• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

1 Mile short video

ScottyS

Now with more M40A1
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2004
Reno, NV
Chuck's 6.5 Creedmoor vs. my .308 Winchester at 1 mile. The CM won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzGuJK8QJI

I should mention that this was a purely academic exercise. We had the ammo, space, time, and cameras to try it out. And so we did. We certainly did not optimize the ammo for 1 mile, these were our everyday working loads for all conditions.

Pretty fun, what with the serious trajectory and flight time. Too far to hear the steel impact, though. Seeing the trace after about 1000yds was impossible, due to the rapid drop.

Re: 1 Mile short video

Thats a nice place to shoot. Wish i had a place like that.

Very cool! The boys and I are trying to figure out where you guys are! My boys recognized spanish springs and the Indian Res. Police station.

Great video Scotty!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool! The boys and I are trying to figure out where you guys are! My boys recognized spanish springs and the Indian Res. Police station.

Great video Scotty! </div></div>

Heck ya, We are gonna have to hook up with you guys and do the same with the real 1000+ cartridges.....

good shooting that far .

looks like you were pushing the 308 to the barrel limits, to bad you did not have more than the 22" barrel on the 155's . A little under Vel. for max 155 performance with the short bore length .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: softcock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good shooting that far .

looks like you were pushing the 308 to the barrel limits, to bad you did not have more than the 22" barrel on the 155's . A little under Vel. for max 155 performance with the short bore length .
. </div></div>

Yep, I ran the first ~1000 through this barrel at around 2930, and it did well at long range and in hot weather. I always felt like it was at the max, so I dropped it 0.5gr just to be nice to the lands and brass. So far, for all realistic ranges, I haven't felt handicapped.

Scotty, what was your wind like that day and what was your Mil/MOA elevation hold. My buddy and I shoot our 260s out to a mile(for fun). He shoots the 123 and I shoot the 139.

Great video by the way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats a nice place to shoot. Wish i had a place like that. </div></div>

+1, makes me want to move the hell out of Ct even more

Your vids with the target cam are nicely done. Looked like a second round hit there with the Creedmore too, good shooting.

How about some details on the target stand? Seemed like it worked simply and well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tullius</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your vids with the target cam are nicely done. Looked like a second round hit there with the Creedmore too, good shooting.

How about some details on the target stand? Seemed like it worked simply and well. </div></div>

That's Chuck's homespun target holder, works well. It's just some poles pounded into the ground and a crosspole with large welded nuts that just drop over the verticals to the welded flanges.

Yeah, we later determined that he tagged the top of the head with the second shot.....one-upping my 1st-rd headshot at 1100 the previous time we went out. Naturally, we are aiming CoM, so it's a fluke. But, any hit is a good hit at those ranges.

ashland.....I don't recall the values, we did this back in December and I'm currently sitting the Las Vegas airport far from my field pack. All I can tell you is that we both have NXS's and 20MOA rails and were maxed on elevation and shooting multiple Mil's holdover on top of that. Chuck might chime in with his values soon though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool! The boys and I are trying to figure out where you guys are! My boys recognized spanish springs and the Indian Res. Police station.

Heck ya, We are gonna have to hook up with you guys and do the same with the real 1000+ cartridges.....</div></div>

And people don't believe me when I say my backyard growing up was 75 miles in three directions. Nice video. I'd love to come out and see how my 7mm stacks up.

Where are you at? G'ville/Minden?

I think I was around 22 mils, I was able to dial 17 and then I held 5 or so with a 1.5 left hold for wind and spin. The light and wind was perfect on that day.

The target is 3/8's AR500 hung with a rubber bareing cut down to 2" which allows the target to turn slightly and that makes spotting the hits much easrier.

I will try to post some pictures of it.

What kinda set up you guys have on your rig? I have 6.5CM 25" Shllen Match Select on an AICS 2.0 with 20MOA rail and a 12-42x56mm NF scope and using some 140AMAX match clones and the farthest I could shoot them out is 1250y as I maxed out all elevation adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Chuck's 6.5 Creedmoor vs. my .308 Winchester at 1 mile. The CM won.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRzGuJK8QJI

I should mention that this was a purely academic exercise. We had the ammo, space, time, and cameras to try it out. And so we did. We certainly did not optimize the ammo for 1 mile, these were our everyday working loads for all conditions.

Pretty fun, what with the serious trajectory and flight time. Too far to hear the steel impact, though. Seeing the trace after about 1000yds was impossible, due to the rapid drop.
</div></div>

A steeper rail will help a lot at those distances. I was doing the math for an upcoming shoot and my Razor (currently on a 45 moa rail) gives me 28 mil up and 9 mil holdover for a total of 37 mil. That means I can dial 2000+ yds and hold over to 2300+... And I *still* have 10 mil down with a 100 yd. zero.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A steeper rail will help a lot at those distances. I was doing the math for an upcoming shoot and my Razor (currently on a 45 moa rail) gives me 28 mil up and 9 mil holdover for a total of 37 mil. That means I can dial 2000+ yds and hold over to 2300+... And I *still* have 10 mil down with a 100 yd. zero.

John</div></div>

John,

How you doing? I'm trying to break in on this fun. I keep seeing all these Nevada guys coming out of the woodwork. And damn I wish I was back out there.
I got into the .300 magnum game again....couldn't help it. I bought a ".308 Norma mag" Except it wasn't a .308 Norma mag. It was a 7mm RM/.30-.338 body with a long neck. .308 Norma length...just not the body. So, I ended up getting a PTG reamer and cleaning out that .050" or so of the shoulder.
Anyhow, I got it out today and it shot one big hole of just under an inch total for it's first group and one hole just under two diameters for it's second group. Needless to say I'm happy with it. It now qualifies to go to Nevada with me and see how far it can shoot. That is if I can link up with some of these guys. I sure ain't going out there to spend any time with relatives/hometown friends of mine to go shooting. That's a one way ticket to a ruined vacation.

264shooter, that sounds about right. We shot about 3 weeks ago and it took me 85.5 MOA to get to a mile with 140 Bergers. The 139s took about 89 to 90 MOA. We are about 50' ASL and the DA was about 1000 that day.

I've got a 40 MOA base with a NF NPR1 and its maxed out at that range.

You forgot to stop at the Lake.
smile.gif

Nice work. What program do you use to edit your video?

Nice video ! What software are you using to edit/make movie ?

I am looking to set up a remote camera for shooting at 2000+ yrds. was wondering if you could view the remote camera as you were shooting or if you just recorded

I cannot believe you were shooting that far with a 15x max, even the 22x...

But I don't own a nightforce, perhaps I need to change that

Just passed thru Spanish Springs after doing some 2000yard plinking, alot of the mustangs at the BLM wild horse facility just had new colts ( must have been over 100 new borns) They looked like they could barely walk on their shaky long legs!

Sandbogg, What up with that?

You drive over to play in my back yard and I don't even get an invite to go with. LOL

If you haven't already found a good place let me know and I can give you directions to our spot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottyS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very cool! The boys and I are trying to figure out where you guys are! My boys recognized spanish springs and the Indian Res. Police station.

Heck ya, We are gonna have to hook up with you guys and do the same with the real 1000+ cartridges..... </div></div>

That was a great video, thanks for sharing. I thought the terrain looked familiar, I'm always looking for people to shoot with. PM me when you get a chance. The weather is just starting to get nice, gonna be getting out almost every weekend now.

-SBS

Proves I've always got something to learn. I didn't think a .308 Win was capable of that.

Nice shooting!