting the scope to a repeatable shift in POI, you've got a very versatile platform.

If you don't plan on changing your caliber on the fly in the field, then a savage fits the bill. I know of a few people who switch barrels often on their savage rifles, some once a year when they get bored, others, it seems every time they go to the range.

The conclusion I've come to: Make more money....Buy more guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jig Stick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My suggestion is figure out all your goals for your firearms. Group them together based on needs. Then build the fewest amount of guns to cover your goals. I think I can pretty much cover all of my bases with my 300winmag, 6PPC bench gun, and 6.5x47 build. My 0.02 </div></div>

This is good advice.

You can go between 300wm and 338 LM using the AIAWSM, or the AIAX platform, bu switching the barrel and bolt. In theory it is possible and can be done with the appropriate tools. The problem is getting the correct bolt gor the cartridge. AINA dosnt sell you the bolt. BTW, the design is proprietary, so you may be out luck there.

You can forget about the 408 CT. Last I heard, AI is not going in that direction. It would be nice to have one gun that does evrything, but thats like finding the Holy grail in shooting.

I would lookand see what kind of distance you can shoot around your locala area and get a gun for that. If the maximum distance is only 600 yards, then getting the 338LM may not be the most bang for your bucks. Of course, unless you are talking about the "I want factor". If you are going down that path then, you can forget the original premise of one gun does evrything. Just saying...

I just viewed L.L. On YouTube with a new AI rifle with quick barrel change options. Took him the better part of two minutes to remove the barrel. I would wait until next week to see what's up!

Unlike the DTA system, the AI system requires that you hump around a barrel vise, torque wrench (100 lbs- I believe), action wrench. I don't think it was intended to be "swapped" out a new barrel with minimal tool, and re-engage targets. At least, that was my understanding.

A .243, 260rem & 308win all use the same sized bolt face. But a .300wsm will need a mag bolt face.

To me, I would rather have a few rifles with the same stocks and scopes in different calibers and barrel contours.

I seriously thought about a DTA and multi-caliber platforms, but consider that the weight of the rifle matters for recoil. In order words, you have a 260rem, you can get a lighter contour barrel and stock, without as much concern for recoil. The lighter rifle is going to be easier to pack as well. However in a 338 Lapua, I'm going to want a much heavier rifle to handle the recoil.

There is also something to be said about having a rifle that is sighted and consistant. One that you can just pick up, be confident that you can make a cold bore shot at long distance, and not having to worry about re-zeroing it etc first.

the .243, .260, and .308 all have the same bolt face but the .260 120-140 gr can cover pretty much everything the other two can do, just switch bullets not barrels