• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

1 piece or 2 piece base?

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
Should I go with a 1 piece nightforce base vs 2 piece for a remington 300 win mag. How much of a disadvantage is loading with a one piece?

Re: 1 piece or 2 piece base?

You'll hear different arguements for both. Do you need or want a base w/ a cant; I think that is one of the factors to consider.

two piece for saving weight and one piece for straighter alignment with bore and multiple angle availability, like 20 MOA etc options.
hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I go with a 1 piece nightforce base vs 2 piece for a remington 300 win mag. How much of a disadvantage is loading with a one piece? </div></div>

I can't comment on a 2 piece base as I don't own one, but I do like the solid one piece bases as I own two rifles with those. My 30-06 wears a Badger 1 pc base and is hinged floor plate with internal magazine. I have not had any trouble loading rounds from the top. My 7wsm has a "Non-Typical" style base which is 1 pc with a partial cutout for top feeding.

attherange hit it! if you need more elevation in your scope, for the distances you shoot, one piece is the easiest way to achieve that.

I've never had a problem loading with a one piece base. It's just something you get used to.

Ben-Sons hit a good point as I have always heard that the one piece base adds rigidity to the Action making it a little more accurate. Don't know how true it really is, but if you believe it works, then it will help you think it is better. I run the 20 MOA to get my scopes to zero in the bottom of the Scope adjustment range to always have plenty of upward adjustment for long range.

Good Luck!!!

One piece looks way more cooler. Stiffen the action? Maybe, but it's not necessary. Many a rifle shoot wonderfully with a 2 piece.

If it is a consideration- I also run a floorplate and have used both the one and two piece NF rails. I have had no problems top loading with the one piece rail. In fact, I don't find there is much of a difference accessing the chamber between the two options.

Weight difference is considerable though.

I now have all one piece rails for no other reason than I like them better.

Looks like I will be going with the one piece after reading all the posts. I didn't think loading would be a problem, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks everyone for your help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ben-Sons hit a good point as I have always heard that the one piece base adds rigidity to the Action making it a little more accurate.</div></div>

I'll play devils advocate. Mike, atTacOps, would disagree with the quoted statement. He and many other people feel that a one piece adds stress on the receiver, possibly degrading accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ben-Sons hit a good point as I have always heard that the one piece base adds rigidity to the Action making it a little more accurate.</div></div>

I'll play devils advocate. Mike, atTacOps, would disagree with the quoted statement. He and many other people feel that a one piece adds stress on the receiver, possibly degrading accuracy. </div></div>

That's something I'd like to put to the test. I can't say 100% either way. Something I plan on testing thoroughly.
-Sons

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ben-Sons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ben-Sons hit a good point as I have always heard that the one piece base adds rigidity to the Action making it a little more accurate.</div></div>

I'll play devils advocate. Mike, atTacOps, would disagree with the quoted statement. He and many other people feel that a one piece adds stress on the receiver, possibly degrading accuracy. </div></div>

That's something I'd like to put to the test. I can't say 100% either way. Something I plan on testing thoroughly.
-Sons </div></div>

You'll need a sled, a lathe, an excellent scale, a very steady hand, a warehouse, and lots of other things if you plan on gaining any empirical evidence, for either argument. Fortunately, our hobby is practical, precision rifle, not bench rest shooting and competitions for our hobby can be won with any decent half MOA rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dan25</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like I will be going with the one piece after reading all the posts. I didn't think loading would be a problem, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks everyone for your help. </div></div>

If you have fat fingers it sometimes can be a problem. I run a one piece today but the rifle has a detachable mag. Before that, I had to run a two piece because a round would occasionally drop to the inside when loading the internal mag and I just could not get my fat fingers in there with a 1 piece to get it out forcing me to drop all the rounds. If you don't have sausage fingers then it's probably OK but I seem to have that issue.

In terms of accuracy and stability, I can't tell the difference in accuracy or scope operation between the 1 and 2 piece Luppy Mark 4 mounts.

any decent half MOA rifle.

Agreed that our hobby/addiction doesn't call for laser guided precission.

I like to have the answers for why we do what we do, as far as gear goes.
I hate telling someone "it's just what I use" I'd like to have a REAL reason with proof

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ben-Sons</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cavemanmoore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rick 324</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ben-Sons hit a good point as I have always heard that the one piece base adds rigidity to the Action making it a little more accurate.</div></div>

-Sons </div></div>

you bet you will NEVER be able to shoot the difference.