• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 1 in hunting glass

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I have a browning a-bolt that is a freak of nature. It is a 7wsm that will shoot 162 amaxes into groups that you will call me a lier on if you saw them. It weighs upper 5s lower 6s with no glass. I have been running a burris 4.5-14 fullfield on it. Ok hunting scope. I want a great scope on this rifle. It shoots so well and will reach so far it deserves something good to get the full potential. I wanted to shoot a buck last year right at dark at about 350yds but I was just afraid he wasn't old enough and couldn't see well enough through the burris. I really don't want a 30 mm tube b/c of weight and shear size. My 1st choice is the zeiss 4.5-14 conquest. I am a knob turner b/c unless you just don't have time I see no reason to hold over when you can hold exact. I have nice scopes. Nightforces and and Mark 4s and I have owned a us optics. Some have said the new nikon monarch will get a much light as the zeiss and maybe more. What say you with experience with more than one of these I have spoke about.
Thanks
t

Re: 1 in hunting glass

The Fullfield II's are not bad scopes, I have 2 on hunting rifles myself. For lowlight and knob turning I would try the new Monarch X and the Zeiss's are always a good bet. It will be a compromise for a hunting scope with target knobs.

IME, conquests can be hit or miss. I've had 3 4-14's, now down to one, the best of the three...a 4-14x50 MDot which is on a 243 I use for varmints.
All three were good scopes but the issues I had with the two I sold was edge to edge sharpness and color rendition. I am a bit picky when decisions on scopes involve good glass for hunting.
I use Diavaris now for my hunting rifles.

Judging a deer at 350 in low-light will require power and it is a fact that at power, light gets scarce.
The Diavaris dont give up much in that department.

If you have a 200 yard zero, 350 should be easy with the 7wsm without turning knobs.

I have a friend that has a Browning A-bolt in .300WM. I talked him into putting a S&B 3-12 PMII on it. That scope turned that rifle into a long range killing machine. Its a little bit heavier than an average scope but those rifles are really light anyway. The twilight factor on that scope is about as good as it gets for seeing in dim light.

absolutly 350 is really no stretch with a 200 yd 0. I sometimes have a need to shoot farther than that. Way farther than that. We hunt mostly southern bean fields. I have a 280 AI that has a 5.5-22 nsx on it but I really like my 7wsm for hunting from my blinds.
T